ORU Kayak newbie’s

WjColdWater

Added some fun gear for travels and we love the flexibility of these kayaks.
F6-C86-E3-B-9-D15-4-CE7-AAC6-350358-B2-F1-C9.jpg

Carol chose the Inlet model 10’ long and weighs 20 lbs. I have the Beach model at 12’and 26 lbs.
C9-CB80-D6-A2-B0-438-B-B6-A9-BF05-A7-F3-F0-D1.jpg

Very well designed and assembly and stowing is very easy after a couple of outings. Average setup time 10 minutes and stowing slightly less. The folds are stiff on the first few assemblies but, become easy with usage. All the separate parts stow within the folded kayaks for easy of storage. Easily can transport in a car trunk or back seat area. We use these on trips with our FWC Grandby and fit inside for travel.
62-B72-B18-1-C9-A-42-DA-B38-E-95-AF8414-D9-F6.jpg

Disassembly very easy with colored instructions within the kayaks. Interior components are well designed and fully adjustable for your comfort. These kayaks are great for lakes and slow rivers and light waves.
0-F930717-3-EB4-4-A95-8-FEC-E300-C800467-B.jpg

8762800-F-3-EDA-4131-8-F17-DB20558-AFE32.jpg

These are a great option for taking on the road with limited cargo space. Another thing we like is that we don’t have conventional kayaks to transport on the FWC roof. The only negative on these is the cost, not cheap. Overall we love them and plan on using them on our FWC trips.
Wayne+Carol

I'm able to see the images. Watched a couple of YT videos - great concept and design. If I wasn't already set up with both hard shells and IK's I would definitely give the Oru's a closer look!

WjColdWater said:
My IPad shows 0 views and no replies weird. Any thoughts on that?
I’m thinking site software is not keeping up with Apple.

edit: I downloaded FireWeasel, and no photos

edit again: in Safari I now see the images ! I don’t have an answer, it must be magic.

I have a question for any Oru owner.

I need a lighter weight boat. I have a Sea Eagle with a removable skeg which is stable on the water but very heavy (but I do have a real nice cart!) I have also had an Advanced Elements which had a nice, hard keel. But after paddling the Sea Eagle in a cross wind when I could not get the skeg to slide in place I feel the need for something other than a round or flat bottom boat.

What does the bottom of an Oru look like? How does it track?

teledork said:
I have a question for any Oru owner.

I need a lighter weight boat. I have a Sea Eagle with a removable skeg which is stable on the water but very heavy (but I do have a real nice cart!) I have also had an Advanced Elements which had a nice, hard keel. But after paddling the Sea Eagle in a cross wind when I could not get the skeg to slide in place I feel the need for something other than a round or flat bottom boat.

What does the bottom of an Oru look like? How does it track?
Curious about this as well. AND, wondering which cart you have, and if you think it would do well on deeply rooted/rutted PNW portage trails....

Vic Harder said:
Curious about this as well. AND, wondering which cart you have, and if you think it would do well on deeply rooted/rutted PNW portage trails....
Wilderness Systems "Chariot De Kayak". No joke - it said that on the box. AKA Heavy Duty kayak Cart. No-flat or ballon wheels - I have no-flat and have done just fine in sand. I've had it on rocky and overgrown trails even with two boats on it (and two people guiding/steering) It can take the salt water. It is not inexpensive.

Getting my boat to the water is not a problem. What is a problem is lifting the rolled up boat into the camper or moving the 50 pound bundle at all for that matter.

My wife and I are sold on our Oru Kayaks! We are on the fourth year with our Inlets and they are still going strong. They both fit in the back seat of the truck and only weigh 20lbs each. We take them on every trip just incase we find a willing body of water (more often than not, we do) tracking is not great, but acceptable for such short yaks. Only go in the ocean when it is super calm. Mostly we find little creeks near the back of lakes. We also hit the rivers hard with them up in Humboldt. They have backpacks, so we hike them in to places where you could never drag a cart. In the right conditions, they are awesome! Heck, this winter we used them to kayak down the flooded streets as transportation!

Cpt Davenport said:
My wife and I are sold on our Oru Kayaks! We are on the fourth year with our Inlets and they are still going strong. They both fit in the back seat of the truck and only weigh 20lbs each. We take them on every trip just incase we find a willing body of water (more often than not, we do) tracking is not great, but acceptable for such short yaks. Only go in the ocean when it is super calm. Mostly we find little creeks near the back of lakes. We also hit the rivers hard with them up in Humboldt. They have backpacks, so we hike them in to places where you could never drag a cart. In the right conditions, they are awesome! Heck, this winter we used them to kayak down the flooded streets as transportation!
Thank you Cpt! 20 pounds sure sounds nice.

We have an ORU, Haven TT, have paddled it as a double and single. Paddles fine, tracks well and is pretty stable.
Love how it fits in the back seat area. We use our hardshells as often as possible, but for when we don't want to bring a trailer, the ORU is awesome.

teledork said:
Wilderness Systems "Chariot De Kayak". No joke - it said that on the box. AKA Heavy Duty kayak Cart. No-flat or ballon wheels - I have no-flat and have done just fine in sand. I've had it on rocky and overgrown trails even with two boats on it (and two people guiding/steering) It can take the salt water. It is not inexpensive.

Getting my boat to the water is not a problem. What is a problem is lifting the rolled up boat into the camper or moving the 50 pound bundle at all for that matter.
Thanks for the tip about a cart. I've been looking at the Seattle Sports cart. Any chance you have tried that one or can compare?

Seattle Sports All-Terrain Center Cart, Black : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

That Cabella’s one looks like a near clone. As for $300, keep in mind my link was to amazon CANADA… our money isn’t anywhere near as powerful as yours…

Back
Top Bottom