Oregon Desert Trail

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
I've put this topic here in Trip Planning, though it's not a trip I'm currently planning, to inform and inspire the planning of others who may consider this new route through much of Oregon's high desert. It's a hiking/backpacking route...though you could camp at various points along or near the route in your camper (as I have many times over the past 25+ years).

OV_towns_2013 medium.jpg
The 750-mile Oregon Desert Trail was established by Oregon Natural Desert Association (ONDA)

This trail has just been traversed in its entirety for the first time, by Bend resident Sage Clegg, a 33-year-old woman who has accomplished some mighty feats in the world of long-distance hiking/backpacking (PCT, CDT, AT speedy times, etc.)

Here's a link on the ONDA site to the intro for the trail and hike: Across the Oregon Desert Trail
Here's a link on the ONDA site to a blog of the progress of Ms. Clegg: Into Oregon's Outback: The Oregon Desert Trail

Here's a link to a story of this hike yesterday on Oregon Public Broadcasting's website:
800 Miles Of Juniper And Jack Rabbits: First Hiker Completes Oregon Desert Trail
And a link to the audio version of the OPB story.

Will I ever do this route? Well...if I had to guess, I'd say I'll never do it in one shot, not in one trip. (just as I'll never do the PCT nor any of those other famous long-mt-range hikes in one trip).
But I can imagine that I might actually do it in stages -- one section at a time. Yeah, something to plan. :)
(and so, I can legitimately post this in Trip Planning! ;) )

Just off the top of my head, we (you and I together or separately) have probably done many disconnected sections of this trail.
Without digging out the map archives I can list:

Badlands Wilderness
Diablo Mtn WSA
Abert Rim
Hart Mtn
Steens (Big Indian and Wildhorse Gorges)
Alvord Desert
Pueblos
Trout Creek Mtns
Oregon Canyon Mtns
West Little Owyhee
Honeycombs

But, probably less than 10% of the 750 miles.... :oops:

CraggyMan said:
Just off the top of my head, we (you and I together or separately) have probably done many disconnected sections of this trail.
Without digging out the map archives I can list:

Badlands Wilderness
Diablo Mtn WSA
Abert Rim
Hart Mtn
Steens (Big Indian and Wildhorse Gorges)
Alvord Desert
Pueblos
Trout Creek Mtns
Oregon Canyon Mtns
West Little Owyhee
Honeycombs

But, probably less than 10% of the 750 miles.... :oops:
Yep, the Trail hits all the high points, all those places that are favorites of us Oregon high-desert-rats...as well as areas between that are more subtly fabulous. ;)

On the other hand we have probably driven on another 10% or more, so maybe we only have another 600 miles to go.. give or take. :D

Back
Top Bottom