Other Truck Campers

Barko1

I've had my older FWC getting close to a year now and have put nearly 30,000 miles on it but I was wondering more about the construction and limits of some other truck campers, beside FWC and ATC. Are they stick construction and/or?????

I've had my older FWC getting close to a year now and have put nearly 30,000 miles on it but I was wondering more about the construction and limits of some other truck campers, beside FWC and ATC. Are they stick construction and/or?????

I have had my '98 Palomino pop up on my '00 Tacoma for over 6 years and my wife and I are very happy with the rig. It is a bit heavy for the Toyota so we added AirLift suspension to level out the back end. We have lots of storage space compared to FWC or ATC. We can carry a week's worth of firewood, axe, shovel, tools, tarp, poles, food, water and entertainment. We have been all over the Southwest including Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado. We travel 75 mph on freeways and maneuver steep, rocky backwoods trails. I get about 18 mph with camper on. The top cranks up and we have a 3 way reefer, forced air heater, separate battery for camper, two burner stove. We can sleep sideways in the overhead bed. We paid $3600 for the 4 year old camper, the FWCs being out of our price range. The lighter weight of the ATC and FWC would be welcome, however. The attached photos are from Valley of the Gods in SE Utah, a 2 hour drive from home in Cortez, Colorado.

Tacomike v o g 2-1.jpgv o g 2-2.jpg

My wife and I bought a 1999 Phoenix "Coyote." I thought it was aluminum frame like FWC and ATC, but it is not. Current ones are. Not sure when they made the transition to aluminum. The dry weight is 695 lb, and great for our 2003 Tundra. Wish it was aluminum. Otherwise, it's working well for us. If I had it to do over again I would have held out for at FWC or ATC, but the wife was "on a mission." Will it last as long as an aluminum frame unit? Probably not. The good news is that the wife loathes four wheeling, so we won't be putting it to the test. Offroad, yes. Serious offroad, no. I think we'll be fine with what we've got... once I finish my tweaks.

I have had my '98 Palomino pop up on my '00 Tacoma for over 6 years and my wife and I are very happy with the rig. It is a bit heavy for 600 for the 4 year old camper, the FWCs being out of our price range. The lighter weight of the ATC and FWC would be welcome, however. The attached photos are from Valley of the Gods in SE Utah, a 2 hour drive from home in Cortez, Colorado.

TacomikeView attachment 6879View attachment 6880

Good to hear from other brands I was in Valley of the Gods' about two weeks ago, ended up at Sand Island on the San Juan that night. Stayed along a the West Dolores a bit before that coming back from the infamous Eureka get together.
West Dolores
706225413_jGdko-M.jpg

I have a Hallmark Milner LX. This camper is designed with end grain Balsa and gel sealed composite construcion of the walls. The same construciton in racing sailboats. I looked extensively at FWC, ATC, Outfitter, and Hallmark before pulling the trigger on the purchase. The interior design, storage and finishes suited my needs better than the other choices by far. I have had no problems and the layout is perfect. The only change I made was installing a digital thermostat. One of the big factors choosing this camper was the overhead storge compartments as well as the underbed storage. I also like the one piece carbon fiber roof....no seams or screws to worry about. I can't imagine the need for any modifications. I love this camper!
biggrin.gif

Good camping,

Paul

Good to hear from other brands I was in Valley of the Gods' about two weeks ago, ended up at Sand Island on the San Juan that night. Stayed along a the West Dolores a bit before that coming back from the infamous Eureka get together.
West Dolores
706225413_jGdko-M.jpg

Barko, what is that unit on the front of your rig?

I'm not Barko...but I know that it's a Segway (sp?) his daughter rides in camp/with the dogs/etc.

Specifically it is a Segway X2, the newer generation off road model. I obviously have a front receiver hitch and that is a Harbor Freight rack that I took the front rail off for easier loading. I have ramps but usually I can just pick it up, about #120. She finds it to be a lifesaver, allows mobility that she lost. Everyday she takes the dogs out for runs through the desert, usually several miles cruising @ 10 mph, she loves it as much as the pooches. It is well traveled
554437777_4Ve34-M.jpg

Offroad segway. I can see that coming someday. Not too soon. Nice to know it'll be there when i need one. Whats the range?

Back
Top Bottom