Olympic National Park

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Admittedly I wanted to be one of the people heading south over the holidays but my wife had her heart set on Olympic National Park. “It won’t be crowded this time of year.” She was right about that. So north we went.
Much of the west has had a dry start to the winter but it was still surprising to see Mt. Shasta with so little snow.

gallery_176_360_84455.jpg

At Salem we left I-5 and made our way to the coast. The State parks in Oregon are really nice. Most have electrical and water at each site, free showers, and cost about half of what California State parks charge. We spent this night at Nehalam Bay State Park.

gallery_176_360_265313.jpg

gallery_176_360_322589.jpg

gallery_176_360_142330.jpg

Crossing the Columbia River from Oregon into Washington.

gallery_176_360_197165.jpg

In Washington you see “sustainably harvested forests” for hours on end. I’ll go along with the sustainable part, but this is no forest – just hundreds of miles of ugly tree farms IMO. What isn’t clear cut is exactly the same species, size, and spaced.

gallery_176_360_225822.jpg

Along the way the highway skirts Crescent Lake, a pretty glacially carved lake. Weather was starting to turn.

gallery_176_48_534058.jpg

The first night in Olympic NP was at Heart O’ the Hills cg on Hurricane Ridge. This cg is in the hills above Port Angeles. Lots of big trees – a true forest. We were one of only two sites occupied that night. We had hoped to go snow shoeing in the high country but with it being Christmas the next day the Visitor Center and road into the park remained closed. We figured we would head to the coast and return in a couple of days.

gallery_176_48_108023.jpg

Our first coastal visit in the Park was to Rialto Beach. This is not a beach you go walking on! It was amazing to watch huge logs get tossed about like toys in the surf. The wind and surf whipped up a bunch of froth and it was blowing everywhere.

gallery_176_48_119595.jpg

gallery_176_48_136952.jpg

gallery_176_48_55812.jpg

We really liked the color patterns on this log.

gallery_176_48_357371.jpg

Mora cg is about a mile back from the beach. It is a nice mix of forest but with some sunlight dappling through. The Quillayute River flows by the cg and a number of spots in the C loop are right on the river. We were able to watched a beaver for a little bit. Once again only one other site was occupied. We made a fine Christmas dinner that night and enjoyed our little Christmas tree in the camper window.

gallery_176_48_370039.jpg

gallery_176_360_188098.jpg

The next day we headed up into the Hoh Rain Forest. Don’t stand still too long or moss will start to grow on you, too.

gallery_176_48_67735.jpg

gallery_176_48_176847.jpg

An interesting cycle in a rain forest leads to trees growing in straight rows. A tree falls and soon starts to decompose. After a while seedlings start to grow on the fallen tree.

gallery_176_48_476684.jpg

Over time the seedlings’ roots reach the soil and grow tall in a straight line along the fallen tree.

gallery_176_48_638343.jpg

Eventually the fallen tree rots away leaving a row of “suspended” trees.

gallery_176_48_116497.jpg

The creek here was really interesting. We saw salmon spawning, an American Dipper, a Blue Heron, Mallard ducks, and evidence of someone larger. Not positive, but we think the prints were from an otter. We also had Bald eagles watching over our camp.

gallery_176_360_294088.jpg

gallery_176_360_30944.jpg

gallery_176_48_145296.jpg

This time we had the whole campground to ourselves. We chose a nice spot right on the river’s edge. We attempted to enjoy a fire but the rain made it short lived.

gallery_176_48_100997.jpg

gallery_176_360_120174.jpg

For our 4th night in the park we went back to the coast to Kalaloch. The campground here is sandwiched between the highway and the coast, but traffic is light at night and the sound of the waves is loud enough to drown most of it out. This cg was had more people but we were still able to get a site on the bluff. There was a German couple in a Man Expedition Vehicle doing a 19 month tour of North America. XPMarc, more friends of yours?

gallery_176_48_416459.jpg

gallery_176_360_9116.jpg

The rain we had for the past three days was snow in the high country and the road up to Hurricane Ridge had not reopened yet. So rather than return there, we made our way south. Three more nights in Oregon and we were able to get home and dry out. After reading about the cold overnight temps the Lighthawks and Ski3pinners experienced, I guess I shouldn’t have complained about heading north instead of south. It may have been wet but it was definitely much milder at night. So, as usual, my wife was right and we had a good trip. :D

Great trip Ted. We came through that area last sept.on our way home from Denali.The weather was much the same,rainy but mild.Did you encounter and werwolves from the "Twilight"movies?

