Options

save on miles and sales tax

Have your camper delivered to Reno NV, FWC has a location to do installs there, I paid the shipping fee and it wa still less expensive after the no sales tax.

Thanks Sst,

I already planned on doing that to save some $. As I am in Colorado, a trip to Reno will still cost a pretty penny.....and time. I am still wavering on spending that kind of money on a new camper. I wish I could make up my mind! :(

Delivery to Colorado

I had my camper delivered all the way to Colorado. Was cheaper then paying the sales tax in Calif, and cheaper for me then going to Reno. Would have cost me more in time off work, gas and mileage to pick it up in Reno then to have them deliver it here. The install was in my driveway and only took about 1 1/2 hrs to do. Got it a month ago and love it. Taking our first real week long trip next week. It is a big leap, but these campers are pretty cool and will last a long time. Best of luck with your decisions.

I didn't realize you were in the Butte...

I paid $1000 to have my camper delivered to Rawlins. WY....on I-80 @ the big Truck Stop West of town. No sales tax.

I was in the same place you are in July '08. The drive, even to Reno, is 2 days of hard driving one-way from this neck of the woods...time I had on hand but something I wasn't relishing because I would have had to do the trip SOLO. At the time gas was on the rise in a BIG way....and in the end we decided to pay the $$$...save the hassle of the drive and forego the trip to Cali.

Dunno what your living situation is like but if yer renting a room you may as well find a spot in the NF and live in the Hawk all Summer...paying down that bill a bunch while having a ton of fun!

We're heading to NM in 2 weekends...if we go south on 24 we could meet you at Poncha Springs for a bit. With all of the passes still closed it makes it tough to work around, huh?

Either way...buy the damn thing. It's only money and you only live once.

mtn

I envy you Kokopelli! I wish I were heading out for a vacation in a new Hawk model. I hope I can make a decision on this soon. Running my own business I make important decisions every day. What's up with this one?

Have a great trip! :thumb:

Paul

The camper will do better than the stock market. Go for it.

Yep. That was EXACTLY what happened here. Had a small investment and decided we should convert from stock to lifestyle... We did the right thing.

Welcome to WTW Paul.

I bought a new FWC Grandby in Oct '07. I went thru some of the same thinking you are doing now. It's a big chunk of money to lay out. I couldn't find a used one, especially as far east as I live. Anyway, after the recommendations from the folks on this forum and talking to Sean Dempsey, a FWC distributor in Eagle WI, I went with most options.

However, I did not get the hot water system and I don't miss it. I bought a Zodi Extreme shower http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodiextremeshower.html and an Outback Porta Priv http://www.evergreen-outdoors.net/outback/porta_privy.htm.

I was surprised to find that I don't really use the awning very much, but it's there just in case. I have a powered roof vent over the bed and we love it. The rear roof vent is not powered, but I plan to upgrade that someday to help vent cooking smells. I don't have the aux battery system because my truck has an aux battery. But that may be a problem in the future if I get a newer truck that doesn't have a place for an aux battery. I really like the 3-way frig because I love ice cream at times.:D The rear flood lites are nice. Definitely get the screen door! I don't know if the Hawk model has an extended bed option or not, but I recommend that. I also recommend the porta potti.

The way we camp, the mini dinette would be a very nice option. It wasn't available in 2007. I may add that mod to my Grandby someday.

One thing that I didn't like about some of the older model FWC's were outside storm flaps on the windows. I think FWC started building them with inside storm flaps sometime around 2003 or 2004?? Stan or somebody on this forum may know for sure when that started.

IMO, one advantage to a new unit is that you get all the latest improvements and cool features and they fit the newer trucks.

Have fun deciding on your purchase. You will enjoy it when you get it.

Phird05,

Screen door, extended cab over bed, furnace, fantastic fan..The absolute must have options.. Everything else you can make up for in an on demand fashion..oh, and the thicker cushions if that's an option these days..

Buy the Cam Damper!

TT

Thanks Buzzman and TT,

Yes, they do offer the extended bed, which I would get. The side by side dinette set is what I would order as well (no extra cost). The hot water is an option I have been wavering on. Since they do offer it, I am sure I would use it after guiding or hiking all day. I am not very concerned about sacrificing whatever storage the hot water system might utilize. It's just a matter of how nice an option it would be. I will be making the decision either way no later than next week, soooo.....if you all would like to keep convincing me to buy it, at least I can blame the purchase on someone other than myself. :D

Thanks for all of the valuable comments!

Paul

Best option available

It needs better engineering. I had to fine tune it with the grinder to make it work, but damn it's handy.
Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_3863.jpg
    IMG_3863.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 222
Damn, now I have to get the rear step option as well. I really thought I could live without them, but now I know better. Man, this forum is full of knowledge! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom