Norcold not cold

bobg333

We just got back from our first weekend outing in our Grandby. I fired up the refrig (Norcold 3-Way) running on propane in the driveway, friday at noon. Drove to the campsite a few hours later and leveled the rig to within 2° using a 6-foot level. At noon the next day it was 60° in the frig on max cold. First things first, I moved all the beer to the ice chest and checked the pilot light; still on. That afternoon (still 60° in the frig), in disgust, I switched it to DC (couldn't be worse, right?). Then unfortunately forgot to switch it back and killed the house battery over night. I switched it to propane this morning, we're back now and it's still 62° in there. Any ideas? The manual says it should work within 6° of level fore and aft and 3° laterally.

Do you have to do this silly leveling exercise with the Engel too?

I have used my Norcold for 1 to 2 weeks at a time on propane and although I do like to have the camper pretty level I don't fuss that much.I actually like to have the front of the camper up a little because I don't like to sleep downhill.I use a little water in the sink to check for level but I don't get anal about it.If the flame is working it sounds like the gas absorbtion unit is plugged up and that is not good.Engel reefers actually have electric compressors and although being exactly level is not critical it is always a good idea to have any reefer unit somewhat level.

bob,

We plug into shore power the night before we leave to cool the fridge to 40 to begin with. Give it a try at home and then switch to propane and see what you've got. The unit may have just started too warm, though as LM points out it could also be a problem with the cooling unit. Good Luck.

I do the same as DLN. Plug into 120 volt AC a couple of days before loading up the refr.

I did try once just turning on the propane to cool it down and it would not cool down. Added bunch of ice and that helped. Never have had a problem pre cooling with AC current.

Try with AC and then put some stuff(beer?) in it and switch over to propane and see if it stays cool. A good excuse to go into the camper in the driveway and test the beer inside for coolness.:thumb:

It might take a couple of driveway beers to make sure it is working.

I always fire up the fridge at least 5hrs on AC befoer each trip. When i leave i switch to propane (DC only on long trips-and then i am real careful not to forget to switch back to propane as battery drains quick when the truck is not running) Also-Make sure your rig is LEVEL when you start it up. I am on my 3rd norcold. I guess 3 is a charm as this one has been working well for 3 years now.

Hope this is useful.

David

dmerv,
If I may ask, what was the problem with the first two Norcolds?

3rd norcold

I installed a norcold a few months back and was wondering also why the 3rd one dmerv? I have had no problems whatsoever with mine.

Back
Top Bottom