Ordered...2011 FWC Hawk!

x3 for rocks. Almost everywhere I camp I can find something to use for leveling. Having said that, I did spring for Lynx levelers because I sleep at work in my FWC a lot and I thought it would be more polite to use them rather than leave rocks scattered close to the parking lot (the site manager likes the place to look neat). The Lynx levelers work fine, but they are not a necessity and are just one more thing to pack.

I have the inexpensive small reflective levels inside the cab of the truck - one on the dash, one on the armrest (out of the way). They get things level enough for my comfort and for the fridge to work, and I can see both from the driver's seat. I also have an iphone/ipod/ipad bubble level and clinometer app, which I use to check the level on surfaces inside the camper.

Alright thanks for the reality check guys. Rocks and free Android apps and I'm good to go. As you can maybe tell, I'm going to need to be "grounded" off and on to keep from over analyzing and letting this camper thing get too out of control.

Thanks,
Chase

Alright thanks for the reality check guys. Rocks and free Android apps and I'm good to go. As you can maybe tell, I'm going to need to be "grounded" off and on to keep from over analyzing and letting this camper thing get too out of control.

Thanks,
Chase

Over analyze? Hell that would be like over engineer. You sure won't find any of that here.

Hey guys, does FWC issue a VIN number with each new camper or a serial number? Steve with FWC said they get a 6 digit serial number(no VIN), but I'm being asked for a VIN number by our insurance company. What's the deal?

Hey guys, does FWC issue a VIN number with each new camper or a serial number? Steve with FWC said they get a 6 digit serial number(no VIN), but I'm being asked for a VIN number by our insurance company. What's the deal?

When you pick up you camper you will receive a document called a "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" with a 6 digit Serial Number. My insurance company (State Farm) used the Serial Number in the policy....not a VIN number. I suppose each company handles things their own way...but there is no VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) number on the camper because it is not a vehicle.

FWC can give you that serial number in advance so you can have your insurance in place before picking up the camper.

Alright, seems as though I just got someone who was probably confused about what we are actually getting. Thanks for the responses.

I'd take pictures of the camper (all 4 sides), take down the serial number, and send the package to the insurance company or your local agent. CYA in case they get confused and think you have purchased a travel trailer.

Build Update: The frame is complete.

I know, lame update but it's all I have and it's at least started. We're dieing with excitement here, can't wait to take delivery.

Bought tires too, went with the Michelin LTX AT/2 in an E-rating. Not super "bad ass" looking but they get great reviews and should serve 90% of our purposes well. They drive smooooove! :D

I got to get mine insured as an extension of my truck insurance, based on the cost of the camper. No serial/vin required. Perhaps not covered when off the truck, but then it's in my home (garage)...

UPDATE:

We pick-up the camper at 10am in Reno on Friday. Hell yeah we're stoked! Turn back around come home to Tahoe and pack then we're headed to Bishop for the weekend to break it in. I'll get pics posted after the weekend.

We bought some rubbery drawer/cabinet liner stuff to line everything, hoping to help keep things from sliding and shifting while underway. We're also going to cut some carpet to fit to help keep the floor clean and warmer. Other than those two things we'll start using it and determine additions and mods as we go.

Used our REI dividend to buy a portapotti as well.

Wow, I have been slacking HUGE. We retrieved the camper from Reno on April 22. Outfitting the truck went smooth and everything on the camper seemed in order. So once loaded I raced home packed her up, waited for my wife to get home from work and we went to Bishop for the weekend. Crazy high winds in the evening & nighttime made havign the camper AWESOME.

We've now been back and forth to Bishop two weekends in a row and the camper has saved us from the winds all 4 nights spent in it. It is so great to have a place to seek shelter from wind to make dinner, hang out and sleep. Before crappy weather would force us into the tent or back of the truck in misery to cook, hang out(no head room/sit up room) and essentially force us to bed early. We cracked a bottle of wine, played cards, ate and went to bed at a normal hour because we could!

The furnace, fridge/freezer, fantastic fan are all working without any problems. The fan is loud but we can live with it. The water tank STANK and tasted like **** but now after a bleaching and 4 fill/drain cycles it seems to be cleared up. We'll know for sure next time we're able to get it out and spend a weekend with it.

The Titan really seems to handle the weight fine. We added Supersprings and they definitely help the sag. Acceleration/breaking are not a problem. When the time comes we'll consider a 3/4 ton but for now am very happy with the Titan/Hawk package.

I have a tone of pics but haven't gotten them uploaded, then I'll need to figure out how to post. I need to read the sticky and figure it out. This is the worst time of year for me for work so spending time dialing in picture posting just isn't happening.

We'll be spending a ton of nights in this thing over the summer/fall and I'll be posting TR's and pics along the way. That's it for now and sorry no immediate pics.

It's a lot more fun to use your camper than talk about it! But, we do like pictures and stories here. Bishop and wind, they kind of go together. Happy wandering!

Back
Top Bottom