Northern Vancouver Island BC ?

DavidGraves

We are getting away in quick fashion up to Malcom Island off the north Vancouver Island for a glimpse of whale rubbing.

Anyone here spend much time up on the north en,d particularly over toward Scott Provincial Park or the forest road system out toward Quatsino Sound?

This is a second visit.....mostly looking for especial places or insight.,,,history and natural history.

Many thanks

DavidGraves

NoOrCo

See the Umista Center!!! I believe it's on Cormorant Island. You can take the ferry from Port McNeil, then walk to the museum. It's a powerful place and tells the story of how First Nation people were governed in the 19th and early 20th century.

David - X2 on Sagebrush's suggestion of Umista Cultural Center at Alert Bay on Cormorant Island. Very informative and well done. In General, we like the Alert Bay area a lot and have had good experiences there. Regarding Cape Scott P. P., we have not been there but have been to the camp ground that is the "jumping off" point for the hike to Cape Scott. From that camp ground there is about a two mile westerly hike through the rain forest to San Josef Beach that we highly recommend. Have not been to Quatsino, but in the general area, the drive to the small fishing village of Winter Harbor is certainly worthwhile. For logging road info contact Western Forest Products Limited and Mac Millan Bloedel Limited to acquire maps of the logging road system on northern Vancouver Island. We have spent a lot of time on those roads and, as long as you are careful (big *ss log trucks traveling at high speeds), they are a great travel resource. Also, the logging companies maintain primitive camp grounds that are available to the general public at no charge. These CGs are primarily for their employees and are often located in picturesque settings. Sorry this is such a long message, but V.I. is a wonderful place. Enjoy! - Richard

Cape Scott is worth it, check the history from the second world war. A stop at Woss and you can see the the old steam train and they are still logging by rail. Telegraph Cove has a nice campsite and is a must visit on your way as well.

A second for Telegraph Cove. Check out the restored Atlas reversing diesel in the pub on the wharf. I've seen city busses that were smaller.

I'm writing all these down...busy, busy

pubs on wharfs...always a good thing

I'll be looking for a good launching ramp...and preferences Willys?

Telegraph Cove is good, we've also launched at Alder Bay, which is a little RV park. Many of our boating friends put in at Port McNeil. I can vouch for parking at TC and Alder Bay, but believe it's good at Port McN, too. I believe TC is closest to the rubbing beach in Johnstone Strait.

Telegraph cove is a great launch, good fishing and whale watching (oxymoron I know) you are a quick ride to Alert bay and other great spots. Port McNeil is good and there is easy access to desolation sound, Rusty this is great steelhead country as well,on the other side you can go to Port Alice,Coal harbor,Winter Harbor and Holberg.That is the west Coast side and gives beautiful inlets well protected, Coal Harbor is neat its an old Whaling station and has hangers, which a fellow has a museum.All has camping and boat access.

Many thanks all !

A neighbor of ours pioneered in the brush of Quatsino in the late sixties and we wondered if road access has ever been established to there from the east side of the island ? We would like to find her property and cabin, long abandoned, and get some photos.

We won't have time to take a the mail boat.

DavidGraves

DavidGraves said:
Many thanks all !

A neighbor of ours pioneered in the brush of Quatsino in the late sixties and we wondered if road access has ever been established to there from the east side of the island ? We would like to find her property and cabin, long abandoned, and get some photos.

We won't have time to take a the mail boat.

DavidGraves
No road access to quatsino. You should pick up a copy of backroads map book for vancouver island, It shows all the backroads campsites and has a short description of most of them. It also has a section for backroad attractions.

64highboy said:
No road access to quatsino. You should pick up a copy of backroads map book for vancouver island, It shows all the backroads campsites and has a short description of most of them. It also has a section for backroad attractions.
Thanks for that too....I bought and old one on our last trip and now I cannot find the durnburn thing.....only the northern BC edition...with out Vancouver Island.

Are they still sold new ?

I think these are what you're referring to http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/backcountry-maps/backroad-mapbooks/bc-backroad-maps/

They seem to be kept up to date, more or less, although I've had some unpleasant surprises from them once or twice. Roads that weren't there any longer.

But they're a good read, and maybe the most recent editions are better. Dunno. Hope so.

Enjoy your trip, it's wonderful country. Take mosquito repellent.

Back
Top Bottom