Organization

Espresso

I just returned from a great 10-day trip in the Sierra. Weather was almost perfect; just a few afternoon thunderstorms. I didn't get a good look, but I think I saw a couple other Four Wheeler's heading east on I-80. One was on a gold or metallic tan truck and the other was on a truck towing a Jeep.

Anyway, this was my 2nd trip with my camper. The first was an over-night'er to a friend's property in Gold Country. I loved the camper, but I had a tough time staying organized. There was stuff all over the place. Between the usual camping swag, motorcycle, mountain bike and paddleboard gear, I was constantly shifting pile A to pile B to lift a cushion to find pile C.

How do you stay organized in your camper? Limit your trip to one activity?

I do think drawers would be much better than lift-up cushions, but I also think a lot more gear can be put under the cushions.

I just returned from a great 10-day trip in the Sierra. Weather was almost perfect; just a few afternoon thunderstorms. I didn't get a good look, but I think I saw a couple other Four Wheeler's heading east on I-80. One was on a gold or metallic tan truck and the other was on a truck towing a Jeep.

Anyway, this was my 2nd trip with my camper. The first was an over-night'er to a friend's property in Gold Country. I loved the camper, but I had a tough time staying organized. There was stuff all over the place. Between the usual camping swag, motorcycle, mountain bike and paddleboard gear, I was constantly shifting pile A to pile B to lift a cushion to find pile C.

How do you stay organized in your camper? Limit your trip to one activity?

I do think drawers would be much better than lift-up cushions, but I also think a lot more gear can be put under the cushions.

I find that be marrying a kindergarten teacher that was a big help. Next to that you might want to limit the stuff you take.We were on a 5 week trip last year into Denali,Yukon and BC. First thing to remember is that there are stores out there so you don't have to cart everything from home.As for things in the camper I have a 09 Bobcat and since it has a 48"x72" bed we don't have to carry the extra cushions. Also the cabinets are the older style with slide fronts.I find with the limited space to have doors that swing open it's hard to keep out of the way.Oh these are my opinions and how I have worked around the limited space of the campers.
I have a storage unit on the right front of the camper 3 drawers good for cloths and small things.On the floor at the front I have a 2 drawer unit with a wooden top that you can sit on and we use it for kitchen storage coffee,fruit,caned foods things you use more often.Under the sink I have a slide out basket with all the cooking items and next to it a small plastic basket to hold small most used cooking things,coffee grinder,dish soap,things like that .I have filled up all the usable space under the sink.Below ,on the other"step"is a long sliding door cabinet I can carry other food items there.Under the cushions,I have a dinette set up so there is space under the table.The front cushion/cabinet holds the battery and isolator and solar controller,also some hand tools,saw,axe oh and the beer and wine.The rear cushion I keep shower towels,a plastic "kitty litter" bucket,the square ones comes in handy for sink water if I run it out the drain.Inside that bucket I have a propane lantern,some wood blocks to put under the wheels if need be.On top of the fridge area we have 2 plastic snap lid containers for all the health items,tooth paste,tooth brushes,meds the things you would have in your bathroom.When the top folds down it holds them in place so they don't move around.On the ledge by the window I carry a "flea market"8' shade pop up.At the rear corner I have 2 folding chairs that when folded up in their bag,stand in the corner held in place with a small bunggie.Between the rear cushion and wall I keep a porta pottie and step stool.
Next lets move to the tie down openings.You can store things in there,extra propane,tow rope,items that you may not use all the time.On the outside under the overhang I have,one on each side 5"x5'plastic tubes to hold walking sticks,fishing rods and a drain hose for the sink.
My truck is a Tundra AC cab,I removed the rear seat and built areas to hold a fridge in the middle and a 3 drawer storage unit on each side for our clothes and spots for stuff that usually "floats"around the truck cab while traveling.
We have made just about every space useful for us,but I don't feel we are cramped or have a bunch of stuff to move from place to place every time we want something.
We have taken a lot of long trips and feel this works the best for us in the manor we camp.
We try to take minimal items,like I said there are stores out there.
Hope this gives you a little help and ideas.There are ways to start organized and camp that way.With the little room our type campers have one must take advantage of all spaces.One last thing.I try to keep notes posted on the rear lift panel as to where things are,to save from searching the whole camper to find something
Frank

I like the idea of flip-down doors instead of slider's, but I realize they may not work everywhere. One thing I don't get is the "cupboard" along the passenger wall. It seems it could run all the way from the bed to the back wall, and even wrap around the back wall to the door. Any thoughts to why this isn't the case?

I also plan to get storage bins for the shelf behind the couch. That area became a mosh pit of confusion.

I like the idea of flip-down doors instead of slider's, but I realize they may not work everywhere. One thing I don't get is the "cupboard" along the passenger wall. It seems it could run all the way from the bed to the back wall, and even wrap around the back wall to the door. Any thoughts to why this isn't the case?

I also plan to get storage bins for the shelf behind the couch. That area became a mosh pit of confusion.

