Ordering a Hawk 1-28-17 Do's Don'ts?

I got the call from FWC service today, made an appointment for install! T-minus 36 days. Thank gosh for this forum, I learned a ton. I hope the mattress is comfortable.

One question for outside showers.. I have a shower tent to stand in for privacy, what does a person stand On so as to not get muddy feet?

pawleyk said:
I take it back. We're in Central America now and two fans sound like about one less than I'd like..
Holy cow! Your on a journey of a lifetime. Do you have a YouTube channel or are you posting on instagram?

n2Jeepin said:
One question for outside showers.. I have a shower tent to stand in for privacy, what does a person stand On so as to not get muddy feet?
This works for us. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=70098&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzpfHBRC1iIaL78Ol-eIBEiQAdZPVKhKhJ3vKFAMJu5Y8iwPqL1rtAdp6b1ATnw-3VEWF5MYaAi6K8P8HAQ

When folded, there is a compartment within that carries soap, shampoo, + other items. Two slats form a carrying handle. Works to keep feet off shower floor in campgrounds, also. Lightweight and cheap enough.

Paul

n2Jeepin said:
Holy cow! Your on a journey of a lifetime. Do you have a YouTube channel or are you posting on instagram?
We mostly keep the blog updated (one every Monday!) and post on Instagram. Our Facebook is fairly active too..

We do have a youtube channel, but it's mostly short clips and a few very amateur edits.

Youtube- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClh3fQtG8ZVQALxc2nTtiyA
Facebook- Running From Monday | Silverton OR
Instagram- Instagram

I think you can also get to most of that stuff from our website, in my sig.

We're having a great time so far, and love our Grandby. We originally thought we'd stay in hotels every couple weeks, but we're so comfortable in the camper we've only stayed outside it a handfull of nights in 6 months.

You're going to really enjoy your new Hawk!

I've not read through the whole thread so if this information has been covered I apologize. I'm in the process of installing Yakima tracks on the roof. It seems easy to DIY but you might want them to do it if your going to have solar on the roof or a box on the roof for carrying things.

I wear flip-flops also. The wooden mat keeps my feet in the flip-flops from sinking into the softened soil I created it by application of soapy water. :)

Paul

Aussiedor said:
I've not read through the whole thread so if this information has been covered I apologize. I'm in the process of installing Yakima tracks on the roof. It seems easy to DIY but you might want them to do it if your going to have solar on the roof or a box on the roof for carrying things.
Thanks Aussiedor, I ordered with tracks and the solar. I opted for a pretty loaded unit

What a great experience down at 4wc for the install. The guy that did my walk through was super cool and answered all my questions, the goodie drawer with all the manuals also included a rear solar plug with pig tails, and he also told me my unit I can walk in even if it's suspended and not on a solid base. I guess they now put a frame in the floor.

As far as missing my Back up camera, I have a tool and die guy making a mount, then I'm drilling a 1/2 hole in a piece of flashing that would have been behind the tailgate. It basically hides the spare tire. It will mount behind it so it should look pretty good when I am done, I will probably start a new thread to show that.

IMG_0257.JPGIMG_0258.JPG

Quick Question about Solar, I'm a solar Nube, I searched in advance in ultimate solar fourm. Due to the draw my Fridge/fans have and Camping in shady spots I am going to get a remote Solar panel to plug into the prewired Plug. I would like a 30 foot cable so I can set the panel up in front of my truck. When I research Solar Wires they are 2 separate wires 35' long.

(example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D7VBKMK)

This seems insane, 2 wires would get all tangled etc. Yet every picture I see of someones remote solar there are 2 separate wires.. is there a valid reason I am not able to find a 30 foot Extension Cable for solar, something like zip cord? is there noise Created if the + and - are run side by side or something? I know I can make a cable, just don't want to do something stupid if it will degrade the power generated.

Thanks in advance

Hi N2,

I agree, that seems insane. My recomendation is to call/contact the company that made your controller and see if they have anything. It shouldn't be too hard to make your own with wire and SAE connectors, but you'll need to ensure the polarity is correct. I assume you have solar on top, so your rear plug should already be connected.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Hi N2,

I agree, that seems insane. My recomendation is to call/contact the company that made your controller and see if they have anything. It shouldn't be too hard to make your own with wire and SAE connectors, but you'll need to ensure the polarity is correct. I assume you have solar on top, so your rear plug should already be connected.
Thank you!

Zamp Solar 15' Panel Extension Cable ZS-HE-15FT-N

My 2 cents too....I have only had my '15 Fleet for 7 months and only taken it out on the road a couple times so far, but I bought it for an entirely different purpose as I now live in it daily to save rent (I'm here in over-priced Silicon Valley after all). I thought having a stove was must have until I bought a NuWave portable cooktop. I have not used the stove yet and the propane cost/setup/refill issues are non-existent. The cooktop plugs into my 1k inverter and best of all has 3 wattage settings which makes it perfect at the medium setting. Done all my cooking on it and have no complaints as to the setup/breakdown ease. With the proper pan on it, it will boil water in like 3 mins. Run off solar it = zero cost which helps for daily use.

I also have not needed the real wall steps or the roof rack (although might be good later). Putting my top up/down once or twice daily makes struts mandatory and I believe they were either the wrong ones installed or the solar/rack was added later over-weighing their pressure. Still investigating that issue. I workout alot and I really have to get under it and push to get the thing to the sweet spot to finish raising it. I also have the Fantastic fan near the sink and a std. vent over the bed. When it's hot, I know I want the second vent. But it can bring in too much light, I think it should be made with a built in shade instead of having to rig one as waking up to too much sunlight can be a bother. The 1k inverter I think is a must too unless you don't have any electronic gear to worry about. Don't even ask about solar. I think of any and all options, that one is probably the best thing ever for RV's. At 160 watts, I thought it was enough. I now want more POW WAH. I actually think that its future will prove propane stoves unnecessary and possibly heaters too. It's easy to see that flipping a switch rather than having to unhook tanks, go somewhere to pay to refill them, reinstall, and then contribute to global warming (let alone having to have a safety monitor alarm) makes more sense. I like so far what I saw in another post for the flexible solar, super lightweight panel install I saw. Can FWC see that far? The entire top factory covered with lightweight, flexible solar panels and outputting a 1000+ watts? Having another heavy panel type will make raising the roof break my back. But with the 2nd vent, placement of any additional panels will have to be planned out to avoid covering the vents. Front dinette was my choice too and I was lucky to find a used Fleet with that setup as I agree to the seemingly extra roominess. But then I saw the Woolrich Flatbed model at the recent rally in Sonoma and I practically drooled on it's inside space and style.

n2Jeepin said:
It was today, I was told I needed the flush mount sink and stove though
So any feedback on the king size bed? We are placing an order this weekend and the Wife is curious on the King size bed? Does it completely cover the front dinette? I'm trying to figure if their is still enough space in the front dinette turned bed for the dogs, as compared to having the Queen bed.

Back
Top Bottom