NW Nevada and The North Coast

Taku

Incident Command
Looking for any spots you high desert rats and left coasters think we should see/stay. Heading to Slilver City, ID (I think Lighthawk wrote about that) over to Sheldon Refuge for a few days, then to Sequoia-Kings for a family outing, then to Point Reyes and probably head north along the coast. Mainly looking for sights, hot springs, camps in NV and along the coast above Pt Reyes. Good fishing spots your willing to divulge would be an added bonus. Thanks!

When are you headed out? Soon?

If you're driving between SW Idaho and Sheldon you should check out the Alvord Desert and Steens Mt area. If you're going in the next month or so the Steens Loop Rd should still be open.

South of Sheldon the Black Rock Desert is very cool -- I think so anyway.

Yep, should have said. Leave Saturday - been to the Steens and Alvord - great places. Have worked around Winnemucca and Denio and Lakeview. Trying to fill in some of the holes along the way. Black Rock is on for a drive for sure. Soldier Meadows I think?

Have a great trip, Taku. Yeah, we visited Silver City and got a breakfast at the hotel. There is dispersed camping downstream along the creek, in the first mile along the road to Jordan Valley below the T from road to Nampa. There is also a campground in town past the hotel on the left.

If you are looking to fish the north coast of CA, check out Shelter Cove Sportfishing, talk to Trent. He will fill your cooler with what ever is happening at the time. Very good captain, nice boat and a whole lot of fun !! 707-923-1668

If you are freshwater (rivers/streams) fishing in Nor Cal.check out the regs carefully. Most of the streams are closed and ones that are open have water flow amounts. Like the Smith in the Crescent City area. Salmon are returning this time of year but parts of the river can be closed.
I ran into this back in 2004 ,I was fishing the Smith down stream from the state park,was told that was OK. F&G ranger shows up,I saw him coming and wasn't fishing at the time.Saved me a fine and having my gear taken.
Don't know about saltwater fishing don't do that.

Camping, Pt Reyes, if you want to visit Pt Reyes the closest camp there is Sam P Taylor SP. Pt. Reyes is nice but mostly a drive/hike place. Only camping there is pack packing, but there are some nice drives/trails to the north end of the area. Also a nice Elk heard at the end of the road to the north.

North on Rt.1 there are some beach camps ,Manchester camp is one other WTW members have stayed at. Just beach some trees and most likely little or no people.
As you follow Rt.1 north when you get to the Navarro river there is a nice beach camp there. The entrance is just before you cross the river bridge. The camping is right at the beach. Also past Ft. Bragg at Westport-Union Landing is a beach camp.

Further north in Redwood NP is the beach camp about 5 or so miles past the town of Orick. Davidson Rd. turn west the camp is about 6 miles. If it hasn't rained a bunch the road will be open.There is a gate and sign before you have to drive the road.

Also along the way there are many state parks some are still open and on first-come status ,some you might check first.
Russian Gulch is nice but I think it's closed for the season.

This should be a good time to drive the coast. Most of the summer RVers will be gone. So just check out areas and have a great time.

The Oregon state parks are very nice and less people this time of year.

Have a good trip.
Post pictures. We all like to see them.

Frank

Whats at Kinney Camp? Looking at the map I drove right by it but I don't remember seeing any signs.

Craig, it's not marked. It's an old ranch, and if the story I heard years ago is true, an old stage stop too. Stone buildings, woven willow corral, very photogenic.

Thanks much for the notes, will try to visit at least some of these places along the way and if I remember to take photos, post a trip report.

Back
Top Bottom