old grandby fit

wcj

Advanced Member
Will an older Grandby (wider) fit in a new ( 2004) chevy short box? I am new to FWC's and not sure where the dimensions change. Thanks in advance.

Hi wcj. I'm new here myself, but this link might give you some helpful information.

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/camper_fit.htm

I've found it useful in trying to find something that works; I'm still in the hunt myself. We tend to see some older Grandbys in our neck of the woods but my understanding is the pre-1990 models just fit the older trucks. I think the cutoff for the older Grandbys, like the one in Great Falls and Spokane right now is 1988 for Chevy. Those that fit your truck do come up but they seem to be mostly out of state. You might check here to see what's available.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/878/

Folks on this site do a great job of keeping it updated.

Beware too that the Grandby is a longer camper that will extend beyond the end of your truck bed and places the center of gravity behind the rear wheels. There are good explanations of this and possible concerns/solutions on the FWC website and posted by Stan on this forum.

Good luck in your search.

I have an 04 Sierra and had my 88 Granby cut down by Four Wheel Camper in Woodland Ca.Their web site also shows some of the dimensions needed.It was 6 years ago and was about 1K then.If you have the time call them even if you do it yourself.Have fun!

Thanks for the ideas. To narrow my question, if the camper is in a short box truck, is the portion of the camper that is too wide for a new truck sitting on the tailgate or does it extend far enough to cause problems.

I have an Alaskan that works well in the short box, just thought it would be nice to have something a little lighter during the summer. We did the White Rim trail last spring and it started me thinking about something lighter.

Thanks again for the ideas.

On my 86 keystone it is the same width front to back , so even if you have a short box the tailgate opening is what regulates if it fits.

Back
Top Bottom