Old Hawk floor repair

explore4days

I have an old Hawk that has 3 small areas of dryrot all in the back of the camper(door wall).
The smaller 2 areas are on the bottoms (left & right) of the upper plywood lips,
each about the size of my open hand.
The biggest area is on the floor bottom right side of the door, and equal to both open hands.
Other than that the floor is solid.
So I am considering what type of resin and hardeners to use to for repairs.
There are several types...anyone know what works the best for this application?
I am looking for low cost but good quality repair, since this will be up for sale soon.
Thanks

For small areas, if the wood is not falling apart, there is a product called Git Rot, most marine shops carry it. It is a very thin epoxy resin that soaks into the wood and hardens, just follow the instructions, it works well. If the area is large or the wood is to far gone, you will need to cut out the rot till you get to solid wood and scarf in a new piece. I would use west system epoxy to laminate/install the new pieces. West sys. isn't cheap, but I get consistent results with it and its easy to use. If any of the rotted areas are load bearing, I would replace the wood using the second method.

"it is a very thin epoxy resin that soaks into the wood and hardens"

I've used a similar product, don't recall the name, for restoration projects on historical buildings.
The epoxy soaks in and becomes a rock. We filled with bondo, and with a bit of shaping/sanding, topped with primer & paint.
I suspect bondo or any other patch compound might crack with movement, but if it's under a lino floor, who cares?

Photos would help diagnose what is the best course to take.
If the rot is severe, I wonder if a high quality 1/4" skin could knit things back together?

Thanks for the advice.
The biggest area should probably replaced with plywood, since the area is load bearing & high traffic.
With a plywood patch I was thinking of using 3m 5200 fast cure to seal any joints.
I have had great success with 5200 in the past.
As for the other 2 smaller areas;
one is under the propane floor, so it could be repaired if a product could absorb into the soft plywood.
Git Rot may work on both of the smaller areas.
Are there other types or is Git Rot the only "soak in" option?

I'm tempted to use a product like that to "prevent" rot on my camper. I have a couple spots that already need repainting. This might be a more effective option.

Back
Top Bottom