Oregon Memories - The MC Ranch

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I was actively taking a snooze today, after fighting through some Portland traffic, listening to the Ian Tyson radio channel on Pandora. A song called M. C. Horses came on, and it suddenly hit home. This was about the famous MC ranch near Adel in SE Oregon. At one time, the MC was purportedly the largest ranch in the US, and certainly Oregon. It is located in the Warner Valley, at the foot of Hart Mountain.

It was put together by William Kittredge's grandfather back in the early 1900s. After he quit ranching, Kittredge went on to become an author and professor at the University of Montana. He has several great books on SE Oregon. A couple of anthologies (We Are Not In This Together, Owning It All), and an interesting autobiography/memoir (Hole in the Sky) about the conflict in their family over the ranch as time progressed. Kittredge was also a coproducer of the movie, A River Runs Through It.

Yep, that's a really great area...many fond memories of driving east past Adel on 140, Warner Valley illuminated by p.m. "Golden Hour" light, on the way to somewhere even more out-there. Stunning area.

I've read some Kittredge myself. :)

Back
Top Bottom