Organizing rear of cab for storage?

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
Crew cabs, extended cabs and double cabs are a blessing for space-challenged popup truck campers.

I have seen videos where rear cabs were used for storage, but gear in these videos often seems to be randomly jumbled, requiring a lot of shifting and searching to find things.

I have not yet seen a video or blog where shelves, stackable boxes, etc. were neatly installed to maximize storage space, organization and easy gear retrieval. Are there many videos or how-to instructions out there?

Does it make sense to entirely remove the back seats from the cab to increase storage space?

LiveLifeNow said:
Does it make sense to entirely remove the back seats from the cab to increase storage space?
It did for Sioux and me with our 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab. It is almost always just the two of us and in a pinch three can sit cozily abreast up front. So we took out the 2.3 part of the rear seat just leaving the jump seat folded up. (We kept all the hardware and seat if someone wants to put it back in.)

I built simple shelving to store our folding chairs and table, duffel bags and our receiver mounted Warn winch. On top of this sits 2 of our 7.5 gallon containers (well restrained) for additional fresh water. Behind all this there is a vertical cavity that holds our folding Renogy solar panels.

I carpeted all the shelving and wood with the dark gray commercial carpet available by the lineal foot (super cheap) from Home Depot. I'm going to tweak it a bit more but it is working well.

Steve

Removed the rear seat of my Tundra AC.Built a backing and lower shelf with hinged parts to get to the under floor compartments.
Than using 2 office storage drawer units aprox,18"x12"x24",for clothes storage and small items on top in an open drawer.
Works great plenty of space and keeps clothes and other things organized and neat,that's the key to rear seat storage IMO.
Frank

Chevy crewcab. I have the Duha storage under seat with small air compressor rope lots of odds and ends. Leave seat backs up. Built shelf over that. We have 4 plastic draws on one side with solar bag behind it. small cooler in middle. One more draw on other side with food tote on top. Shirts & undies or what ever goes ln draws. Boots go under shelf. Still have room to cram more stuff. Mitch

I wish i could include pictures but am to electronically challenged.
I pulled out the rear seat and center console. Reinsulated several bare areas.
Built a platform covering the whole area, about 10" off the floor. Good storage for table and hiking poles etc.
Than built 3 boxes. One in the center that we can pull up as wanted to replace the center console. One on each side, accessible from the doors. His and hers storage boxes 26"x20"x10" tall.
All 3boxes are the same height so We still have a solid platform on top, to nap on, put stuff, or future dog platform.

I also pulled the 2/3 bench seat out of the rear cab on my '14 Tundra. I built in a locking storage cabinet so that my wife and I can lock up anything of value when we're out and about. When camping I usually store my clothes, camera gear, binos, cordless tools, and anything else that I value in it. There's still room on the floor in front of the cabinet for camp chairs, drinking water, road snacks etc. I have storage/cargo nets on the front,sides, and inside the top door to stuff smaller gear like 1st aid kit, head lamps, maps, etc. Our food box and wife's duffel bag sits on top of the cabinet. There's still the 1/3 seat for another passenger or more gear to sit on, but I'll probably end up taking it out to create space for a Dometic or Truckfridge type cooler some day. I had done the same thing to my '03Tundra and had a full length cabinet Never missed the rear seat - ever!! Without the rear seat you have a clear open space to build in any configuration of cabinets,drawers, and shelves one could imagine. Make use of that wasted space!!

My little project. Deck for Charlie so he can see. Underneath storage, tools, bags, coats, whatever just a large open void. Not finished but here are a couple of pictures. ImageUploadedByWander The West1485317244.488132.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1485317272.252258.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1485317310.517843.jpg
Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

2003 Toyota tundra access cab.

Depending on your storage needs, we travel full time so need more clothes than than that needed for your average camping trip. This clothing bar in the access cab, or one like it, has been fantastic.

High Road Expandable Car Clothes Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NI7KE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EwcJybMFX5E04

Actually more space efficient than folding in drawers, clothes don't wrinkle, and we leave space in between driver and passenger side for dog bed. We decided not to pull the seats out because we have no place to put it at current, but are making due quite well with the bar. Otherwise, we have about one small bag each in the access cab foot Wells driver and passenger and put various items in the seat back pockets and access cab door cubbies. Actually works pretty well and is organized.

Outside the realm of the access cab, we also have a stowaway 2 swing out storage in the tow hitch that we picked up on Craigslist for cheap, and that has been a real game changer storage wise and has allowed us to keep gear, stove, propane, motor oil, etc. Out of the truck and camper. Also serves as an excellent step up into the camper. Added a hitch stabilizer bar to add stability and stave off swaying of the trunk while driving and all set.

Thanks for the kind words Hoyden, and yes Charlie does make good use of it Happyjax. Hay Trowbocop I like your access, as I have to reach into mine. That's not too awfully bad as most items a large bags. I like how you can recline the passenger seat. I have given a little thought to re doing that side of mine.
Russ

Did a very simple, inexpensive modification on the Dakota. Removed the 1/3 rear seat, and added a plastic bin (like an 'action packer') in that spot on the platform. I used a nylon cord (available from camping supply stores) attached to the (former) seat bottom hardware, so the bin would not move around. Those little spring-loaded cord locks/toggles keep the line snug. The bin holds emergency supplies I'd want on board at all times, such as jumper cables, tow strap, small air compressor, extra water, emergency rations, etc.

Came in handy when I was stuck for 2-3 days on the 'other side' of the great San Diego fires of 2003, all westbound highways closed.

Back
Top Bottom