Ordering countertop from FWC

BillTheHiker

Does anyone know what the available sizes and prices are for ordering a piece of finished countertop board from FWC? I get my Fleet shell in a few weeks and want to build a countertop between the battery box in the rear, driver side to the front wall, which should be about 4-5 feet long. If FWC is pricey I can do what others have done and get a piece of white melamine board at Home Depot

My drawer Cabinet is about 20 inches wide. Camper floor is 78". So there counter is About 58" wide. Call FWC or email Roy. - roy@fourwh.com and ask.
You can always go to Home Depot and ask if you can purchase a "ready- made " counter. They might even be able to cut it down if you don't own a table saw.

I ordered a counter all three counter tops from FWC when I did my build. Hinged unit over the fridge area, stove and sink area holes precut and the small unit for the front cabinet on the passengers side. Cheaper than I could have made, as I would have to buy a 4x8 sheet of laminate. I have worked with formica before, much better to let someone else do it and it looks factory because it is. See link in my signature for more info.

I wish I had known the info that Bill has shared when I did mine 5 years ago. Its holding up well though it would have been nice to have just 3 inches more depth. (bigger is sometimes better).

Working in the galley we discovered that if you extend the bed bottom out 6-10 inches without the cushion and place a smaill towell down to protect the bedding, the meal maker can set small items on it .

Thanks for all the input. FWC previously emailed me that only a few specific lengths may be ordered and no custom cutting, but no specifics and no pricing. I will call my dealer and just have him order minimum of five feet. Once I get the camper I can measure then take it to a cabinet maker to cut. Another reason to get it from FWC is the laminate will match that on the top of the battery box.

The problem with factory laminate (Formica) is the particle board backing. Moisture makes the underside swell and will bow the top if not well fastened down. If I were going to use it I would do it old school; glue it to plywood with contact adhesive and edge it with a trim router. Laminate fabricators usually have scraps you can buy rather than a full sheet.

I chose Ikea butcher block for mine. About $150.

I just spoke with FWC parts department. Their countertops are on marine grade plywood and they use the same laminate color/pattern on all the campers, which is the Formica brand Jamocha Granite pattern. They gave me a rough estimate of $90-100 for the materials for a 5x2 board. They get the boards with the laminate already glued on. I doubt if I can save anything by doing it myself because I would have to buy a 4x8 sheet of plywood and for the laminate which is available at Lowes. I doubt I can find a smaller section that matches the pattern.

My counter was plywood in 2013

cabinet+top+empty.jpg

Back
Top Bottom