Northern NorCal suggestions?

Thanks very much, folks. I appreciate your welcomes.

flinchlock (Mike): Stan at FWC suggested that I drive around with the Grandby and see how it handles, then decide whether to get beefed up suspension. I'll do some more investigating in the next few weeks and see what others have found. I have the regular bed, so will leave the tailgate down. Based on the thread about gravel beating up tailgates, I'm going to have the dealer put some of the 'clear bra' plastic coating (usually used as front shield) on the tailgate. Hopefully that will help some. My far-better half wouldn't go for the double cab long bed; too long to fit in the garage.

DLN, FWC should have received my down payment yesterday, so I figure 5 or 6 weeks until I drive to Reno to pick it up. They'll haul it over there and install it, so I avoid CA sales tax; I'm from Montana, so not used to that sort of thing! End up saving nearly double the transport cost.

Craig333, I grew up in the foothills east of Chico, but have been gone since 1984. Here in SW Montana for 16 years. Northern CA is still nice country. We get back to visit family about every other summer.

Yes, I'm hoping the new pickup and new camper will be just the ticket for my wife and I. If nothing else, it will certainly guarantee that I won't be quitting work any time soon...

Speaking of which, I'm buried at work right now, so will have to lay low until the weekend. Thanks again for your openness, and I'll look forward to learning lots from you folks.

flinchlock (Mike): Stan at FWC suggested that I drive around with the Grandby and see how it handles, then decide whether to get beefed up suspension.
Thanks for that info!

I have the regular bed My far-better half wouldn't go for the double cab long bed; too long to fit in the garage.
Since the 2007 DC only has "Standard Bed (6.5')" & "Long Bed (8.1')", a "regular bed" is the 6.5' version... right?

Here in SW Montana for 16 years.
Hmm, we are almost neighbors... I will be moving to Eureka, MT in early 2009 (and living in my ATC Cougar), and the wife to follow six months later.

Mike

flinchlock: Yep, I meant the standard bed (6.5'). We're in Bozeman, so you'll be a few hours away, but Eureka is nice country. Great for quick getaways to B.C.; I'm jealous!

Cheers, KngBee

flinchlock: Yep, I meant the standard bed (6.5'). We're in Bozeman, so you'll be a few hours away, but Eureka is nice country. Great for quick getaways to B.C.; I'm jealous!

Cheers, KngBee

kngbee, nice to see another bozo on the board...there's at least one more around here as well. spent many hrs in LJH but don't make it up there much these days...congrats on the camper, can't wait to check it out! cheers!

Welcome KngBee and thanks for the local's inside info.

After much debate about a route, I put the decision in the lady's hands. Her reply to Tahoe or Big Sur? "I dunno. I haven't seen either place."

So I'm gonna pull rank and since I have seen Tahoe and 299, but not Big Sur, I'm going to go the coastal route. We'll exit DV somewhere on 395, drop down towards Bakersfield, then take 46 west over to Cambria and drive north on 101 till we hit Portland, OR.

This will allow me to see some new country, cross the Golden Gate Bridge and avoid any freak snowstorms that might occur in the high country. I hear Big Sur can be a very special place, especially when the weather is right so hopefully we've made a wise choice.

I'm very grateful for all the tips and info from everyone. Other than a buddy who is trying to talk me out of taking the truck & FWC - "Take your gf's Honda Pilot so you don't look like Jed Clampett pulling into Vegas." - it will be a memorable trip and my first time seeing the ocean, any ocean, in 8 years!

kc, big sur is amazing! crowded but amazing...my folks lived in san jose for a couple years and we would spend time in big sur every visit. good choice, enjoy the ride!

check out a place called ne puente (sp?) when in big sur...killer food and beer, even better views!

Yes, the coastal route....another amazing Cali highway. I always try to get one of my companions to drive this.....not easy to watch the view and drive the twistys. Like the 395, another special place.

I always like to stop in some small town to get some food and sit on the coast and enjoy the view. Take in the smells, color, and vistas. If you are lucky, some nice warm sun. Of course, with the camper, you can make your own food. So much to do and see.

