Old Topic...But Can't Find Photos...Mounting MaxTrax on rear jack plates

Wallowa

Double Ought
Sorry to beat this again...but would appreciate a photo of a simple single plate mount bolted to jack plate that I can mount two Maxtrax boards on...this would be on the left rear of the Hawk.

Thanks...Phil

Hey Phil I just built up a system for my hawk except I am setting on the right side and built a system to move it inboard about a foot so that it doesn’t cover my taillight. Here it is mocked up and Am currently painting it and will hang off the jack mount. I am welding the steel square tube extensions to a 13x6 piece of steel that will then be bolted to the jack mounts. I like this system as it’s all in one and was fun to build...but I did drill through my tracks to get the bolts to align.

I can post finalized photos later this week

Attachments

• 750637AF-245C-4CB6-BC01-390DF97FDFC2.jpeg
    750637AF-245C-4CB6-BC01-390DF97FDFC2.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 428
  • 642AC0B8-1FF2-4927-A325-3A113F86EE91.jpeg
    642AC0B8-1FF2-4927-A325-3A113F86EE91.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 4159CCD8-D29A-4C3F-A1AA-45BC4AEB0CF9.jpeg
    4159CCD8-D29A-4C3F-A1AA-45BC4AEB0CF9.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 343
Excellent! Odd I was drawing up a wooden version [with a hinge] of something similar yesterday but your concept is much cleaner than what I had envisioned. I have a window on the right side that I do not wish to block; need to figure out a hinge or quick release to get to the propane tanks on left side...

Please do take photos of both sides and of the installation points.

How much will this standoff [separation] from the siding of the camper? and what is the weight?

Looks great and I appreciate the design information!

Also not having orange [what I planned to buy] mats might be much less an eye sore!

Thanks,

Phil

So I got this all painted and hung. The mount system alone weighs about 8lbs including all mounting hardware, likely closer to 20-25lbs with tracks, ax, shovel. It is extremely stout and has little to no give in any direction and do not have any concern with it hitting the camper (but I’m still going to put on some runner stops). It sits about a quarter inch off the camper. I snapped two photos as the sun set and can get you some more detailed if you like.

Attachments

• B7F0066A-BB61-429A-A7FE-57C3B4D4BE21.jpeg
    B7F0066A-BB61-429A-A7FE-57C3B4D4BE21.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 425
  • C43D661C-8F53-4D8A-9049-5C8879D2E65E.jpeg
    C43D661C-8F53-4D8A-9049-5C8879D2E65E.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 374
Very tidy and solid looking install...hate to push my luck, but I can't clearly see how you mounted the Maxtrax to the frame or the frame to the camper...too dark and there is something above the jack plate that I can't see....

Is it possible when convenient to get photos of the frame only?

Well done...thanks.

Phil

Just received our Maxtrax II traction mats and they fit nicely inside across and against the back of our access cab....will sort this out and may still go with an exterior mount....but roof add weight to lift and tougher to get to when needed....on back of Hawk would require a removal mount to get to propane tanks and there is the possible theft issue back there....at $299 [delivered] I need to protect them!

Thanks to all the suggestions...still a work in progress.

Phil

After using the tracks, they might be very muddy. How are you going to get the cleaned up before you put them back in the truck? One solution would be to make a storage sack, but I still think that you would introduce unwanted mud into the truck interior.

After using the tracks, they might be very muddy. How are you going to get the cleaned up before you put them back in the truck? One solution would be to make a storage sack, but I still think that you would introduce unwanted mud into the truck interior.

===================================================================

Yes...If Maxtrax are used in mud....cleaning them would be an issue; more so inside than outside....storage bag is outrageously expensive, $139 and they add bulk [yah,like MaxTrax weren't !]...still mulling that over....an old sheet would work in a pinch and honestly driving in sand or snow is the primary reason I bought them...if needed in mud, so be it....cleaning the mud out and off of them will require a lot of water and a brush, depending on 'type' of mud...

Paul,

Many thanks...yes I had reviewed the '17 thread and did also pour over Bosque Bill's method of mounting....if I do not go for a jack plate hinged mount and if I decide or need to mount the trax outside, I will definitely use Bill's excellent concept, with a couple of mods I have in mind...

Appreciate all the ideas from everyone....thanks.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom