Northern Light tonight Friday 9-12-14

billharr

Some of you will have a once in a life time view tonight.

650x366_09111550_hd22.jpg

If I did not have commitments for the weekend I would be on my way to northern NV now.

We saw a good northern lights display in Bend a couple/few years ago. Anybody remember when the last big relatively-southern display happened?
I got some pics...but haven't found them yet. If I knew exactly when to look I could find the raw files, since the folders are date-labeled. :unsure:

Follow the link above and read the caption for the aurora photo down the page.

"A solar flare brought vibrant colors to the sky in the central Oregon Cascades on Oct. 1, 2013. (Photo/Jason Brownlee Photography & Design)"

That help?

Paul

Not once in a lifetime for camper owners. Just head north to Canada and/or Alaska to a location far away from light pollution. Pick a moonless, cloudless night with favorable reports on coronal mass ejections. Put on warm clothes, Lay out in the dark until you get dark adapted and be amazed at the light show.

Haven't seen it in years but remember watching many nights near 100 Mile House and Cache Creek.in BC back in the mid 70's.

Paul

We got to see some of the lights on our 1992 trip to Alaska. We were on the ferry to Sitka and saw some of the show just after we left Juneau, but the fog covered them up about an hour out.
Also as a wee kid growing up in Pennsylvania I remember seeing a short show back in the 50's.
They are a great sight.
Frank

We see them fairly regularly in northern Minnesota. Won't see them this time as we are stuck in the city this weekend and the sky will likely be cloudy anyway.

Back
Top Bottom