North Rim and Southern Utah trip report

takesiteasy

Seems like fall is a popular time to visit the southwest. We finished our trip last week. We spent about 3 weeks tourning the North Rim and southern Utah. Here are links to the blog posts. There are 3 in total.

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2016/10/north-rim-and-southern-utah-part-1.html

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2016/10/north-rim-and-southern-utah-part-2.html

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2016/10/north-rim-and-southern-utah-part-3.html

Here is a teaser pic:

IMG_3830.jpg

Great trip, but there is no way you could get me to dangle my feet over that cliff. Wow, that's a drop!

Thanks for taking us with you!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Great trip, but there is no way you could get me to dangle my feet over that cliff. Wow, that's a drop!

Thanks for taking us with you!
I just couldn't resist, haha. It is quite a drop. Thanks for the comment.

What a great adventure for you two! It quickly gets overwhelming with the onslaught of people in our popular National Parks, doesn't it. Congrats to Kathy and her team on taking the silver. Dangling the feet at Toroweep Point is the way to do it. You have many very nice photographs that will quickly bring back wonderful memories. Great introduction in Part One and thanks for letting us come along! :)

Not going to dangle my feet! I would love to do most of that trip though if I ever wind up with three weeks off. Grats to Kathy also.

Great trip! Enjoyed reading the reports. There is so much to see that there is always more for the next trip.

ski3pin said:
What a great adventure for you two! It quickly gets overwhelming with the onslaught of people in our popular National Parks, doesn't it. Congrats to Kathy and her team on taking the silver. Dangling the feet at Toroweep Point is the way to do it. You have many very nice photographs that will quickly bring back wonderful memories. Great introduction in Part One and thanks for letting us come along! :)
craig333 said:
Not going to dangle my feet! I would love to do most of that trip though if I ever wind up with three weeks off. Grats to Kathy also.
Cayuse said:
Great trip! Enjoyed reading the reports. There is so much to see that there is always more for the next trip.
Smokecreek1 said:
Good trip report and great pictures-thanks for taking us along!

Smoke
Thanks for the nice comments. Special thanks to Cayuse for the tip on Cottonwood Canyon. That was a highlight for us.

What an amazing trip. I've always enjoyed your trip reports. Not many of us midwesterner's with blogs. Thinking about our fall 2017 trip RMNP, Trail Ridge Road, down to Telluride, Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Thinking about venturing into Utah. I'll PM when I get into the real planning stage. Again amazing photos and great TR. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

longhorn1 said:
What an amazing trip. I've always enjoyed your trip reports. Not many of us midwesterner's with blogs. Thinking about our fall 2017 trip RMNP, Trail Ridge Road, down to Telluride, Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Thinking about venturing into Utah. I'll PM when I get into the real planning stage. Again amazing photos and great TR. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app
Thanks for the comments. We got lots of good advice from folks here on the forum. Be happy to add my 2 cents.

I spent some time on the North Rim, Tuweep and the Kaibab plateau after backpacking to Phantom Ranch and back. This was a couple of weeks before your trip. I must say your photos put mine to shame. Great trip report!

Great trip Al,thanks for our ride along. The dessert is such a beautiful area and your photos sure capture the scenery.
We also had a great time at Kodachrome SP. Did lots of the hikes there but 3 years ago it was pretty empty.About this time of year.
We also enjoyed North Rim but it was in the closing stage so only part of the campground was still open.Had a nice site and good walks along the rim trails.
Thanks again for posting.
Frank

What an awesome trip! I guess these parks see their busiest times during the shoulder seasons. At least you were successful in dodging the crowds for the most part.

I got a little case of acrophobia just seeing you dangle over the edge there.

highz said:
I spent some time on the North Rim, Tuweep and the Kaibab plateau after backpacking to Phantom Ranch and back. This was a couple of weeks before your trip. I must say your photos put mine to shame. Great trip report!
I checked out the Phantom Ranch- looks like a fun way to get to the river and back. How was the hike? Thanks for the comments.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Great trip Al,thanks for our ride along. The dessert is such a beautiful area and your photos sure capture the scenery.
We also had a great time at Kodachrome SP. Did lots of the hikes there but 3 years ago it was pretty empty.About this time of year.
We also enjoyed North Rim but it was in the closing stage so only part of the campground was still open.Had a nice site and good walks along the rim trails.
Thanks again for posting.
Frank
Frank, the North Rim was closing soon after we left. Kodachrome was a nice park. We didn't do any of the hikes- just used it for staging to Bryce but might go back there. Thanks for your comments.

Back
Top Bottom