The cupboard can't extend forward any more as the bed won't slide out if needed,unless the front part was made lower so the bed slide would go over it.That's where the small 3 drawer storage unit comes in handy.I guess you could make it longer toward the rear but it's such a small space to begin with might not be worth the time.
Your using storage bins behind the couch should work.Just use all the available space you have. The flip down doors I could see working,haven't seen those.What I see in the new campers is a bunch of drawers,not my style.
The drawer units I mention you can get at stores like Target,Walmart,Lowes,Home depot,they are office type things for filing and such.They come in real handy,gives organization to your stuff.If you would like I could post photos for you?
Frank

You obviously carry way too much stuff. Sue & I pack for a 6 week trip and have nothing on the floor or the bench seat. As stated the wheelwells can store a lot of gear; everything else goes in the storage cabinets. Everything you carry adds weight to that expensive lightweight camper you just bought. If you fill it up it won't be light anymore and you might as well have bought a heavyweight camper.

The wife and I were just having this conversation on the 12 year anniversary of our pop-up. A couple of things we learned which may or may not be helpful:

1. we took way too much stuff the first couple of years. We had a lot of just in case stuff that never got used.

2. stuff has a tendency to accumulate in the camper from trip to trip. Every spring or so I try to unload EVERYTHING from the camper and review what is really needed - its amazing how much stuff just ends up there from past trips, etc.

3. A lesson we are trying to teach my daughter - everything gets put away immediately when you are done with it. When the total counter space is 2x3, no room to have clutter. This also makes it easier when we hit the road and I don't get have to get impatient putting away a bunch of stuff :)

4. There are some amazing storage bin type solutions at your local Walmart or Target. We've done a good job of maximizing nooks and crannies with this pouch and that plastic container.

5. Consider having a set of dishes and toiletries for the camper that stay in the camper. It helps resist the temptation to grab an extra pot or whatever when packing up, and everything has its place that it lives. Also makes getting ready to leave easier.

-Vic

For me, lots of cooking over a fire, (yea, roasting a hot dog) equals less pots and pans. Seriously, the first thing I found to help is scaling back on my cook gear. I get by on one pan, one pot, a couple stack-able bowls and maybe my dutch oven. With the FWC's it helps to adopt a semi back packing mentality and approach.

The second thing I learned is when packing clothes that less is more. For my two sons and myself we limit ourselves to one smallish H20 proof duffel each to get clothes, fishing vest, coat, tooth brush, smaller nuclear devices and so on packed. The H20 proof helps when dry camping we can put the bags outside sans the nuclear equipment and not worry about missing the weather forecast.

Good luck in your pursuits.

I definitely brought more than I needed. I think with the combination of less stuff, more bins and finding a single place for each item, I may keep the camper from looking like a hurricane just blew through.

I've been camping with a toddler and an infant so we over pack :D And I have the small cabover so bedding has to go under the couches - so there goes most of my 'extra' storage.

But they key for us has been - everything has a 'spot' - even my son has a 'spot' to sit when we are getting ready, cooking, etc. For cooking I have some stackable bins that fit in the tall closet by the door - I can get them out, get what I need, put them back, etc - and it keeps the counter clear for working.

I think you're definitely carrying way too much stuff. If you can't fit it in the under sink and couch storage, it's gotta go.

Next time when you come back from a trip, go through all of your gear. anything that didn't get used on the last trip goes. From there, make a list (either mental or written) of what you did use, and how that item could possibly be replaced with something smaller, lighter, dual-purpose, or some combination of the three. How much silverware do you carry? Is it just two or three people? Then you only need two or three forks, spoons, and steak knives. No butter knives needed if you already have steak knives, right?

Better yet, get a can of spray butter. It's good for your pans, still gives the flavor of butter, and doesn't need to be refrigerated. So now you have room for an extra tallboy in the fridge.

Things like that. It's a process.

The comment above about having a dedicated set of dishes, utensils, toiletries, etc. for the camper is crucial.

Consider a roof box like a yakima or thule but don't get carried away. These are good for carrying bulky but sometimes important lightweight items that don't necessarily need to clutter up the living space. You can use it to store camp chairs, extra (empty) water jug, a shovel, rope, solar shower, etc. But if the roof gets so heavy that your wife can't put it up comfortably, it's time to pare down again.

Where are you going? How long will you be gone? It's very easy to pack WAY too much food for a whole trip, when you probably drive past 2 or 3 grocery stores a day along the way. Carry 2 days worth of food at a time unless you're going up in the hills.

Like luckydan said; picture your FWC like a big backpack. Everything in its place, nothing unnecessary or duplicated, and never packed too heavy to hike with.

Hmm, I didn't use the first aid kit. I guess that can go.
smile.gif

I think my biggest problem is that my idea of a vacation isn't sitting around camp and reading. I have my dual-sport and all the gear for 2 riders, bicycles and a paddleboard with associated gear. Plus hiking boots and poles, camelback's, etc, etc, etc.

