Ordered New Scheel-Mann Seats for our Truck

ckent323

We have a 1993 Dodge w250 Clubcab LE with OEM "Captians Chair" bucket seats. The seat back pawls are broken and the seat foam no longer provides adequate support and comfort. (hasn't in years).

We have been looking at buying new seats since early 2018 and tried to get them before we went on our Alaska trip in 2018 but the lead time for new seats was too long and we did not have enough time to get them and have them installed before our trip.

We have variously tried Bride, Sparco, Corbeau and Recaro seats. We also explored seats from various wrecked vehicles. After a lot of sitting in various seat models, discussion and comparison of construction and features we decided that we like the Scheel-Mann Vario seats best. They are expensive but compared to trying to get high end bucket seats from a wrecked vehicle in the color and size we wanted the cost winds up being in a similar price ballpark with less hassle. However, we did have to forgo electric adjustment features. The upside is that means less wiring and less things to go wrong.

We visited the Iglehautallrad Sprinter Van conversion business run by Daniel Kuttner in Carpinteria, CA to try out the Scheel-Mann Vario F seats he has installed in his sprinter van. He is the only local Scheel-Mann dealer and he is the Iglehautallrad US distributor).

We really like the seats (this was our second try out). I found the Vario F seat back a bit short for my torso and the seat boslster width a bit snug at my thighs (I am a big guy)

Working by phone with Toby Pond at Scheel-mann in Portland (US distributor) I decided that the Vario XXL (3" taller back) and R model (larger side bolsters) would probably work best for me. The passenger seat will be a standard Vario F model.

I placed the order yesterday. Seats will be Grey checkerboard cloth in center (only Black is shown on the Scheel-Mann website) with Grey leatherette bolsters. Both seats will have sliders and inside armrest as well as heaters.

The passenger seat was in stock and Toby will be drop shipping it to us in a week. The driver seat needs to be built in Germany and lead time is 16 weeks - ouch.

I am ordering the seat adapter brackets from Wedge Brackets in Utah.

I will update this post once I get the seats.

The folks at all three of these companies have been very partient and helpful with us and I recommend them.

Scheel-Mann USA
Iglehautallrad USA
Wedge Brackets

Note: For Sprinter Van owners, Toby said a lot of people buying Sprinter vans are finding the seats unsatisfactory and are upgrading to Scheel-Mann seats. He said that is the fastest growing market for the seats.

Craig

Craig

You might consider getting some seats from a 1997 Toyota T100.

They are absolutely the most comfortable long days seats I have seen OEM.

We used to regularly make 500 mile days (6 of them ) for the trip to VA and I can actually walk and stand up straight after these jaunts.

Good luck with your new seats......I am sure the Sprinter folks have inspired a lot of new products with the generally deep pockets of the owners.

David Graves

I'd like a new seat for my truck but not quite at those prices. My legs get uncomfortable on long drives but I figure thats a sign I should stop and take a break anyway.

David Graves,

I think the OEM Dodge W250 LE version "Captian's Chair" bucket seats were more comfortanble than the Toyota seats. The 91 - 93 Dodge Ramcharger (and I think other years) use the exact same seats.

Unfortunately my OEM seats are now broken down and a complete rebiild would cost a large fraction of the new Scheel Mann seats. I have looked at a lot of seats from wrecked vehicles. Never found anythng that I wanted that would turn out so much cheaper than the Scheel Mann seats when all was said and done that I would buy them. The reason is most had wear that would need repair or would have reduced life as compared to new searts or if near new were several thousand for a pair.

I spent a long time as well as a lot of time and research making this decision. The invoice has been paid so now waiting for receipt of the new seats.

;-)

Right on...sometimes it is best to keep it simple.

Not many know but there are several small specialty companies that make custom seating and acoutrment for over the road trucks.

When I was driving long haul for one of the road racing teams we used an outfit in Indiana that was able to do custom sleeper beds etc for the tractor.

DG

David,

Are you referring to air seats like thoese made by Knoedler and National Seating? They are in the same price range as Recaro and Scheel-Mann.

Superior seats maybe?

Most of these seats are for on road comfort (I have sat in some) in RVs and Vans and big trucks. To my knowledge they are not designed to hold and support a person securely on bumpy unpaved roads and rough track.

To be sure they are comfy seats - sort of like a home lounge chair. Great for an RV or vehicle that stays on pavement.

For us it was a trade off, enough comfort on road but plenty of support off road.

Alas there is no perfect.

The Blanc-Oh! came to us with a set of Mastercraft front seats already installed. I've sat in a similar seat for 1,100-1,200 miles of combined pavement and Baja dirt roads working the 2004 Baja 1000 so I had some idea of what they would be like. With "normal" buckets, like those in our CTD, I find myself periodically needing to adjust their position to stay comfortable during a long drive. Not so with these seats. Which is a good thing because there is no way to adjust them other than fore/aft. I have since logged a ~1,500 mile trip and several 100 to 400 mile trips in this seat in complete comfort.

The downside to them is that they are not easy to get in and out of. I would imagine that they got ruled out early in your survey of options based just on that. Several mfg's of similar seats make low sided versions, but those will roughly compare to a high side bolstered "normal" aftermarket bucket seat, so they're still not an easy in, easy out seat. Still, if future readers are willing to deal with this small requirement I would encourage giving the Mastercraft and PRP seats a try.

One thing that these seats lend themselves to very well is placing them such that your spine is reclined and bearing down on the seat 'back' rather than stacked vertically. This is huge to both comfort and spine health. I was told by a desert racing prep guy a long time ago that the seats should be set like this or spine injuries would be a problem. They need not be radically reclined ala an F1 driving position, but they should be reclined enough that the seat supports the back during a hard bump rather than compressing the spine.

Mastercraft was one of the many seat brands I looked at. The Camber and Baja RS both recline but have about half of the Scheel-Mann adjustability features. However they are about 1/2 the price of Scheel Manns (and Recaros) too.

We both really like the thigh seat extension (in /out) adjustment and seat back torso (side to side)
bolster adjustability as well as the lumbar adjustments on the Scheel Mann seats (Recaro has these adjustments as well). No other seat brand I looked at had the thigh and torso bolster adjustments. In particular both Wendie and I get uncomfortable pressure under our thighs from the front of the current bucket seats in the truck during long drives. The thigh seat adjuster allows that pressure to be modified by turning a knob which movers the thigh support bolster forward or back effectively lengthening or shortening the seat bottom. We sat in both the Recaro's and the Scheel-Manns for quite awhile using the various adjustment features and thinking about how the seats compared to the present OEM seats in the truck.

The torso bolster adjustment will be helpful on rough roads to reduce side to side motion in the seat and can be opened up for smooth surface driving.

I actually ordered a high sided bolster Scheel-Mann Vario R with a higher seat back (XXL version) for the driver side seat. Yes, sliding into and out of the seat will be compromised but it will suppport me better. I no longer use the truck for daily driving so this is not expected to be an issue.

The passenger side seat is a normal Vario F. Wendie found it plenty comfortable.

The Scheel-Mann seats do recline and the recline angle is adjusted by turning a knob. The seat back angle can be finely adjusted. There is also a release that allows the seat back to fold forward for access behind the seat (our truck has an extended cab).

We decided on the Scheel-Mann over Recaro because 1) The Recaro model that fit me the best does not offer a fold down arm rest option (deal breaker!) and 2) the lumbar support is adjusted by squeezing a bulb and inflating or deflating a plastic bag. I saw that as an opportunity for leak failure 3) It does have a heated option although heat can be added by partial disassembly/reassembly and adding a third party heater.

A bonus feature is that the Scheel-Mann seat bottom folds up to allow access under the seat which is inaccessable with the OEM seat (and pretty much any afternmarket seat). The seat risers in the truck are a 15" x16" box and about 6" deep. That is plenty of room to locate electronics, a small safe, etc.

Both the Scheel-Mann and Recaro seats are marketed as orthopedic seats designed for proper spinal support. They sure felt like it when we sat in them as compared to most other seats we tried. The Scheel-Mann is a firmer seat than the Recaro and feels very supportive. Many of the other reclining seats (non racing seats) we sat in were a bit too soft and compliant did not feel as supportive in comparison, more like living room chairs, which is fine for smooth roads.

