Northeast NV-Southern ID

Foy

Resident Geologist
Good morning from North Carolina,

I just got registered here at WTW and this is my first post.

I'm a CPA, mid 50s, with a background in geology (mineral exploration). In part due to my first degree, I have kept my feet wet in off-roading even though I haven't had to rely on my truck or navigational skills to earn a living in nearly 30 years. For the past two summers, the wife and I have joined a geology field school classmate and his wife for summer vacations in MT, ID, and UT, and we plan to do it again in July 2012.

What we're beginning to look at is a big loop with the start/finish in Elko, NV. We'll want to be in Elko for the 2012 Silver State Stampede rodeo, a slice of Americana you pretty much can't get anywhere else. We're pondering heading northeast up US 93 to Rogerson, ID, and from there travel on gravel/dirt to Jarbidge, NV, then to the Bruneau River canyon just west of Jarbidge, then to the vicinity of Mountain City, NV, over Maggie Summit, and then down the Independence Valley to Tuscarora. From Tuscarora we'd either go back to Elko or possibly farther west to Midas, re-joining pavement at Golconda, NV.

I run a well-equipped F350 SRW Crew Cab diesel, 2002 model with a simple shell cover. There'd be two couples and we're looking at booking rooms for a couple of nights in Jarbidge, tent camping on the Bruneau, and either rooms at Mountain City or tent camping in the Bull Runs or Independence Range.

I'd be most interested in any input on the following:

Has anybody accessed the Bruneau canyon, at the point near Rowland, NV, from Jarbidge. The Benchmark NV and ID map books show a National Forest road connecting the two, but it traverses two passes and I haven't been able to reach any individual at the Humboldt NF office in Elko who can tell me specifics about this road. This is NOT the Charleston-Jarbidge road and its well-known Coon Creek and Bear Creek Summits south of Jarbidge, but is instead accessed by driving north from Jarbidge for about 5 miles, then climbing up and out of the Jarbidge River canyon, over the passes, and dropping down into the Bruneau Canyon at Rowland/Mink Ranch.

From Rowland/Mink Ranch, we're interested in accessing the mostly drive-up access to Merritt Mountain, accessed from the south from the California Creek drainage. Again, it appears we can venture up close to or just into Idaho, then back south, skirting the Mahoganies, to access the drive-up route to Merritt Mountain. Any details available on that?

From Desertislands.org, I've seen some pics of the route from just south of Mountain City over Maggie Summit. Looks nice. Anybody been there?

Direct communications tells me diesel is available in Jarbidge and I am interested in fueling in Mountain City, if possible. The Desertislands.org notes closure of either "a store" or "the store" in Mountain City, so I wonder what's available up there presently.

Given the elevations involved, I'm not anticipating uncomfortably hot daytime temps in July, and we think the evenings will be cool. Confirmation or correction?

We wonder what the mosquito/fly/general bugginess factor may be out that way. We're assuming the canyon bottoms might be buggy, but perhaps not higher up out of the canyon bottoms.

We're aware of the large hot springs at Murphy HS, on the east fork of the Jarbidge River, and of Bruneau HS (Indian HS) on downstream well into ID, but we'd be intrigued to learn of more remote soaks in the Jarbidge, Mahogony, Bull Run, or Independence ranges.

We're aware of generally good vehicular access to points at or near the summits of Merritt Mountain and Porter's Peak, and would be very interested in other drive-ups.

I wonder if anybody on WTW has wandered this particular piece of territory and has any specific advice on our thoughts/plans at this point. I am particularly interested in opinions about taking a longbed Crew Cab pickup out there, as she's heavy and has the turning radius of an 18-wheeler. I recently wrestled the old girl to the end of the road at Comet Mountain, MT, but some multi-point turns were required.

Thanks for any interest and feedback.

Foy

Well, this is somewhat embarrassing!! Bruneau Canyon is practically in my backyard. I've camped on the rim many times but have never actually explored either end of the canyon. Now that you have sparked my interest I'm going to have to check it out. I don't think there is any access from the North end but I could be wrong.

I have spent time near Denio NV on my dual sport with my club. We always go in September as it is hot in the summer!!!

Welcome to WTW!! Looking forward to your trip reports. With a geology background should make some interesting reading. This is a geologists playground around here!!!

I'm heading south next month for a few days. Maybe I can work in the south end of the canyon on my way back.

I don't think there is any access from the North end but I could be wrong.

Good morning Silvertip47! You shouldn't be embarrassed. Southern ID, Southeast OR, and the northern half of NV constitutes a whole lotta square miles to explore, hence my interest.

I have spent time near Denio NV on my dual sport with my club. We always go in September as it is hot in the summer!!!

Hot summers understood. Hopefully the elevations further east will temper the summertime heat. Jarbidge is at 6,000', all the way at the bottom of the hole, at that. The passes between the Jarbidge and Bruneau canyons are between 7,500' and 8,500'. I'm thinking and hoping it'll be nice, even in July.

Welcome to WTW!! Looking forward to your trip reports. With a geology background should make some interesting reading. This is a geologists playground around here!!!

Thanks kindly for the welcome. I've logged a few hours in recent days poring over trip reports, etc. There certainly appears to be good representation from the geology profession. I can only claim to be a "reformed geologist".

I'm heading south next month for a few days. Maybe I can work in the south end of the canyon on my way back.

From a fair amount of map study (primarily in the Benchmarks for ID and NV, backed up by a considerable amount of reading on various forums, further backed up by considerable study of the "death by GPS" tragedy which claimed a life in the Nevada end of the Bruneau canyon in March and marooned the survivor for 7 weeks (the Canadian couple who attempted to "shortcut" from ID 51 south of Mountain Home to Jackpot, NV), and lastly backed up by a couple of lengthy phone calls to NF and BLM people in Elko, I think the access is fairly straightforward: There ain't much. I believe the only crossing of the Bruneau is there at Rowland/Mink Ranch. There is a bridge well downstream, in ID, just below the confluence of the Jarbidge and the Bruneau, at Bruneau/Indian Hot Springs, and I know of a dual-sport group which crossed it in August 2011, but the word is it's wholly unsafe for pickups, etc. The Jarbidge River is crossed in the town of Jarbidge and at least the one place about 6 miles downstream, where the road I referred to crosses and heads over to the Bruneau. That may well be the farthest downstream vehicle crossing of the Jarbidge. The East Fork of the Jarbidge is crossed near Murphy Hot Springs, ID, just before the road connecting Jarbidge to Rogerson, ID climbs up onto the basalt plain for the remainder of the distance to US 93 at Rogerson. I believe the only route around the upper Bruneau and Jarbidge canyons is, then, driving southeast from Grasmere, ID (Grasmere is on ID 51), into NV to the Bruneau River near Rowland/Mink Ranch, over the passes to the point just north of Jarbidge, thence out the Jarbidge canyon to the north/northeast along the Jarbidge-Rogerson Road. That road crosses the Salmon Falls Creek Dam, and its canyon represents a third barrier to accessing the lower Bruneau and Jarbidge canyons. Yes, quite a number of roads penetrate well to the north (downstream) from the highlands in NV to the lower reaches of the Bruneau, Jarbidge, and Salmon Falls Creek canyons, but as far as "through roads" crossing from ID 51 to US 93 north of Jackpot, NV, I think the above-described circuit is the only game in town. I'd dearly love to hear from you and any others who've explored that territory in recent times.

Lastly, my reading and review of the many photos has rekindled the fire under me in terms of getting a truck camper. I have no interest in going large inasmuch as it'll surely preclude taking an already too heavy and too cumbersome vehicle (my Superduty) into the nooks and crannies I so want to take her into, so it'll be a FWC. The sole East Coast dealer is but 90 miles west of my Raleigh, NC home.

Foy

You're right aobut this being a huge country!!! I can go days without seeing another sole!!! I travel solo most of the time. My wife made me buy a PLB several yeas ago for any emergency. Then when the SPOT came out I had to buy one of those too. It allows my to send non emergency msgs home and that keeps her very happy!!!

