Olympian wave3 above 9k'

Mickey Bitsko

I'm fixing to put one in a Northstar 650, read online not recommended above 9k'..?

Also, is there anything better as good or better?

Thanks

My understanding is that it's the low-oxygen safety cut-off that is the problem. High altitudes fool it into thinking there's not enough oxygen, so it shuts the heater down. I don't know of any such heater that is built without one.

Mickey Bitsko said:
Also, is there anything better as good or better?
Well, you might take a look at Plat Cat. This has a thermostat control, and vents the exhaust products OUTSIDE. But it's not particularly cheap, and I don't know if it has the same low-oxygen high altitude problem as the other's or not. It looks like they are built in small runs, so maybe one could be customized for you to work at the higher altitudes?

http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html

I ran mine camped at 9.4k along the Dunderberg road and it worked fine. Just don't forget to have adequate ventilation.

I see several online listings for the Camco Olympian Wave series of heaters say they're safe to use up to an altitude of 12000 feet (here's one at Camping World). I guess the question is whether 'safe-to-use' means the same thing as 'operates well'. It's good to see craig333 has used his at 9.4K and I'd encourage others to chime in with your experiences with the Wave series heaters at altitude.

I don't think the ones sold recently have oxygen depletion sensors. Buried down in this Open Roads forum thread (at 8/2/15 04:46) is a discussion suggesting the Wave 3 had them for several years but those are no longer sold.... and they had a pilot light. The current ones do have a "100% Safety Shutoff Valve" but that's described as 'prevents non-ignition fuel discharge'. I also read through the manual and did some searches for terms related to a low-oxygen sensor or oxygen depletion and don't see anything.

I believe the fact that Buddy heaters have an ODS and the Wave heaters don't has to do with how each works.

Thanks again,
I have a wave6 in a TT but have yet to use it above 8500'
I bought a Pop up and not liking Atwood forced air and I find we go to much higher back country with the Pop up. When we get back from our next trip in two days
I'm going for the wave3 and not going to worry about it.

For the most part I err on the side of caution any way.
I put just finished putting the wave6 from the TT in the Pop up looking a little over kill but heading up wind river mtn range in Wyoming, so bigger is better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom