OK I'm an idiot

Does anyone use the engine as an air compressor any more? John D

Do you mean use the engine to spin a compressor (either another accessory or converting over an AC compressor) or the actual engine itself via a cylinder or such?

Do you mean use the engine to spin a compressor (either another accessory or converting over an AC compressor) or the actual engine itself via a cylinder or such?

I've heard of removing a plug and using the compression of the cylinder...
My brother had parts to do this as an emergency measure...but it sounded too funky to me, so I never pursued it.

My brother had parts to do this as an emergency measure...but it sounded too funky to me, so I never pursued it.

Well you'd be getting some fuel mixed in with it if it did work which wouldn't be great. However I can't imagine a modern engines computer liking it very much... I'd keep this one as emergency only for sure.

I never heard of that before. :unsure:

I do have an old York, internally lubricated AC compressor which I'd thought about mounting as an engine driven air compressor, but between finding room to mount it, fabricating brackets, adding a pulley to allow the serpentine belt system to drive the V-belt on the York, adding all the necessary hardware (pressure switch, safety relief valve, air hoses, etcetera), I found it cheaper and easier to get a Viair on board air system.

When I needed new tires, I bought an extra rim off e-bay and bought 5 new tires so that I can do 5 tire rotations (without having to rotate in the spare on the non-matching steel wheel). I may not check my spare as often as the rest of my tires, but I'm sure to check it at least every 5,000-6,000 miles when I rotate my tires.

After spending close to a grand for my new shoes I think I may need a little cheaper alternative in my quest for air? Any cheaper options like Costco or even a good hand pump? I've got a small tire repair kit with CO2 for my Harley but I've never seen anything similar for trucks.

You could try one of these - MV-50 Superflow

51hYwPsge1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've been using one for 4 years now and it has worked great, no issues. It's small, comes with a nice carrying case and it will air up my 33" tall tires from 16PSI to 36PSI in 4 minutes apiece. And I can do all 4 tires consecutively, without a 'cooling-off' break.. I also use it to air up my airbags when needed.

It won't run any airtools but I like it better than a Co2 tank because filling those isn't cheap and what if you run out when you need it the most..? As far as a solid inexpensive compressor, the Superflow is the best on the market.

You could try one of these - MV-50 Superflow

I've been using one for 4 years now and it has worked great, no issues. It's small, comes with a nice carrying case and it will air up my 33" tall tires from 16PSI to 36PSI in 4 minutes apiece. And I can do all 4 tires consecutively, without a 'cooling-off' break.. I also use it to air up my airbags when needed.

It won't run any airtools but I like it better than a Co2 tank because filling those isn't cheap and what if you run out when you need it the most..? As far as a solid inexpensive compressor, the Superflow is the best on the market.

The same here...Pleased with it to fill up the tires from 18 to 38 psi quickly.

You guys have all convinced me ( plus I remember the MV-50 from another compressor thread on WtW). I just ordered one, and will put the cheapie compressor I have now into my daily driver for emergencies.

Bingo, that looks like the solution I was looking for and the price is right. KC, the reviews on your link seem to be very good also. Hopefully my tire problems are solved and I promise to be more conscientious in the future. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Fair warning, I will soon be in the market for a new truck and camper so I may need some more of your expertise/hand holding.

the mf 1050

OK, thanks. Then, if that's the case then I think I'll go with the MV50. Amazon is selling the MV50 for $60 and the MF 1050 for $85!
Unless I can find one locally for less...

OK, thanks. Then, if that's the case then I think I'll go with the MV50. Amazon is selling the MV50 for $60 and the MF 1050 for $85!
Unless I can find one locally for less...

yes that is odd....i got mine at a pep boys for $55

yes that is odd....i got mine at a pep boys for $55

Yeah, I need to check locally...a good weekend task.
Amazon isn't always the cheapest, but as an Amazon Prime member I get free 2-day shipping, so they make it too easy to shop -- and buy -- from the convenience of my computer. ;)

I'm running an engine driven York AC pump with a storage tank from Kirby on board air. Works great for filling tires and running a impact wrench. Unfortunately I think they only make them for Dodge CTD and Jeeps.

I was going to go with the spark plug compressor but I can't find the plugs on this truck. Many years ago I had a spark plug compressor to air up the Jeep tires and it worked pretty good. The piece that screwed into the plug hole had a small piston that drew in outside air so the tires didn't become combustible.

Back
Top Bottom