We always like that area.In the 90's we stayed at Mora cg and Crescent Lake cg. Did you go to Le Push? Across the Quillayute at the beach?

Thanks for all the pictures.

Frank

The beach is much more mellow in the summer, it's cold but the logs aren't getting tossed like the winter storms do.

Good job on the classic moss phone booth pic. :LOL:

You are always good for a humorous trip report Ted! Looks like you picked a good time of year to go, i don't think you would have found any CA. state parks that emprty over the holidays! Nice shots, looked like red wine weather to me
wink.gif

Over time the seedlings’ roots reach the soil and grow tall in a straight line along the fallen tree.

Very cool, I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for teaching me something today!

Love that area of washington. A little rain is always nice, makes things nice and cozy. Grat pics as always, but looked more like Bourbon weather to me. :)

Ted, we've been anxiously awaiting your holiday trip report. You are not disappointing us, we want more and more! Looks like Peets Coffee weather to us along with warm fresh baked cookies! Did you get out the oven?

More, more, more!!

Looks like a good trip with great photos. I'm always hesitant to broadcast it, but the best time to hit the NW Coast is the late fall, winter and early spring. In the summer it's too crowded. Plus, that's the best time to take advantage of the Cascades and high desert. My wife and I have been fortunate to experience windows of great weather at the coast during the winter months. The campgrounds are near empty and no reservations are required. Beaches are wide open and you can cut the dog loose without much concern. We spent a week on the southern Oregon coast near Bandon prior to Christmas. Clear, sunny skies and temps in the low to mid 50's during the day. Empty beaches. We watched some Raccoons working the tide pools near Cape Arago. Can also be a good time of year for birding.

The Olympics are a special place. We have had some great times in the coastal unit of the National Park. One of the only places I've ever seen deer on the beach. Also, sea otters. They were wiped out in Oregon along time ago. However, one can still see river otter along some of the coastal rivers close to the ocean.

TK

Nice Trip Ted. I enjoyed the mossy phone booth and trees with moss too.

Your report gives a good feel for the CG and the beaches. Someday we'll have to head north too!

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have to admit that since my wife got a new camera I have been using mostly her photos in the reports, so kudos to her for a new found talent.

Did you encounter and werwolves from the "Twilight"movies?
Did you go to Le Push?
Frank, as 50 y o male with no kids, I had no idea why all this Twilight stuff was in Forks. When I asked the checker while stocking up on groceries, the guy behind me almost dropped his 12 pak of beer. They looked at me like I was from another planet. Didn't get there. Is it an interesting stop for future trips?

Good job on the classic moss phone booth pic.
Pods, I saw yours when I was loading the pictures but decided to include it anyway to show the change over time.

looked like red wine weather to me
Sunman, we brought a bottle or two. Ok, just over a case, but I always over pack in case we run into a fellow thirsty traveller. Sorry Marc and Ski, no bourbon or coffee for us.

TK, sorry for spoiling the secret.

Ok, who's posting using Simimike's log in? No tongue-in cheek comments??? Can't be him. ;)
Flamingo, I hope you are campered again soon so we can get out there and check off some of that short list!

The next day we headed up into the Hoh Rain Forest. Don’t stand still too long or moss will start to grow on you, too.

gallery_176_48_67735.jpg

Yep, Ted, I too like your take on Pod's classic phone booth. It is indeed a bit damp along the Hoh!

Ted,when we went through Forks back in the 90's it was just a camping/sportsman's area. Not being a "Twilight" fan either. Although at least the locals are taking advantage of the movies appeal and getting some income from people interested in that.

Le Push is just a little town on the other side of the river,it's in the indian reservation I think,it's also a cool Coast Guard base with some history.
Glad you had such a good trip We really like that area.I like driving 101 along the coast.Did you see all the steel art along the road in the South Bend area?

Frank

In Washington you see “sustainably harvested forests” for hours on end. I’ll go along with the sustainable part, but this is no forest – just hundreds of miles of ugly tree farms IMO. What isn’t clear cut is exactly the same species, size, and spaced."

Ted, Really great pictures, a wonderful trip, thank you for sharing.
About Tree Farms, when I was living in Switzerland, the forests there and the ones I saw in Germany were devoid of any biological diversity. Mostly trees lined up in rows. They even racked the ground of any life. I once saw one deer and I once saw a squirrel! Where and how they survived in a barren forest is beyond me.

Recently I flew from Eugene, Or. to Seattle. What a depressing sight, the clearcuts were greater than what was left of the forests.

Back
Top Bottom