OBDR in a PowerWagon?

KarlFJ40

My kids have a soccer tournament in Bend this August and I am looking to tie in a section of the OBDR in our PowerWagon with FWC Granby either pre or post.
Any advice for sections that would not be passable in a full size truck?
Any spots to hike in for fishing (my kids main concern!)
Any advice would be welcome.
thanks,
karl

KarlFJ40 said:
My kids have a soccer tournament in Bend this August and I am looking to tie in a section of the OBDR in our PowerWagon with FWC Granby either pre or post.
Any advice for sections that would not be passable in a full size truck?
Any spots to hike in for fishing (my kids main concern!)
Any advice would be welcome.
thanks,
karl
Karl, where are you starting from? There's a ton of nice routes out there.

MaxSand said:
Oregon Backroad Discovery Route

We are starting outside North Bend, WA and will be in Bend for the tourney.
Most of the videos I’ve been watching are adventure bikes and Taco/Jeep size vehicles.
We have recovery gear but will be solo and don’t want to set up a “I told you so” moment w the Mrs. and have to turn back is too tight for our rig.
I plan to buy the full Oregon map set and place waypoints

Look for areas along the John Day and Malhuer Rivers. South of the towns of John Day and Prairie City. You can stay on pavement and/or gravel, get close to fishing for the kids and find some trails. Steens Mountain south of Burns is a nice area. Be prepared for mosquitos.

Fish Lake Campground at Steens Mtn is a nice campground on the lake with toilets, fresh water, and access to stocked trout fishing in the lake for the kids. One end of lake has campsites largely in shade while the other end is mostly in the sun.

Several great overlooks into the Alvard Desert basin.

May even see large flock of sheep with shepherds, dogs, horses, & mules. They sometimes come to the lake for water.

Paul

PaulT said:
Fish Lake Campground at Steens Mtn is a nice campground on the lake with toilets, fresh water, and access to stocked trout fishing in the lake for the kids. One end of lake has campsites largely in shade while the other end is mostly in the sun.
Several great overlooks into the Alvard Desert basin.
May even see large flock of sheep with shepherds, dogs, horses, & mules. They sometimes come to the lake for water.
Paul
It’s spectacular up there, but before going,check with BLM Burns office to determine how much of the Loop road is open.

Will add a on checking whether the Loop is open. Several years ago, after a “normal” winter, they had just opened in late June. Calling the Frenchglen hotel may be helpful. And we stayed at the campground close by...worst mosquitos ever. Ended up renting one of the close by cabins to get my wife out of the bug cloud. That being said, I’d go again in a second. One of my favorite all time trips.

Edit: hopefully the Malheur Wildlife Station has reopened. It was still closed when we were there due to the damage “post-occupation”...no editorial intended.

Refuge HQ is open.

I’ve seen the loop closed into August (and skied up there at that time). A call to BLM is your most reliable source of info.

Thanks for all of the great advice. Awesome forum!
We are looking forward to some summer adventures

The ops question about whether the trails were okay for a full size truck didn't seem to get fully answered.

I mention this because my traveling buddy has a full size Dodge 4x4 with a Pinto or Bronco or some such wood frame pop up on it, I'm not concerned about my Taco /w a FWC Fleet, but in looking at the pictures I wonder if there would be sections of the trails that would be too rough/tight for his rig or that might be too hard on his camper?

We've been on some rough low range rock garden crawls with it but it's starting to show the strain, he may not be up for a trip of that distance if there's a lot of real rough terrain to negotiate. Any rough guesses as to what percentage of the trails, if any, might be "beat his rig to pieces" rated, and are they easily bypassed?

Thanks,
/2

I'm not sure anyone with a full size and FWC has done the entire OBDR, but I've done a significant portion. From what I've been told, the southern portion is more difficult as you go north. If that's the case, the whole thing is doable in a fullsize truck with FWC. There is a lava field or two that is absolutely miserable near the southern end. It can only be done at about one mph. I rocked that truck more than you can imagine, especially with the FWC. It was fine, but so slow. I assume you don't mind brush marks though? No scratched paint, but plenty of clear coat scratches.

Back
Top Bottom