Old con-fused panel....?

Swaff1

Advanced Member
Can anyone tell me how this panel works? (See pick below....)
I have power to 115volts when i plug into shore power, fridge works, but heater only works when hooked to 12v battery power...
Am i right in thinking heater only runs on 12volts , and what are the fuses for, no power running through them when hooked to shore power and or 12volts
I AM CONFUSED?

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 133
That surface-mount glass-tube fuse block appears to be something added by a previous owner. I say owner-added due to the way the wires run and the fact that electrical contacts are exposed. (Is there a cover missing?).

If possible, I'd contact the previous owner to ask why the fuse block is there.

If that fails, you could try tracing wires to figure it out or perhaps pulling a fuse at a time to see what's affected, if anything. I'm not familiar enough with wire colors to interpret anything from what I'm seeing.

I would have guessed it's there because of something wrong with the original DC panel but that guess doesn't square with your observation that it doesn't appear to have power to it.

The other thing I'd try to do is identify that box the fuse-block is mounted on. I've been trying to find a similar photo and at this point I'd guess it's a Progressive Dynamics unit, perhaps an AC/DC distribution panel (only) or perhaps one with a battery charger built into it. I'd look for the model number. If it is indeed a Progressive Dynamics model, here's a link to the owners manuals for discontinued Progressive Dynamics products. which could be useful.

As Bigskyxj says, your furnace-fan motor is 12-volt. The furnace-fan should run whether your camper is on battery-only or is plugged in to shore power. If that's not the case, I'd suspect the converter/charger isn't handling the switchover properly.

Also-- curiosity question-- is the yellow box a spare-fuses box? I ask because it looks like one but it seems out of scale and it's odd to see one on what I assume is a vertical surface.

PS- If any of you 80s-vintage owners recognize the unit in question, please chime in or send me a PM.

Either you converter isn't working or you don't have one. What year is your camper? Shell model maybe?

Our camper had a simple fuse holder like that for the 12vDC circuits but I can't remember if it used those type or ATC type fuses.

My guess is the large black circuit beaker is for the 120VAC receptacle(s) inside the camper - plug into shore power and switch off breaker to check. I'm guessing you don't have a converter but would look under the black cover anyway. EDIT my original breaker panel was 7.5x8.75" used solely for 1 circuit as I described above. The size of yours looks similar but appears to be vented that's why I'd be curious enough to pull the cover off to investigate.

And the glass fuses are for the 12VDC circuits. Say, internal lighting and furnace - remove them one at a time to find out what they fuse and if indeed they don't have power running through them as you wrote. If they have power then, yes, a cover would be prudent if left where it is.

I'm thinking the fuse block may have been out of sight and a previous owner relocated it.

klahanie said:
Our camper had a simple fuse holder like that for the 12vDC circuits but I can't remember if it used those type or ATC type fuses.

My guess is the large black circuit beaker is for the 120VAC receptacle(s) inside the camper - plug into shore power and switch off breaker to check. I'm guessing you don't have a converter but would look under the black cover anyway. EDIT my original breaker panel was 7.5x8.75" used solely for 1 circuit as I described above. The size of yours looks similar but appears to be vented that's why I'd be curious enough to pull the cover off to investigate.

And the glass fuses are for the 12VDC circuits. Say, internal lighting and furnace - remove them one at a time to find out what they fuse and if indeed they don't have power running through them as you wrote. If they have power then, yes, a cover would be prudent if left where it is.

I'm thinking the fuse block may have been out of sight and a previous owner relocated it
Yes i will have to do some more investigating. It does appear the wires are relocating the fuses into a easier to reach area.
Maybe converter is not working, or there is not one there , just didn't want to tear into something that is working fine but will need to fix it or at least know how it works to be fully functional and safe...

Old Crow said:
That surface-mount glass-tube fuse block appears to be something added by a previous owner. I say owner-added due to the way the wires run and the fact that electrical contacts are exposed. (Is there a cover missing?).

If possible, I'd contact the previous owner to ask why the fuse block is there.

If that fails, you could try tracing wires to figure it out or perhaps pulling a fuse at a time to see what's affected, if anything. I'm not familiar enough with wire colors to interpret anything from what I'm seeing.

I would have guessed it's there because of something wrong with the original DC panel but that guess doesn't square with your observation that it doesn't appear to have power to it.

The other thing I'd try to do is identify that box the fuse-block is mounted on. I've been trying to find a similar photo and at this point I'd guess it's a Progressive Dynamics unit, perhaps an AC/DC distribution panel (only) or perhaps one with a battery charger built into it. I'd look for the model number. If it is indeed a Progressive Dynamics model, here's a link to the owners manuals for discontinued Progressive Dynamics products. which could be useful.

As Bigskyxj says, your furnace-fan motor is 12-volt. The furnace-fan should run whether your camper is on battery-only or is plugged in to shore power. If that's not the case, I'd suspect the converter/charger isn't handling the switchover properly.

Also-- curiosity question-- is the yellow box a spare-fuses box? I ask because it looks like one but it seems out of scale and it's odd to see one on what I assume is a vertical surface.

PS- If any of you 80s-vintage owners recognize the unit in question, please chime in or send me a PM.

Yes yellow box is just spare fuses. It has a sticky back on box to hold them up there.

I m thinking fuses are for inverter, no power at all and could possibly be why heater only works with 12v, and not on shore power.
Thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom