Our Fall Yellowstone trip.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
Since the weather forecast was for nice weather for the beginning of October,we thought a nice trip to one of our favorite places needed to be taken.
This is the second time we have taken a spring and fall trip to Yellowstone in the same year.
This fall's trip was later than we usually go in hopes of seeing the elk herds.
Had a great ntime viewing the moose in Gros Ventre CG at Teton and all the other animals we got to see.
Ran into Captm,"Tim"and wife a WTW member.They are on a years trip of the west.As they have sold their house in Socal and moved north.
Didn't get to spend much time as they were on the move the next morning.
It's always nice to visit with members or just other "pop up" owners.

Thanks Frank

Fall in Yellowstone,1 Oct-14 Oct 2015

Enjoyed the report. FB reminded me it has been 4 years since Veronica and I have been to Yellowstone. It is so great when cold and you see steam everywhere.

10+Buffalo+have+the+right+of+way.jpg

Nice report and photos. I really like the Gros Ventre rainbow- very nice shot. Cool to see all the wildlife. Wish we were closer to Yellowstone, we would go more often.

Thanks for all the animal photos, Frank. I was there in July but missed seeing any moose. What campground did you see them in? What road did you see all the bighorns on?

Been to Yellowstone numerous times during the summer and each time I swear that I'll never go back due to the crowds. Think I need to give it another try in the fall months for photography. Thanks for posting.

Doug Stewart said:
Thanks for all the animal photos, Frank. I was there in July but missed seeing any moose. What campground did you see them in? What road did you see all the bighorns on?
The cg is Gros Ventre in Grand Teton NP. Easy to find.
It opens May and closes usually after the first week of Oct.
There are a lot of spaces and not crowded very seldom fills.
Has separate areas for the big rigs with generators,the east half and non gens the west half.
During the spring we have seen young moose but in the fall the place can be "loaded" with the mating bulls.
The Gros Ventre river is close to camp and they feed on the willows there.

The road is the "Old Gardiner Stage Road". Starts from in back of the Mammoth Hotel and finishes at the entrance gate at Gardiner
A 6 mile one way nice dirt road where you can go nice and slow to view the animals or pull off and stop.
Another dirt road is "The Blacktail" It's off the park road between Mammoth and Roosevelt area.
Nice drive but we didn't see any animals.
Hope you get to see some moose next time there.
What is it like in July? Seems like loads of people. We have only been there twice in the spring usually out by mid June,and about 9 times from beginning of Sept to mid Oct. Both times have been great for viewing animals,just different.
Hope I have helped.
Frank

park said:
Been to Yellowstone numerous times during the summer and each time I swear that I'll never go back due to the crowds. Think I need to give it another try in the fall months for photography. Thanks for posting.
Yes you should definitely go in the fall.
We have found that mid Sept to mid Oct seem to work.Not as many people and most of the campgrounds are still open.
Plus a lot of the animals are around.
Frank

You had fun Mr. Casa! Great critter photos and I expect we'll travel the "Old Gardiner Stage Road". Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
The cg is Gros Ventre in Grand Teton NP. Easy to find.
It opens May and closes usually after the first week of Oct.
There are a lot of spaces and not crowded very seldom fills.
Has separate areas for the big rigs with generators,the east half and non gens the west half.
During the spring we have seen young moose but in the fall the place can be "loaded" with the mating bulls.
The Gros Ventre river is close to camp and they feed on the willows there.

The road is the "Old Gardiner Stage Road". Starts from in back of the Mammoth Hotel and finishes at the entrance gate at Gardiner
A 6 mile one way nice dirt road where you can go nice and slow to view the animals or pull off and stop.
Another dirt road is "The Blacktail" It's off the park road between Mammoth and Roosevelt area.
Nice drive but we didn't see any animals.
Hope you get to see some moose next time there.
What is it like in July? Seems like loads of people. We have only been there twice in the spring usually out by mid June,and about 9 times from beginning of Sept to mid Oct. Both times have been great for viewing animals,just different.
Hope I have helped.
Frank
The Gardiner Stage Road was closed because of recent rains when we tried to drive it in July. I guess that happens a lot out of an abundance of caustion on part of the NPS. We were greated by a friendly herd of bighorns at the summit of Mt Washburn, however. Some curious (obviously habituated) females came within a few feet of us on the trail.

Thanks for the tip on Gros Ventre CG, Frank. It looks like a good place to see critters.

As for Yellowstone in July, I wouldn't recomend it but I had friends visiting from Europe who could schedule their trip at no other time. Like you, I prefer visiting the popular parks in the off-seasons.

Wow, was there any type of wildlife you didn't see? Too bad there wasn't more color on the trees, but there was enough other beauty to keep your camera clicking. Very nice Trip Report.

Thanks for the report! We live close by the park and winter, spring and fall are the best. I believe next year is the 100 year anniversary of the NPS, so expect the crowds to be even bigger. Winter in the Lamar is great, there used to be pretty good deals on motel rooms in Gardiner during that time.

GroovyDad said:
Wow, was there any type of wildlife you didn't see? Too bad there wasn't more color on the trees, but there was enough other beauty to keep your camera clicking. Very nice Trip Report.
Didn't see the usual bears this time Oh and no wolves.Just stories about them being at a place we were all looking.Timing/luck
is what it takes.
Frank

Thanks for your report, especially all the wildlife shots. Looks like you were really close to many of your subjects.

Back
Top Bottom