On The Alaska Highway,,

robbie

We just arrived back home from a quick trip down the Alaska Highway to Fort Nelson, British Columbia.

I thought I would mention a few places to stop and have a look, on the way up or down

1) Fort Nelson Museum. Located at the west end of Fort Nelson. This to is is a wow. The car display is something to see. Most vehicles are owned by one fellow who works on the cars every day, He is now 92 yrs old. The rest of the displays are very interesting. This is a must stop... Admission is 5.00 or 10 for a family..

North of Fort Nelson there are Liard Hot Springs, Smith River Falls, Cranberry Rapids, Whirlpool Canyon.

Stop at Fireside for a burger, and fresh baking...

Tetsa River Lodge for fresh bread, cinammon buns and a look in the small store in the lodge.

Toad River lodge has good food. We ate there.

Gas in Fort Nelson is 5.20 a gallon right now. 1.52 a litre. Apparantly at the south (east end) of town gas is less expensive but I did not check.

Gas at Toad River was 5.71 a gallon

Muncho Lake gas 6.77 a gallon.

Distance from Fort Nelson to Watson Lake, Yukon, 350 miles. Quite a bit of construction but the road is very good.

In Watson Lake you can't miss the Sign Post Forest. 72,000 signs and counting. Bring one with you to add. You will need a nail and hammer too or another way to attach a sign.

Also in Watson Lake take a drive out to the airport and have a look at the wartime picture display in the teminal building.

The Robert Campbell Highway still has construction but mostly ok. Watch for the large trucks coming down from the mines. Take your time and you will be fine. Campgrounds are at Simpson Lake 55 miles north and Frances Lake 116 mles north of Watson Lake. Or just pick one of the many places you can pull off the road. If you go there is one of my favorites. Just north of the Finlayson air strip there is a toad going to ther left on the way up. It is a short drive and good road to a lake where you willmost likely be by yourself. Fisdh for pike roght off the shore.. I could go on about places to stop.
Again any questions please ask...(fishing, Hunting, Hiking, scenery, etc)

Come on Up

Robbie

Robbie thanks for the invite.
My wife is getting the "I want to go back" blues,(me too).
We miss that whole area. So much to see. We have had some great times on out 4 trips up your way.
Have a good hunt this year.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom