Operation Oxcart AKA Gini's Burden-A Four Wheel Camper story

Quick update:
Finally got the 2nd battery mounted in the engine bay. Also have my battery controller/isolator mounted as well. The wiring it the next big step and after that I'll be an even more happy camper.

On another note; does anyone know what size/type of bolts fit into the sliding parts in the Yakima tracks? I have an idea about attaching a tarp while in camp to the roof. Thanks.

i'm not sure what you are thinking, but I used 1/4 inch elevator bolts for a similar-sounding idea. I ground down the heads on two sides so they would slide in the track with the threads pointing up. I attached the tarp through the grommets to the bolts with washers and wingnuts. The attachment idea worked fine but I found the tarp to be too high when the top was up to provide the kind of shelter I was looking for. I ended up making a different set-up. I think the original concept would work well for a back door awning. I don't have detailed pictures of the first approach but there is a photo of the result on my blog.

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/06/new-awning.html

Went to the hardware store and tried out a couple bolts. They didn't have specific eye bolts but I wanted to know what bolt/thread works. For the sliding threaded nuts in the tracks the correct size/thread is M6 100 pitch per my trials at Ace Hardware. I think the following will work...

3107t44p1-e01gl.png

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3107t41/=r2fbkn

Finally got my 2nd battery and battery controller in place. The way it is now has survived a recent trip to Eureka Valley, Dedeckera Canyon, Steel Pass, and the South Pass of Saline Valley Road. The battery hasn't moved a bit. I do plan to secure the tray the battery controller is on to hinder some of the up and down play on the tray itself. This process took a lot of doing and trips to the hardware store. For those of you who do have a 2nd gen Tacoma and do not have the ABS system on the passenger side there is hope of getting a battery in that position.

I do not have a total parts list. Many washers, grommets, and other parts used. The tray is for a Group 27 Size battery even though mine is a Group 34. I live in an apt and do not have a formal workshop. Any cutting, grinding, and drilling was done pretty much on my balcony.

Nice job. I did pretty much the same thing except I used the IBS control system which didn't need much real estate in the engine compartment- made that part easier. I mounted my fuse box in the camper. It is a good idea to have another one in the engine bay. You will like having the extra battery. Are you going to add a solar panel? I am thinking about doing that next.

Thank you.

My battery controller has a connection for solar. So yes solar is going to be with me in the future. I wanted the fuse panel, and the battery, in the engine bay only because my fridge is in the truck instead of the camper. I think the next big hurdle will be wiring the switches and 12v connection inside the truck cab. I did find an ebay store that has a plethora of switches. Even one labeled "Camper".

I have two friends running similar set ups and exactly the same battery controller. I know I'll be happy with the controller. Can't wait to get it finally finished though.

Eric,
When I met you last year at "San Mateo Owners Rally" and you showed me your camper I really like that the couch was installed on the Drivers side. If I had known that was an option I might have purchased the roll-over couch and "flipped" my cabin arrangement as it really works well in that configuration.
Jim

I really like having the couch and being able to look out the window. Even though I didn't order the shell (bought used) I think it was done with a lot of foresight as far as a shell model goes. I'm very happy with it.

Well I finally broke down and had a shop do the electrical work installation. The only thing not done was a quick connect for my LED light bar which I plan to have mounted on my Yakima rack above the wind fairing.
I now have all my switches installed, camper power plug mounted in one of the bed cubbies, front spots (weak), and two always on 12V outlets in the rear of the center console. Having constant power for my fridge is great. Having the camper power on during camping is also very nice.

Brief update:
The battery mount broke loose and I'm working on a solution. There is a guy on Tacoma World who frame mounted a smaller size battery. He's not a camper, more into beating his truck to bits with big jumps so his mount is quite stout. I've also done a cheap awning solution which is noted in a few threads here on WTW.

Sorry to hear about the battery mount. Since mine is very similar, can you provide some more information on what exactly broke and what you think caused it? Maybe some photos? I'm curious so I can monitor my set-up. Thanks.

In the pictures you can see the piece which has the three bolts coming up from the fender. Well that piece has small weak welds and the size of my battery finally tore them off after many miles of off-roading. I have a friend who also had a battery mount fail in the same area. He wheels his truck harder than most people I know. But he also knows the limitations of our Tacomas. He is an aeronautical/mechanical engineer and works with the Toyota Baja Team.

ETAV8R said:
In the pictures you can see the piece which has the three bolts coming up from the fender. Well that piece has small weak welds and the size of my battery finally tore them off after many miles of off-roading. I have a friend who also had a battery mount fail in the same area. He wheels his truck harder than most people I know. But he also knows the limitations of our Tacomas. He is an aeronautical/mechanical engineer and works with the Toyota Baja Team.
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that happened. I'll have to watch that area. I'd be interested in more information about your workaround as you get it.

It works! My cheap awning was fairly successful for the first deployment. It was pretty windy a couple weeks ago near the top of the White Mountains. Other than the telescoping poles all the parts can be found at most hardware stores. I want to get a second set of tarp poles in order to keep it horizontal instead of slanted down. Also want to find a 6x20 tarp to extend it further out for more shade. The reason I use a 6' wide tarp is because that is the width between my jack mounts. For wider/longer campers you can have a larger tarp. Really happy with this as of now. The true test will be in Death Valley where the "W" thing can be fierce.

This is the type of tent/tarp pole I used:
https://smile.amazon...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I'm thinking about getting a set of these since they are lighter and have less chance of corrosion.
http://www.walmart.c...-8.2FT/53728954

I did some hunting and found the following poles. I was successful offering $50 for two sets on ebay with this seller. That is for four poles. They arrived yesterday and seem to be of good quality. If you are looking for tarp poles I'd say try these before any of the spendy REI types.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131868727226?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on transitioning from your old flippac to the FWC. What have you liked about the change, and what have you not liked?

Thanks.

ETAV8R said:
Well I finally broke down and had a shop do the electrical work installation. The only thing not done was a quick connect for my LED light bar which I plan to have mounted on my Yakima rack above the wind fairing.
I now have all my switches installed, camper power plug mounted in one of the bed cubbies, front spots (weak), and two always on 12V outlets in the rear of the center console. Having constant power for my fridge is great. Having the camper power on during camping is also very nice.

Another CTEK user! How is that unit working out for you? Interesting that you have it mounted in the truck vs in the camper. What size wires are you using to the camper batteries?

Back
Top Bottom