Old Four Wheel Keystone

John D

My wife and I bought an old Keystone from All Terrain Campers that had been
completely rebuilt with the base resized to fit later model trucks. We are
happy with the unit, no buyers regret, no hidden complications, and we are
satisfied. Ben was straight with us about it. We knew what we were
getting. My observation is Ben, Marty, Jeff, et al know what they are
doing. Marty, Jeff and the others are old school and do old school first
class work. They take pride in what they do.

All Terrain Camper's place of business is in an area on the north side of
Sacramento. It is located in an old rural subdivision. It appears to be in
a unique outlying rural area that has been annexed into the city after it
was subdivided unincorporated years ago into very large lots, at least an
acre or two each. Some folks might call each of these lots small estates
due to the large space around each house. Obviously, the zoning allows
businesses on the properties because there are several mixed in with the
residential properties. Actually, All Terrain Campers is a classic cottage
industry. They have a well equipped shop attached to a home. I counted
four men building the campers. Ben, the salesman, does manual work too,
though he does the sales transactions with the skill of someone accustomed
to handling money, very professionally. Due to the small work force, you
will probably have to stand in line for one of their campers. Their
products are almost identical to Four Wheeler Campers'. I saw a new camper
under construction and looked it over carefully. The quality of the welding
on the aluminum frames is good. I am experienced in metal work, having
grown up in a machine shop. In addition to camping, one of my hobbies is
restoring vintage cars. I do the body work and I know how to weld. I know
what I am looking at in connection with the quality of metal work. The
welding on the aluminum frame is important for this product to last. All
Terrain Camper metal work is good. They know how to weld aluminum. If you
are able to get All Terrain to build you a camper, DO IT, because you will
have a durable classic.

One thing I very much appreciated were the gentlemanly comments made about Four Wheel Camper. Ben, Marty and Jeff had nothing but praise for Four
Wheel Campers and their products. This high road way of doing business is
rare these days. It made me feel good about both Four Wheel Campers and All
Terrain Campers.

I was in Utah visiting my daughters over Christmas and had decided last
Summer to purchase a new Four Wheel camper while we were out West.
Unfortunately, I had gotten too busy in my work and did not order in time.
I sold my old camper a bit prematurely and was without. As Christmas
approached, Four Wheel Campers told me I would have to wait about 4 months for my order. All Terrain Campers had a similar waiting period. It is a
long drive from Alabama to California to pick up a camper. I was in a
position where I felt lucky to find anything close to what I wanted. The
only thing available that would fit my truck was an old Keystone
refurbished by All Terrain Campers. The result, I now own a camper built
by Four Wheel and extensively rebuilt by All Terrain. I have experience
with both companies' products and I can recommend them both. My wife and I put the Keystone to a minor test on our return trip to Alabama, as follows.

It took most of Thursday, December 28th for the guys at All Terrain to
install the Keystone on our Chevy 1500. They were thorough. Our truck has
an 8 foot bed and extended cab with helper springs from the previous camper.
The truck has 2 wheel drive with limited slip, 5 speed manual overdrive and a 5.7L fuel injected V8. Departing the Sacramento area about 3 PM, after stopping for some In and Out Burgers in Auburn, we drove to Falon, Nevada and camped in the WalMart parking lot Thursday night. Having not personally checked out the furnace, we were cautious and slept the first night in our heavy sleeping bags and no heat. Next morning the bank sign across the street from the WalMart said 12 degrees. We followed US 50 across Nevada to I-70 and ended up at Arches National Park for a wonderful camp in the national park campground second night. Next morning, we had breakfast in the Moab Cafe.

Speaking with a friend via cell phone, we received warnings of the BIG SNOW
STORM. On the way out of Moab, we topped off the Keystone's propane bottle. We changed our plan of going east on I-70 and headed toward Albuquerque, planning to loop South around the storm. This plan did not work. As it turned out later, and we were caught by the snow. At the time, not wanting to delay, we kept driving East after dark on I-40 slowly up a long ice slick grade out of Albuquerque. The traffic comprised mostly by 18
wheelers, slowed to a crawl. There was no way off the interstate
because exits were choked with snow, piles of snow plow scrapings and
stalled traffic. We saw big RV motor coaches stopped at any wide space in
the interstate, leveling jacks down, slide outs deployed, generators running
and the TV screens visible through the windows . It was too dangerous for
these large vehicles in the hands of amateur drivers to continue. Some of
the professionals were not up to the task either and we saw a road train,
tractor with two trailers, up side down in a ditch.

That night, I witnessed some of the best professional driving I have ever
seen in some of those 18 wheelers. Many of them found places to get off the
interstate, but after two or three days of sitting still, the truck payments
and bills at home were forcing the drivers on the road against their will.
This caused enormous congestion, many wrecks and stalled vehicles. Nearing
Cline's Corners in New Mexico about 8 PM we were stopped dead at mile marker 202. There we sat, stranded. By 2 AM, the outside thermometer on the guys Lincoln stopped next to us said minus 1 degree F. All around us, people were becomingdesperate, running out of gas, freezing. I am sure there were some deaths, but do not know the specifics. A young Mexican American father with his family in a mini SUV came up to me and another man shivering in the dark and almost in tears because his kids were so cold. He said they were crying. He was frightened. He said he was from Los Angeles and had never seen snow before. I gave him a thick candle and explained how to use it to warm the inside of his car, which he understood. (We saw him the next day. He, his wife, and his kids were OK.)

My wife became very cold too. She is tough and tried to stay awake. After
repeated urgings, she finally got inside the Keystone with the top down into
a heavy sleeping bag under a thick comforter. We had plenty of gasoline
but shut off our engine, not knowing how long we might be stuck. I decided
to start the Hydro Flame furnace. It worked, as the guys at All Terrain
said it would. Using my wife as a human CO detector, I let her go to sleep
in the camper while I stood watch all night outside in a heavy military
parka I had fortunately brought along. The Hydro Flame did its job. My
wife eventually thawed out and slept well inside the camper. There we sat, not moving a foot for about 10 hours.

A little before daylight, some folks in 4 wheel drive trucks began breaking trail
along the shoulder in the deep snow. Thanks to their efforts, we were able
to follow with our 2 wheel drive pickup after several of the more able
trucks made a path. The weight of the Keystone helped with traction. We
took the jacks off the Keystone because they did not clear the deep snow.
We negotiated a couple of miles along the escape lane to a rest area and
ran the truck into the heavy snow out of the way of other vehicles. I
had chains with me but we decided to camp and stay put until the 18 wheelers got moving. Finally, clear of other vehicles, I got some much needed sleep. Marty had given us some oranges which we were glad to have. With the interesting events going on around us, we never got hungry. I had brought along a shovel from Alabama and used it to clear the snow from around our truck. I also dug out some nearby cars. After doing this a couple of hours, I got back to the camper. My wife asked me if I knew the lady I had
helped dig out her car was probably a prostitute. I was kind of shocked at the
question because it is unlike my wife to say anything like that.
Apparently, while I was taking my nap, my wife had been watching this woman going from one stalled 18 wheeler to another while talking on her cell phone in between. In the afternoon, deputy sheriffs in two four wheel drive SUV s came to check on the welfare of the stranded. The lady hastily
departed. I told my wife the lady was very nice. We had taken turns on the
shovel digging out her car. She kept saying what a good public service we
were doing by shoveling snow. She was obviously a person with a desire to
serve the community. My wife did not say it but I got the idea she thinks I
am pretty dumb when it comes to women. Even if I am a dumb male, I observed that a natural disaster is a great leveler of people.

The short version of the story is we made it safely home to Alabama. We are
very happy with the refurbished Keystone. This is a larger camper than we
wanted because we like to do a lot of National Forest dry camping, but after
our experience with it in this natural disaster, we like it a lot. For the
transcontinental trip, our worst tank of gas gave us 15 mpg and the best was
20 mpg. Remember, we have a manual transmission with over drive and I would not expect the same mileage with an automatic. Our gas mileage was much better than with our old hard sided camper which we had driven across the United States several times on this same truck. There is no question,
lighter weight low profile campers will save gasoline.

John,
Thats a great story. I'm glad everything worked out O.K for you and your wife.
Your comments on the the ATC boys just reafirms the decision I made when I ordered my Cougar.
Happy camping.

Marc

Another report on the old Keystone; of course, this Keystone is rather plush for most lightweight popup truck camper folks. We used it in conventional vacation campground this weekend. Ben, this Keystone attracts the cold weather, same as when we got caught in the snow coming across New Mexico on the way home from California to Alabama. We traveled to Cape May, NJ over this last weekend. Again, we would have frozen without that nice furnace. We were in Cape May 6, 7, 8, and 9 April and stayed each night in the Lake Lorie campground. ($32 a night) It SNOWED. When we got up Saturday morning, there was snow on the ground and covering the windshield of the truck. The wind was blowing so hard it would cut you in two! Being an old salt, I could only think how glad I was to not be in the Atlantic in this weather.

Lake Lorie campground was one of the few campgrounds in the Cape May area actually open for business in April. In fact, there was almost no business, due to the cold. As best I could see, we were the only transient camper on the grounds of more than 300 spaces. This is a big campground. Most of the sites are occupied by camper trailers owned by warm season beach goers. One guy nearly wrenched his head off looking at our pop up camper as he drove past. Truck campers are apparently uncommon down the Jersey Shore. It appears that many of the campers in Lake Lorie are from big city areas nearby and their camp trailers are get-a-ways from the City. This style of camping is not exactly the primitive style of the desert West. Many of the trailers in Lake Lorie have semi-permanent porches and canvass rooms added for Summer living. Almost no one was home in their campers on such a cold weekend. Nevertheless, the appearances were of a party zone when the weather was warm and the beer was in session. I think I would like to go back in warm weather just to see what goes on.

Our trip was cut short when we received a message from home that a good friend had passed away. We had to make tracks home and could not take the leisurely trip down the Outer Banks as planned. Nevertheless, the Keystone proved to be excellent for the necessity of making miles on the interstate. Dropping our daughter off at Philadelphia airport at 4 PM Sunday, we headed south on I-95. We slept in a Flying J in Wythville, Va. We did not pop up, making our bed with a heavy double sleeping bag with a thick comforter over the top. We used the furnace to warm things up when we changed cloths. Back on the road at 6 AM next morning, we pulled into our sweet home in Alabama driveway shortly after Noon. It would be difficult to fly the same distance and make better time, counting the necessary surface travel. Thus, the Keystone is a viable way to travel fast without the hassel of airports, much greater comfort, on your own schedule, and relatively inexpensively. The three way refrigerator worked perfectly. My sister in law’s husband is a big hunter. He gave us some moose steaks to bring home. The freezing compartment kept the meat frozen solid, ready to be transferred to our freezer at home. Try that on a commercial airliner.

keystone

John,

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope things are well.

Now about the cold weather and you seeming to think that the Keystone attracts such weather to your area. My first impulse would be to suggest that you speak to your better half before you plan your next trip. Judging from her past observations compared to yours I would tend to trust her judgment on when you should be traveling.:D At least this time I noticed that you were also in the camper with the heater on since she already played test subject on your last trip.:)

Summer is just around the corner and it should be safe for you to go out once again. Of course knowing you, you will head up into northern Canada and we will get to hear about the blizzard on the 4th of July. ;)

Great write up again. Appreciate your experiences with the camper and I hope you get to have many more.

Again, sorry to hear about your friend. Best wishes to all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom