Old "new to me" Alaskan Owner Checklist

PackRat

I remember reading this trick somewhere here but I can't find it now. Anyway, I got the right brass fittings to hook up the propane tank I had for my old Lance to my Alaskan stove. After turning on the tank and checking the connections for leaks...I said a small prayer and started lighting each of the burners. The first two lit off nicely and gave me a nice blue flame visible in the daytime. The third had blue plus some yellowish flame to it so it was suspect.

Maybe it was Rusty who posted the tip before, but It boiled down to a camper sitting for a LONG time in storage having spiders take up residence in the tube from the on-off to the actual burner element.

So....I turned off the tank and went into the garage and came up with plastic cable tie about 12" long (longer than the tube thankfully) and slipped it into the tube right behind the knob (you have to remove the range top) and ran it in as far as I could and twisted it a few times and removed it.

I turned on the gas again and started the other two burners successfully and....then the third one lit off with a nice blue flame, devoid of any yellowish flame!

OK...Now I got the water system sorted out...( flushed tank with bleach/water and drained & refilled) I have no leaks in the hoses/fittings/drains either. I chose to replace the hand pump as the old one did not pump very well (diaphragm cracked?) and it had some pitting/oxidation on it steel wool couldn't eliminate. The drain works fine, no leaks either and...the Alaskan came to me with the original sink strainer/plug so that's good to go now!

Electrics work, light over stove works on 120-volt, Edison plugs work but I need to get fixtures to replace the bullet lights. Mine are good for parts only.

I need to get the 12-volt set up working with wiring to my truck's trailer plug and a battery to put behind the wheel well for the porch light and the CO bed overhead light.

Anyone with an original pigtail for 120-volt & 12-volt that does not need it...let me know. Maybe some tradin' for those bullet lights?

Back
Top Bottom