I have to bring the motorcycle because with a camper, that is the only way I can run to the store or sight-see. Looks like I'll have to take a few of the suggestions, like thinking of the camper as a backpack, and work it out over the next few trips. It gives me a good reason to get out there and work on my system.

Hmm, I didn't use the first aid kit. I guess that can go.
smile.gif

I think my biggest problem is that my idea of a vacation isn't sitting around camp and reading. I have my dual-sport and all the gear for 2 riders, bicycles and a paddleboard with associated gear. Plus hiking boots and poles, camelback's, etc, etc, etc.

I have to bring the motorcycle because with a camper, that is the only way I can run to the store or sight-see. Looks like I'll have to take a few of the suggestions, like thinking of the camper as a backpack, and work it out over the next few trips. It gives me a good reason to get out there and work on my system.

Why can't you sight see with the truck and camper?The idea of the "backpack" is a good thought.Our campers are a compromise and should be looked as such.If it doesn't fit it stays home. If you worry about lifting the roof get roof lifter thingies.Storage on the roof is good several members do that and it works for them.
When we are out for the most part we don't "sit around".I may be out fishing a stream while my wife reads,or park at a trail head and take a hike.We don't go to a camp site and bring all the stuff out and set up camp.We tend to be minimalist that way.We have been known to set up the pop up awning over the camp table and sit in a warm rain may be a fire going.This has happened in Alaska where in the temperate forest you can do it,but for the most part we are out and about.After all since we like viewing animals you have to go to them,they don't just show up on your door step,generally.
I have liked this thread and it has put me to thinking about what we need and don't.I do have the space,what I now need to think about is are some of these thinks we carry along useful and how much weight they add.
Thanks for all the comments and ideas,and thanks Espresso for starting the thread.
Frank

Too much stuff, sure but thats a good thing too. Never have to borrow a corkscrew from anyone. Enough food that if you take weekend trip and get stranded you'll still be eating good for a week.

I bring too much stuff. Doesn't really bother me. I do try and put everything away promptly. If making a sandwich get out each item, use it and put it away before getting the next one.

The way I see it, its not a backpack, I don't have to camp like a backpacker.

Btw, I just added one more item to my pantry. http://www.govinowine.com/

Espresso, I don't know what to tell you about "organization", but as for what to bring and how much:
Bring what you think you need or want, not what somebody else tells you you're supposed to bring. There is no official/approved gear list for pop-up campers.
Funny how people think that whatever they do is the "correct" thing to do...
rolleyes.gif

Espresso, I don't know what to tell you about "organization", but as for what to bring and how much:
Bring what you think you need or want, not what somebody else tells you you're supposed to bring. There is no official/approved gear list for pop-up campers.
Funny how people think that whatever they do is the "correct" thing to do...
rolleyes.gif

Couldn't agree with you more.Take what you want.After all the stuff police don't make it out to where we camp,but the trick is "organization".With only limited room it helps to have some.
Frank

I have a question for our sponsor. Are you able to hang bike AND bicycles off your pickup or are you using a trailer?

If you are able to hang it all, then we probably all have a lesson to learn from you!

I'm able to put three float tubes and fishing poles on top, and it looks like a carnival wagon going down the road.

Too much stuff, sure but thats a good thing too. Never have to borrow a corkscrew from anyone. Enough food that if you take weekend trip and get stranded you'll still be eating good for a week.

I bring too much stuff. Doesn't really bother me. I do try and put everything away promptly. If making a sandwich get out each item, use it and put it away before getting the next one.

The way I see it, its not a backpack, I don't have to camp like a backpacker.

Btw, I just added one more item to my pantry. http://www.govinowine.com/

Not a bad price. I bring wine in a box and use my small halgene for my glass

LuckyDan -

I have a small trailer for the motorcycle and bicycles. I also load a few of the heavier items on the trailer to reduce the weight on the truck.

I plan to get a front receiver for the bicycles. Then I'll only need the trailer when I take the motorcycle.

I can relate to the carnival wagon comment. My brother-in-law said I look like an Oakie heading back home. One of these day's I'll post pictures.

I would agree with most of what everyone else has said. I did a bit of math with the bench seat, and found that I could get a bit more storage space out of a dinette setup with taller seats, and open up some crucial floorspace at the same time. It worked out really well. I also have followed the Rubbermaid drawer storage suggestions and have put a set in between the front end of the counter/cabinet and the front wall of the camper, as well as a set underneath that sliding cabinet on the rear right side of the camper.

As a paddler and mountain biker, I agree with the "too much gear" thing, and have found that a Thule box on the roof is the best solution for me. No wet, stinky, muddy gear in the camper, and it's out of the way until I'm on the roof pulling down boats anyway. The activity gear definitely takes up a lot of space, and if it's not being used on a daily basis has a tendency to get in the way. I've also heard/seen folks use Rubbermaid tubs that come out of the camper once you reach camp...makes sense, as they're mostly weatherproof and if they're full of gear that can get wet, it doesn't really matter too much. Just slide them under the back of the camper, and you're set. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
West

Back
Top Bottom