Oregon Coast

eyemgh

I've been scouring CalTopo and Google Maps looking for someplace on the southern to central Oregon coast where we can pop the top and enjoy the ocean. I know we can take a chance on finding an unoccupied pull out because that's legal on much of 101. We could camp on a bar on the Chetco or the Rogue. Any other ideas? We're fine sleeping higher and driving down to the water. Thanks!

The Bandon area has a SP and large beach.Don't know about just pulling over to camp though.
The SP is a typical site but the beach is so big and long you don't feel crowded.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
The Bandon area has a SP and large beach.Don't know about just pulling over to camp though.
The SP is a typical site but the beach is so big and long you don't feel crowded.
Frank
Thanks! We know the coast well because we live inland in Southern Oregon. Where to dispersed camp is a different question though. I was hoping to find USFS or BLM land close enough to the water that we could at least see, hear and smell it, but no luck thus far, short of river bars and pullouts.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Yeah I thing that request might be hard to fill.Although the National Sea Shore up south
of Florence used to be a place to camp without hoards of people.
Frank
That's the only area of USFS that goes to the ocean. The Siuslaw is big though. I was hoping someone who'd been there might chime in on dispersed camping locations.

There is no camping on most 101 scenic overlooks....that is not to say that some folks don't drive out here and park their motorhomes complete with picnic tables for a week at a time.

In my county there is not enough enforcement resource to deal with it.

Expect trash and lots of bio hazzard

David Graves

Wandering Sagebrush said:
My father, who lived in Florence, then Rockaway Beach, referred to summer as the invasion of the sand fleas.
I really like Haceta Beach just North of Florence, but I've never been there mid-summer. Can't camp there either.

DavidGraves said:
There is no camping on most 101 scenic overlooks....that is not to say that some folks don't drive out here and park their motorhomes complete with picnic tables for a week at a time.

In my county there is not enough enforcement resource to deal with it.

Expect trash and lots of bio hazzard

David Graves
Unless posted, you can stop for 12h or less anywhere on the S 101. Most of the posted signs are in city limits or formal paved lookouts. That said, with easy access, nice weather and homelessness the way it has been of recent, it could be gross. I just don't know if I want to "camp" on the freeway. I really don't like camping in campgrounds. Maybe it's an unanswerable question.

What is THE S 101 ?

Most pull outs in my area are signed no occupied vehicle parking 12.01 am till 5:30 am.

DavidGraves said:
What is THE S 101 ?

Most pull outs in my area are signed no occupied vehicle parking 12.01 am till 5:30 am.
Certainly between Florence and CA, but I think a little further north too. I'm not talking so much about the paved lookouts, but the gravel ones. The paved ones near Pistol River are all OK though.

We are trying to get out of the smoke in Idaho, any Oregon coastal campground suggestions? Ideally fs campgrounds.

I have a spot or two i have used in the past. An area mentioned above can be pretty nice, depending and your setup and comfort driving on sand. I go there several times a year, and only once was it crowded (4th of july). If you are willing to air down and drive a bit, you can find some peace and quiet. PM me if you wish if you have other questions.

Back
Top Bottom