Obx

John D

Rollin' toward OBX tomorrow. Planing to eat some fish. Do you West Coast guys know where we are going? I'm taking my digital camera. -John D

Hatteras is great. Deep, soft sand- and good surf. Watch out for the mosquitos- they can carry you off. Don't forget to hit Bubbas BBQ!

OBX Trip – Anything having to do with Western Civilization could be discussed herein as Wandering the West. Most of us either currently own lightweight popup campers invented in the West or we are contemplating owning one. Our class of RV is particularly suited to expedition style camping. They are exceedingly flexible.

Everywhere we traveled we ate fish, Outer Banks, Cape May, NJ, and Spain. My sister-in-law invited the family to Cape May for her 50th birthday party. Starting in Alabama, we visited an old friend in Sumter, SC and then took the Cedar Island Ferry to Okarakoke, hopped up the Cape Hatteras Islands to Kitty Hawk, Chesapeake Bridge and Tunnel to DELMARVA, ferried the Delaware Bay to Cape May.

We slept in our FWC in the side yard of the partier’s Victorian house, dropping the top during daylight for a low profile. (We probably violated town laws excluding RVs but got away with it.)

While we were in the area, we decided to take a flight to Spain, leaving the Keystone in long term parking at the airport. There it waited for its tired owners to return from Spain six days later, providing welcome rest “in our own beds” with a handy cache of personal effects. We camped our way back to Alabama. Today is Memorial Day and tomorrow to work.

A popup camper makes a wonderful base of operations for traveling in the relatively congested East because it can be parked anywhere, even in parking garages. Selected pictures are attached, including a seagull over the Okrakoke Island ferry, truck on a Hatteras beach, a Hatteras fisherman, Lewes Delaware lighthouse, a Spanish street, old car in Spain, and beautiful Spanish doorknobs.

As an aside, we took note of the camping culture in Spain. A small truck camper, preferably with a small diesel engine, would probably work in Europe. I did not notice any 4x4 camper rigs in Spain but there may be some.

Attachments

• On Okarakoke Ferry.jpg
    On Okarakoke Ferry.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 286
  • Hatteras Beach.jpg
    Hatteras Beach.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 281
  • Fisherman on Hatteras.jpg
    Fisherman on Hatteras.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Lighthouse from Cape May Ferry.jpg
    Lighthouse from Cape May Ferry.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Old car on street.jpg
    Old car on street.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 266
Thanx JonD

Great shots!!

One of my earliest memories as a kid was on the ferry to Okracoke.My Dad was hand feeding the gulls saltine crackers, and one took a crap right in his ear..

I miss the OBX, and today especially, I miss the Old Man..

Thanks for sharing John D,

I have never been to these places (yet) but there sure look like they are worth visiting. Enjoyed the pics.

Back
Top Bottom