I think the area north of the golden gate is nice, too. Marin headlands I think. Nice vistas. Some you used to be able to drive. Depending on how far north on the 1, Pt Reyes is a nice place as well. If you keep going, there are lots of small towns to enjoy....Mendocino......oh, mendocino.

Just remember to stop and "smell the roses"

Dave

KCO,
You definitely won't regret your choice, Big Sur is definitely a magical place.
I think the place Erod was referencing is Nepenthe, high end grub with a killer view. If you have the time I'd recommend checking out the Henry Miller Library too, pretty cool little hideaway off of PCH with alot of interesting books and Henry Miller related stuff.

KCO,
You definitely won't regret your choice, Big Sur is definitely a magical place.
I think the place Erod was referencing is Nepenthe, high end grub with a killer view. If you have the time I'd recommend checking out the Henry Miller Library too, pretty cool little hideaway off of PCH with alot of interesting books and Henry Miller related stuff.

thanks sunman, thats the place!

Mendocino......oh, mendocino.

Oh, I know....

Mendocino is one of the places on this big trip that I am most looking forward too. It's been many years since I was last there. Mendocino and Bandon, OR are my favorite coastal towns from Neah Bay down to San Francisco. I expect Big Sur to be included in this list soon.

Thanks erod and SunMan for the grub tips. I'll need those too!

An update -

We're leaving next Friday, November 9th after work. We should make it down to Helper or Price, Utah that night.

Saturday 10th - Hwy 24 and Hwy 12 through Capitol Reef NP And Escalante.

Sunday 11th - Bryce NP and Zion NP over to Valley of Fire SP in Nevada

Monday 12th - Vegas, baby. 4 days at the Sahara, lunch at In 'N Out Burger
chowtime.gif

Friday 16th - Las Vegas to Death Valley

Saturday 17th - Death Valley

Sunday 18th - Death Valley, Bakersfield, Hwy 46 to Cambria and Big Sur, CA

Monday 19th - PCH 101, Big Sur, San Francisco, over the Golden Gate bridge, Bodega Bay

Tuesday 20th - Bodega Bay, Mendocino, Redwood NP, Brookings, OR

Wednesday 21st - Gold Beach, Bandon, lighthouses, Oregon Dunes

Thursday 22nd - Oregon Dunes, lighthouses, Bay City, Thanksgiving at Dad's

Friday 23rd - Bay City, Portland, I-84, Boise, ID

Saturday 24th - Boise, Pocatello, Bear Lake, Kemmerer, WY, Lander

Sunday 25th - sleep in my own bed, laundry, wishing I had another week on the road

With a large percentage of this trip in the highway, I have debated whether to take the truck & camper or the gf's Honda Pilot. My concern with taking her SUV, is finding available hotel rooms over the Thanksgiving holiday. The cost of gas/hotels/food is kind of a wash. With the camper, we're never without a place to stay. I'm still going back & forth between which vehicle to take.

It's going to be a tight schedule from DV to Brookings, OR. Hopefully the weather works with us and my Dad's wife doesn't burn the turkey.

I'll update from the road when possible.
DRbeer.gif

Too bad you don't have a little more time. Theres going to be lots of stuff you'll want to stop and look at on the way, but you'll have to keep driving to make that schedule. Best of luck with your trip.

Killer itinerary, you will have a blast.

As for which rig, i'd go with the camper, there is too much good camping on that trip to stay in hotels the whole time. (of course this is coming from a guy who still doesn't have a camper yet)

Dungeness crab while on the road?

Sounds like a good trip. We'll just miss you at Bodega as we will be there the week before. If you enjoy Dungeness crab, the recreational season opens this Saturday, November 3rd. Doesn't look like you will have time to go out on a charter but you can fish off the rock jetty at Doran Park on Bodega Bay without a license. May want to through a crab trap on board.

KC:

Wow...That sounds like a cool trip. Get your pool time in Vegas. Get your Double-Double animal style. Get early starts to catch the morning beautiful and see if the other half is willing to drive some of it.

I wish I could drive that now......I'll just dream about trips past. Take some photos. We expect some good ones!!!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom