Older camper newer truck

WyoIDI

Hey All,
Sorry this may be a redundant/dumb question but I may be upgrading my old pick-up with a new version here pretty soon. I've googled this site and the web and haven't found anything pertaining to dimensions of a pre 1990 (1988) grandby and a 1999 f250 psd long bed truck. Other than it won't fit and the cab height of the newer fords are higher than other brands. What exactly wont fit? The grandby fits great in my 1993 f250 and the reason I didn't just let it go as impossible is I saw an older grandby than mine in the same body style f250 a couple weeks ago. I couldn't find the owner to get the low down on the fit, but the camper did not appear to be modified to fit the truck other than on a wood platform to clear the cab in front. So if anyone has experience with this very specific question, I'd appreciate any feedback/experiences. Does the fact that the camper needs to be on a platform possibly help the camper fit where its not supposed to? Or will I have to sell it or narrow the floor pack? Thanks in advance

This is a good start:

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/index.php/shopping-tools/fit-guide/

The Superduty has a higher cab. You will need to build a "spacer" to raise the camper. I don't believe there are any other issues. Look up Barko1 and check with him, He did it well and knows what is needed. I believe he used some 1" thk foam sheets which adds some insulation.

I have some old posts on installing foam pipe insulation between the bed rail and the camper to seal that gap which will keep that space clean and help reduce the sway.

Ask for specific details here when you get close... I'm sure every combination has been tried out before.

Have fun,

Merry Christmas to all,

~DR

Thanks DR, I like the foam Ideas for the platform, I'll definitely use those ideas if I can. I've read about the camper truck fit lists on the fwc website and it seems like their might be a grey area in the 99' style of truck. My 88' camper fits my "old" body style (93-97') f250 like a glove but I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with the "newer" body style truck 98/99-03/04' I think. Thanks again!

Mine is the '97 OBS.

The '99 was the start of the Superduty with the taller cab. Look up Barko and send a message, he has a Grandby on a '99 F250. I can e-mail him if you can't find him.

~DR

FYI- There never was a '98 model. They produced an early '99 that was the Superduty body, but had some left over OBS engine parts.

Not sure about Ford trucks but I think Dodge and GM ones, the tailgate width opening was too narrow for older campers. They won't fit between the opening of the bed sides.

Thanks DR, I like the foam Ideas for the platform, I'll definitely use those ideas if I can. I've read about the camper truck fit lists on the fwc website and it seems like their might be a grey area in the 99' style of truck. My 88' camper fits my "old" body style (93-97') f250 like a glove but I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with the "newer" body style truck 98/99-03/04' I think. Thanks again!

Note that putting foam in the truck bed under the camper will probably restrict air flow which is needed to keep moisture (and rot) from building up there.

I've got a 1980s Keystone on my 2000 F250. If your truck is the mid 1999 truck (newer Superduty body style) then you have a narrow tailgate opening like mine. I think my tailgate opening is 61" (if I recall correctly) and my Keystone is 59 1/2", so it's a tight squeeze. If I remember my research, many campers are 64" wide, so won't fit the truck. I measured alot of older campers at the point where they slide into the truck bed (right below the front window of the camper) and found that most would not fit.

Good luck.

I've got a 1980s Keystone on my 2000 F250. If your truck is the mid 1999 truck (newer Superduty body style) then you have a narrow tailgate opening like mine. I think my tailgate opening is 61" (if I recall correctly) and my Keystone is 59 1/2", so it's a tight squeeze. If I remember my research, many campers are 64" wide, so won't fit the truck. I measured alot of older campers at the point where they slide into the truck bed (right below the front window of the camper) and found that most would not fit.

Good luck.

Thanks for the dimensions and reply. My 88' grandby ended up being way too wide for the tailgate opening on the 99' superduty I was looking at. I should have figured that would happen but like your set-up, I've seen older campers on the newer trucks without any obvious sign of modification to the camper. At this point I'm considering going with a flat bed truck (they are plentiful in WY) and putting my camper on that. My 93' f250 is a great truck, I just want something with an extra cab. The search continues....
thanks again

i have a 2000 or so year model grandby on a 2004 f250. It's a tight fit but it fits! I wouldnt mind an extra 2 inches of wiggle room, but with someone helping to lean on the camper so it doesnt hit any sides, it has about 1/2 inch of room in the back and a couple of inches in the front, side to side. JR

Back
Top Bottom