OT: Palomino thoughts

telebrewer

Advanced Member
I have a friend looking at a Palomino, new in SLC. About $9400.00 out the door. I own a FWC. I've never really seen a Palomino, or know the workings, or the weight. Have any of you looked into Palominos?

They're fine for most people, but the construction, finished quality, and weight don't come anywhere close to that of a FWC.

I have a friend looking at a Palomino, new in SLC. About $9400.00 out the door. I own a FWC. I've never really seen a Palomino, or know the workings, or the weight. Have any of you looked into Palominos?

I looked at one before I started looking at FWC/ATC.They are a lot heavier by 300 to 400#s and may not stand up to the off road use like the FWC/ATCs.They look nice inside, have a full height door and a crank up lifting system,but for a little more money you can get a much better camper and lighter one.Don't know if I would want to carry one on my Ford Ranger even though they are made to fit these small trucks.Just my opinion.
Frank

I had one prior to purchasing my Hawk shell. Mine was a 94 bought used in '96. I used it for two years before switching to my Hawk in '98,I still have the Hawk. The Palomino simply couldn't hand the stresses of off-roading, forest service roads mostly, with occasional romps on rough roads. The cab-over section was showing signs of flex-stress and it was heavy. It would not have withstood much more of the use-type I was giving it.

Other than that it was a nice unit and I sold it for what I paid for it. I had mine on a 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4 Z70.

I picked up a never-slept-in 2007 Bronco 800 for $5k and am just settling in with it. So far so good, but I probably wouldn't pay $10k for a new one.

They seem to be geared for a nightly plug-in type weekend traveler. If that's your guy, it's the perfect camper.

The height is generous, probably 6 foot+. I really appreciate the crank to raise the top. Mine weighs in at 1220 lbs wet, but is the "Dakota package."

just don't do like this guy

index.php

campertruck.jpg

I have owned a Palomino but never an FWC. I was not impressed with the Palomino.

IMAGE_00066.jpg

Mine was made for a long bed truck but the overall "fit" was not there.

IMAGE_00056.jpg

lc2.jpg

The way the pop up material is constructed is a PITA to store away when you are ready to go home. It has a flap that goes over the camper (to shed water) and you need to tuck it in when you close it. That is a little hard when you have some larger tires.

It depends how often he will use it, and what his intended uses are for it? I have just recently went to TC instead of hauler since my toys cannot fit in the Hauler.

I really like the having the camper now. A couple thing to think about with the Palomino. Its heavier but if he has a 3/4 ton he does not need to worry. The Roofs are not made for hauling a ton of crap and they are wood framed.(I heard the 2011 are Aluminum?)

Some advantages, Wife will like the comforts/bells/whistle better, IMO the inside cabinets, fans, and appliances are all the same no matter what brand. The wife and you will like to be able to hit the toilet when its 30 Deg out alot easier.

Cost is Half the price. You can buy 2 fully loaded Broncos 1251(or a Bronco and a badass Jeep) for the same price as a new FWC.

Its all what he will use it for.

Thats my .02.

BTW- I looked at both.

Liked the FWC, Hallmarks, etc. but went with the Palomino with all Bells and AC for $7500, Brand New. I have used it 18 days this year and I like it. I also bought a new KTM to go with it. Cant wait to use it again.

For what it's worth, I looked at new ones on a dealers lot and scratched them off my list. Construction, materials, design, layout were all unsatisfactory.

Back
Top Bottom