Oregon Coast - Crater Lake - Dunsmuir

HERR42

We went up into Oregon and cruised up the coast thru Brookings and Gold Beach. On the way to Bandon we checked out Humbug Mtn State park and decided to stay. It was very tidy....with showers and the all. Was like a park....mowed lawns etc. Very nice. Not like Calif state parks.

The second shot is at Cape Blanco state park....there is a 4wd road that takes you down to the beach. At that park is a lighthouse...the only one I have ever seen where you can go up and see the fresnel lens. Cape Blanco state park is VERY VERY nice. it was mostly empty ....very pleasant. Being there is like being in the "emerald forest". I dont see how it could be better.

Oregon state really has some nice campsites.

Attachments

• IMG_5150 copy.JPG
    IMG_5150 copy.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_5164 copy.JPG
    IMG_5164 copy.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_5168 copy.JPG
    IMG_5168 copy.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_5211 copy.JPG
    IMG_5211 copy.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_5216 copy.JPG
    IMG_5216 copy.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 373
We stopped to see Watson Falls....almost 300ft.....its big..very nice.

And then on to Crater Lake.

We stayed a night near Castle lake up north of Dunsmuir and the following day went over to see the Cantara Loop. This is the site of the big chemical spill. I had never seen the big "guard rail" they put up.....it is big!

http://railsnorthwest.com/mcnwr/cantaraloop.html

Attachments

• IMG_5237 copy.JPG
    IMG_5237 copy.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_5241 copy.JPG
    IMG_5241 copy.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_5261 copy.JPG
    IMG_5261 copy.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_5267 copy.JPG
    IMG_5267 copy.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 380
Beautiful. I think i'll sell the fwc and just read trip reports :D

Hey Jeff

Nice pictures -- looks like fun.

I think there is a local light house about 15 miles south of San Francisco (inbetween San Francisco & Santa Cruz) that has daily tours and it also has the fresnel lens still in there (pretty sure if memory serves me right ?) But I could be wrong. It has been at least 7 or 8 years since I was there.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=533

======================================================

We went up into Oregon and cruised up the coast thru Brookings and Gold Beach. On the way to Bandon we checked out Humbug Mtn State park and decided to stay. It was very tidy....with showers and the all. Was like a park....mowed lawns etc. Very nice. Not like Calif state parks.

The second shot is at Cape Blanco state park....there is a 4wd road that takes you down to the beach. At that park is a lighthouse...the only one I have ever seen where you can go up and see the fresnel lens. Cape Blanco state park is VERY VERY nice. it was mostly empty ....very pleasant. Being there is like being in the "emerald forest". I dont see how it could be better.

Oregon state really has some nice campsites.

I covet your truck, Jeff. To me, the 2000 - 2003 (early) F250's were pure poetry in steel.

Someday we want to go to Crater Lake, too; thanks for helping us remember that goal with pictures.

Stan! how are ya!

but can you stand next to the lens to get a close look?

btw: its tough as its like being in a house of mirrors.....you cant tell whether a surface is really there or if its a reflection.

Back
Top Bottom