Right now I have an old Northstar pop up that is holding together exceptionally well. One day I will have a FWC Hawk!!! :cool:

Silvertip47,

I've just started doing a bit of reading up on PLBs and SPOT, with the "death by GPS" episode, my elderly mother back in NC, and my own tendencies to push the envelope a bit in mind.

By the way, I saw your chime-in and picture of your Magruder Corridor trip here in WTW. I had first seen your whole trip report in August 2010, at which time I started researching the Magruder for Summer 2011. We didn't get there, first because of not being able to book a stay at the Magruder Ranger Station, second because of being drawn in the lottery for a week at the Hogback Homestead Cabin at Rock Creek, MT, and, unknowable then, because the extreme snow cover and tree blowdown this year made most of the Magruder between the Selway River and Elk City impassible until late July.

I'm interested in how the front receiver motorcycle mount worked out on your dually. I am pondering the same for my Superduty.

Foy

I carried that little bike for 9 years on two different trucks on the same carrier. No problems.

MaGruder has a very small window for passage between fires and snow. With 300% of annual snow pack last winter I don't know how late it opened this year!!

I've travelled the road from Jarbidge through Mink Ranch/Bruneau River to Big Bend and then either through sunflower flat to Mountain City or direct to Wild Horse several times. Was in Jarbidge a couple of weeks ago but went in/out via Charleston this time, roads were good. Haven't been north from Minks to Rowland. The roads in this area in the summer are usually in good shape but can turn very sloppy with precip. Since you are starting in Elko you should consult the Elko County Road Department in town prior to leaving for the current road conditions. The amount of bugs depends on the amount of water this winter and spring, it's a beautiful area, you should have a great time.

I've travelled the road from Jarbidge through Mink Ranch/Bruneau River to Big Bend and then either through sunflower flat to Mountain City or direct to Wild Horse several times. Was in Jarbidge a couple of weeks ago but went in/out via Charleston this time, roads were good. Haven't been north from Minks to Rowland. The roads in this area in the summer are usually in good shape but can turn very sloppy with precip. Since you are starting in Elko you should consult the Elko County Road Department in town prior to leaving for the current road conditions. The amount of bugs depends on the amount of water this winter and spring, it's a beautiful area, you should have a great time.

Hi BillM,

It's great to hear from one who's been there. Many thanks for your post.

The Jarbidge-Big Bend campground route is called Meadow Creek Rd, I believe. Since originating this thread, I've scrapped the idea of swinging north from Mink Ranch/Rowland in favor of going south up Meadow Creek Rd to Big Bend, thence across Sunflower Flat towards Mountain City. Along that road, I am interested in turning off to the north on the (dead end?) spur which accesses the drive-up to Merritt Mountain. Have you been up that way?

I take it the road from north of Jarbidge over the passes to Mink Ranch/Rowland is unremarkable in terms of difficulty. Is that your opinion? Does the road ford the Bruneau there at Mink Ranch, or is there a bridge?

You're confirming the mud in the area is legendary. Given the weather-related changes from year to year, consulting with Elko County and USFS locals prior to departing is at the top of my list.

Thanks again for your detailed reply.

Foy

Foy,

The main crossing of the Bruneau is a bridge and should not be a problem. Can't say I've been on any of the roads up Merritt but imagine they get narrower and tighter as most of the less travelled and higher roads do. It's one of those things you'll probably have to judge for yourself when you're there. Any of the main roads in that area that access a ranch should not be a problem for your rig because they haul cattle trailers on them. Beyond that they can get tight quick. I have a Nissan Frontier and sometimes find myself backing up for quite a ways to find a suitable turn around. That said, sometimes the dotted lines on my maps turn out to be dirt superhighways and the thick lines peter out into two tracks. Guess that's just part of the adventure!

-Bill

That said, sometimes the dotted lines on my maps turn out to be dirt superhighways and the thick lines peter out into two tracks. Guess that's just part of the adventure!

-Bill

Bill,

We're entirely on the same page where pure exploration is concerned.

Thanks again for your help!

Foy

Back
Top Bottom