old school couch and new school refrigerator options

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
Hey everyone, I have a 1997 FWC Hawk. It comes with the three way fridge that never worked well and can only be used on flat surfaces. I haven't used it in a couple years due to ignighter problems. It also came with that crappy couch that has the back that just floats between the bottom cushion and the sidewall.

I'm looking to do something about both of these issues.

For the couch- has anyone come up with a way to hold the back of the couch (the big cushion on a peice of plywood) in place? MIne always falls forward and gets in the way.

For the fridge: I've looked at many of the newer 12v fridges and am pretty impressed. I could probably run a second battery with a 100w solar panel and and it would work great. The problem is where to put it. Has anyone found something that would fit in the existing small upright refrigerator spot? Mine is right next to the door, above the heater. The larger ones are too big for my small camper. I've considered putting it in the back seat of my truck and putting a passthrough window, but that seems like a PITA.

Is there a way to incorporate a chest type fridge into the couch? I'm not much of a carpenter, so custom building something is not likely to be a success for me.

Thanks!

If you do a chest-type fridge, you will need to provide space to open the top. In my 1998 Ranger II I had a Dometic 3-way portable chest type that I mounted to a platform that used drawer slides so I could slide it out and open it up. You will need to find a fridge with the dimensions to fit into that spot. If I were doing it now, I would look for an upright fridge (Engle, Isotherm, or Truckfridge) that fits the spot (like whatever FWC is using on their new campers, our Isotherm 130 in our new Grandby works well although we use two 6V batteries in series and 160 W solar panel).

As far as the seat back, my old Ranger ll had the same thing, but it was held in place by a couple of short bungees that hooked from the cushion to the back supports.

Your post brought back memories of my first 4WC, a 1997 Grandby.

As far as the couch backrest, in my current 4WC, they used industrial-strength velcro on the locations where the back contacts the supports. This keeps it in place, but allows it to be removed to make up the lower bed. I never liked the angle of the back in my camper so I seldom sat there for long. I think the roll-over hinges that were used in newer campers is a better solution, but it might not be easy to retrofit those.

As far as the fridge goes, if yours is built-in like mine was, they are a 'standard' size, in that once it is removed and you can measure the cabinet opening dimensions, it will allow you to shop among available replacements. I did that with my newer 4WC when the original Dometic 12V fridge bit the dust.

For less install hassle I am pretty sure there are 12v slide-in front opening refrigerators that will fit in the existing 3-way refrigerator space.

From a temperature control standpoint they are equivalent. Not sure if price would be much different.

Small eye bolts screwed into the wood strips on the back of couch and into the flat ledge by the window, attach with the ultra small bungee cords, works like a charm. Credit to OG Wanderthewester Chnisle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom