Opinions on Fresno

Jamesiam

So my company is trying to give me one of those " We have a job for you in Fresno, take it or thanks for your time with the company." From what I've read it's a pretty sketchy town, any opinions on this?

Its the access point to some of the best parts of the Sierra's. Never spent any time in the town itself.

I've never been impressed with Fresno - too hot and smoggy. But as craig says there are some nice areas near there. I have friends that live in the Shaver Lake area and commute into town.

Driven thru it on surface streets a couple of times. I've friends in both Meadow Lakes and North Fork. I'd be looking outside of town, preferably at some elevation. At least a little, like Auberry or similar. Don't know that I'd want to drive Tollhouse Grade between Shaver lake and Fresno everyday.

Yep, to hot and smoggggy! But as everyone says, it has real good access to allot of neat places and you can live up in the foot hills and commute to Fresno :) ! I had to work out of there alot years ago and it reminded me of the typical central valley town that you didn't want to be in during the summer unless you were in an air conditioned bar with a nice cold vodka or beer--oh, the college there is(was) pretty good too!.

Smoke

As close as it is too Reno, I would suggest making a drive down there on a weekend BEFORE you move.

If I was going to move there, I would spend a day or two driving around the entire Fresno area checking out the good areas and the bad.

It would not be my first choice to be moving there (I can sure think of nicer areas to be).

If I HAD to go, I would personally be looking for a small place outside of town.

Just like any big city, there will be good parts of town and some bad parts of town i'm sure.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Not a bad idea of Stan's. If you decide to do this, we have camped at Lost Lake Recreation Area just Northeast of town. When we head out on a long trip we like to leave after work the night before so we can get a head start. This is about four hours for us and works when we are headed south. Campground is nothing to brag about, but it is on a river. We have only gone in late and left early, so no real feel for the place. Has been quiet for us.

Back
Top Bottom