Our new Flatbed Hawk

Durango1

After a 1450 mile round trip to Jackson WY we're back home with our new FWC Hawk! Despite a mixup on the front opening window (my fault as much as anyones) it appears FWC has delivered on their "bomb proof" quality once again! (Which is why we went with FWC again.)

Here is the flat bed we ordered from Largo Tank in Farmington, NM. They did a superb job even thought they struggled with the design. And even better the complete bed with the four boxes was 190# less than the original bed we removed.

flatbed small.jpg

This was our first night "shakedown" just outside Jackson. All systems functioned!

shakedown night.jpg

And on the road less traveled back to Durango. (Flaming Gorge)

Flaming Gorge.jpg

And huge kudos to Denny up at Four Wheel Camper of Jackson Hole. He did a great install. (While putting up with an OCD owner "helping" him.)

Steve

PS We like the new Hawk even more than we thought we would. The amount of both practical and perceived space over our old slide in Hawk is HUGE. (Said in my best Donald Trump voice.) The under bed clothes storage works really well. (It is so nice to not be living out of duffel bags.)

So I compromised my principles and spent the night in a CAMPGROUND at Colorado National Monument. And of course She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed chose the best morning view with the most sloping campsite. Some serious engineering was called for...

20151023_094017 (1).jpg

BTW, I specified as low as possible flatbed so the Hawk's roof would snug down onto the Ram's cab. BUT one issue is when filling the gas tank the pump constantly clicks off due to the low fall of the filler tube. You'll note on the driver's side front tire one temporary solution is the homemade ramp that gets the truck's side up about 7" in the air. Crude but it helps. (And it makes a great height adjuster!)

Looks great!! That's the set up I keep coming back to including the Ram 2500. Any other mods to the Ram to carry the camper? Also interested in any options for stairs you may have looked into. Thanks for sharing your pics.

JMVT said:
Looks great!! That's the set up I keep coming back to including the Ram 2500. Any other mods to the Ram to carry the camper? Also interested in any options for stairs you may have looked into. Thanks for sharing your pics.
Good questions! All I have done is add air bags and the truck handles pretty good.

BUT we have noticed there is more sway when we walk around (and engage in "other activities") in the camper. Then I realized we are over a foot higher in the air than in a slide-in model. Plus you are walking out further thanks to the flat bed which increases sway potential.

So what do you folks think? Will a rear sway bar help prevent movement while parked too? It isn't horrible but IS a bit "disconcerting". And less movement while driving would also be nice. (IF I was starting from scratch with this configuration I would definitely go with a one ton truck.)

Steve

PS I'm still working on stair options. We had the Torklift steps permanently mounted on the back of our slide-in Hawk and loved them. But I don't think they will work for a flat bed Hawk. Ideas, anyone?

Why not mount some of those hand crank "jacks" they use on boat trailers so you can stabalize the camper? It looks like you'd have plenty of mounting points.

kmcintyre said:
Why not mount some of those hand crank "jacks" they use on boat trailers so you can stabalize the camper? It looks like you'd have plenty of mounting points.
Now that is thinking outside the box!

However, the movement isn't bad enough to add something else to my set up routine. Just wondering if a "rear sway bar" (which I think I need any way for stability under way) would be effective while parked too?

Anyone an expert on rear sway bars? :)

Having a slide-in Hawk on a half ton Tundra with rear sway bar & air bags makes me an expert in nothing. However, it might be enlightening for you to look at your camper from the outside while someone changes sides and bounces on the inside.

Is there vertical motion in the tire sidewall?
Is the motion in the suspension?
Is there motion front to back?
What you observe should guide corrective action.

I do know that the Hellwig rear sway bar was the best add on to my Tundra for stability.

Paul

Very sweet rig! I see a flatbed in my distant future too. Post some interior shots when you get a chance.

I'll try. Me and photos on here struggle.

I do have some fairly ambitious interior mods in mind. One for sure will be a big, deep drawer on full-extension slides under the passenger side dinette bench. But that won't happen till after Thailand. (We leave Thursday morning.)

JMVT said:
Also interested in any options for stairs you may have looked into. Thanks for sharing your pics.
I'm considering these 18" wide stairs if collapsed they will fit into my 24" underbed box. And if I can figure out an easy way to attach and take them off for travel. Sioux loves them but not sure if the hassle will be worth it. Or I may just cannibalize a couple of aluminum step ladders from Home Depot and make steps that hook on to the rub rail.

PaulT said:
Having a slide-in Hawk on a half ton Tundra with rear sway bar & air bags makes me an expert in nothing. However, it might be enlightening for you to look at your camper from the outside while someone changes sides and bounces on the inside.

Is there vertical motion in the tire sidewall?
Is the motion in the suspension?
Is there motion front to back?
What you observe should guide corrective action.

I do know that the Hellwig rear sway bar was the best add on to my Tundra for stability.

Paul
I did something similar and found out that my tire sidewalls were where a lot of my motion came from. But it took a 225 lb friend to make my dodge move around enough for me to clearly see it.

How does the Hellwig sway bar handle off road?

I thought the scissor stairs came with a bracket that the stairs attach to. I've seen pictures on this site or Expedition Portal where they take the stairs off to travel. You have a perfect place for the bracket on the side of the flat bed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Kolockum said:
I did something similar and found out that my tire sidewalls were where a lot of my motion came from. But it took a 225 lb friend to make my dodge move around enough for me to clearly see it.

How does the Hellwig sway bar handle off road?
For my use, it handled well on Titus Canyon, road to Chloride, other DVNP back roads, and the "off paved roads" in Oregon. Mind you, I'm no rock crawler & have no idea how my truck with or without camper would do there. Those days left with my '73 CJ-5 many years ago.

Paul

longhorn1 said:
Check with Torklift:

Torklift Glow Scissor Steps
I had those on my previous Hawk and loved them. But with the door in back I could leave them installed permanently.

Now with the side entry I'll have to take them off. So IF we go the scissor step route I'll probably do these 18" wide Brophy steps which are smaller and lighter.

But first I'm gonna see if the missus can put up with some nice aluminum steps on a ladder. :)

Steve, that is one sweet rig, very much what I would like for my next truck/camper. Do you have inside photos to share?

Like Paul, I have the tundra/hawk with hellwig sway bar and air bags. I'm glad I have the sway bar to dampen side to side movement. I assume it helps while at rest also.

Back
Top Bottom