I will post a write up after we have them installed and put some miles on them. I am expecting delivery of the passenger seat within a week.

The Scheel-Mann seat for the passenger side of the truck has been delivered. The driver side seat was not in stock and had to be ordered. It will not be delivered until June.

The box is heavy cardboard and the seat along with the arm rest, head rest and electrical harness for the seat pad and back pad heaters were bagged separately.

full

The seat slider brackets were in a separate compartment in the box under the seat.

full

Front view comparison of the Scheel-Mann Vario F seat with the OEM 1993 Dodge "Captains Chair" passenger side bucket seat.

full

Side view comparison of the Scheel-Mann Vario F seat with the OEM 1993 Dodge "Captians Chair" passenger side bucket seat.

full

The side view comparison exaggerates the height difference becase the OEM seat has four threaded studs that are holding the base of it up about 2" whereas the Scheel-Man seat base is flat on the ground. Even at that the Scheel-Mann seat is about 2" lower than the OEM seat.

The adapter brackets from Wedge Brackets in Utah will not be delivered until the end of the month. So back in the box goes the seat until it can be installed.

Congratulations on owning the absolute finest seats available. I have read much about them and even spoke with an owner and as he stated, "words and pictures do them no justice." I am looking forward to more pictures and updates!

Any updated review on your new seats? I followed suit and got a set for my aging truck t extend its useful life. Only have short trips under my belt right now so I’m curious if your experience.

bimmeryota,

Greetings from Palmer, AK. We got off the ferry in Whittier this morning and this is the first internet access we have had in about a week. We have been exploring various locations along the inside passage, Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, Gustavus, with a few hours on foot in Petersburg, Wrangle and Yakutat, as well as a brief walk onshore at Hoona, during port stops.

The Scheel-Mann seats are great! It took me a couple of days to adjust my seat to my back to get it "just right" and it is firm but very comfortable! Wendie loves her seat too! Expensive but no regrets. The firmness is great at minimizing bouncing around while still being comfortable when driving on less than smooth, bumpy road surfaces.

We are planning to attend the Alaska State Fair tomorrow and then head for McCarthy and Valdez on Saturday.

I hope you are as pleased with your seats as we are with ours.

Cheers.

Craig

Hey Craig

All of WanderTheWestWorld is envious of your current trip !

Should you need anything on the trip south thru Oregon feel free to send me an email or PM.

We will be on the other coast most of September but you are welcome to stop by if needs must.

David Graves

Ronin,

No Jessie's in Palmer.

We tried the Palmer Ale House, good selection of food as well as 44 beers on tap.

Big Dipper Homemade Ice Cream for dessert.

David,

Thanks.

We still plan to try to drive home through Canada via Jasper, Banff and Glacier National Park in late September into early October depending weather and Covid restrictions. We are holding onto our return ferry reservations for now.

For anyone who is interested:

Lessons learned on the ferry

The MV Kennicott 2 berth roomettes are tiny and have no private bath. No bedding is included either. At least one of the ferry Captains likes the Ocean and he took us to Ketchikan outside the inside passage after passing between Vancouver Island and mainland BC becasue the seas were only 2-3 meters. A lot of people got seasick. No fun being seasick in a public bathroom. That was a 2 night adventure.

On the leg from Juneau to Whittier (most of this trip is across the Gulf of Alaska) we were on the MV Kennicott again for 2 nights. I upgraded us (right after the first leg - but at a premium for not being 30 days ahead of departure) to 4 berth roomettes. They have private baths, include bedding and towels and are perfect for 2 people so skip the 2 berth roomettes on the MV Kennicott.

On the leg from Ketchikan to Juneau we were on the MV Matanuska and the 2 berth roomettes on that ship come with linens and private bath. These cabins were fine for 2 people.

Every employee of the Alaska Marine Highway that we encountered was friendly, helpful and patient. I can't prise them all enough for making the voyages as pleasant as possible.

Food onboard is mostly cafeteria quality with an occasional Chef special that is quite good. The Clam chowder was consitently good although it was nearly as thick as custard but full of clams and good flavor.

Back
Top Bottom