Old timer

Howdy

That rig is really pretty sophisticated.....the essentials in a compact package.

A friend drove a Scout in HS and it would go some fantastic places.

The engine alone was unique...the right half of the IH V8,

Thanks for pointing out the link.

David Graves

Don't underestimate the capabilities of old IH iron. I've had my college truck, a 1967 Scout 800, since 1973. The Dana 44 rear is solid and the Dana 27 front is "good enough". Ditto the Dana/Spicer 18 twin-stick transfer case--solid piece of equipment which served well in larger vehicles of that vintage. Even the old Borg-Warner 3-speed, featuring unsynchronized 1st gear, is solid.

And those IH engines! Class A tractor, medium duty truck, and dumptruck power plants. IH put the 304 in many a medium duty truck and the Scout II models from 1972-1980 offered a 392. Ever willing to use off-the-shelf components, IH used half of a 304 as the 152 4-cylinder in the early to mid-1960s and the 392 trimmed out as the 196 4-cylinder. Each 4-banger kept its orientation as a slant 4 in order that the bellhousings would match up readily as either the V-8 or the slant 4. You'd think the halved engines would be very light, but you'd be wrong--I also have a 1965 Scout 80 in the stable and she sports a 152. The engine block weighs 525 lbs, about 25 lbs more than a full smallblock Chevy 350 V-8 weighs. My 1967 Model 800 sports a 266 cu inch V-8 which also came from the full-size pickup, Travelall, and medium duty truck parts bins. Its block weighs just over 700 lbs.

As best I recall, Four-Wheel had a line of pop-up campers available in Scout IIs, Travelers, and K-5 Blazers. Believe they were sold through the IH and Chevy dealership networks a-la the early Napco and Marmon -Herrington 4WD modifications to Chevy/GMC and Ford pickups, respectively.

Maybe the old Scout isn't for everybody, but she rings a bell with me.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom