Outside Storm Flaps

Rob in MT

I like what I see and read about the ATC camper, but the storm flaps over the windows on the otuside concerns me, as they seem difficult to close, although I haven't read many complaints. Any thoughts? Can you leave them rolled up when you close the top? If so, then I imagine the clear cover on the inside would be adequate for most weather. Thanks for your help.

I like what I see and read about the ATC camper, but the storm flaps over the windows on the otuside concerns me, as they seem difficult to close, although I haven't read many complaints. Any thoughts? Can you leave them rolled up when you close the top? If so, then I imagine the clear cover on the inside would be adequate for most weather. Thanks for your help.

Hey Rob,

I have an ATC Bobcat and I like having the external storm flaps. you can leave them rolled up if you like with the top down. I usually roll them up and down when I pop or lower the top....I have not problem getting to them. Using some dowels and small pieces of velcro you can even use them as small window awning to keep the sun out.

Cort

Hey Rob,

I have an ATC Bobcat and I like having the external storm flaps. you can leave them rolled up if you like with the top down. I usually roll them up and down when I pop or lower the top....I have not problem getting to them. Using some dowels and small pieces of velcro you can even use them as small window awning to keep the sun out.

Cort

I agree with Cort. We have the outside flaps and like the option of closing these when it is really storming.

Ditto on the storm flaps.I made some "braces" that can be used to keep the flaps open as awnings.They work great at keeping the sun out and the rain from getting in if you open the windows from the inside and its raining outside.Hope this picture helps to explain the "flap holder uppers".Real technical term.I think a few other people use them also. Mine are made from 1/2 " pvc pipe.They don't get in the way when the top is lowered.Next time I raise the top i'll get some better pictures if anyone is interested.Sorry the photo is a bit out of focus .

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN3275.jpg
    DSCN3275.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 239
Our out side storm flaps can now be removed and put back on any time or not at all if you never need them. The first proto type is in our shop now. It looks good and still works very good when needed.
Marty

I'll add one more 'like" to the outside storm flaps. I generally leave them rolled up except for really stormy weather. One advantage of them is they make a nice awning over the windows. I made a couple simple fold-up frames for the flaps and when up in "awning" mode, they keep the opening in the shade, or keep rain off allowing the window to be open in a rain storm.

If so, then I imagine the clear cover on the inside would be adequate for most weather. Thanks for your help.

Rob - This might not need saying, but in addition to the external storm flap, screen and clear plastic window, there is also a solid panel (similar to the external storm flap) that can be velcroed into place on the inside. It's a good system.

I also have a Bobcat and just leave the rear two panels rolled up. No problem doing so and I have asked ATC about this. They say its just fine.

But, if those of you who have made the plastic attachments that allow you to use the flaps as sun shades give a detailed description of what the are and how to make them it would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Darryl

You can do the awning using dowels as props with velcro on each end. I went a little overboard and made hinged frames of wood lath. When deployed, the frames look like the figure 4. They hold the flaps well even in windy situations as they attach to the side of the camper and to the flap with wide velcro. I put a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish on the wood to seal it and make the adhesive velcro stick better. I also stapled the velcro to the lath. (I said overboard!) The wood pieces are hinged together. I'll try to draw or photograph these things if you are interested. I used 4 pieces of wood per frame. 2 long pieces for the flap and side of the camper, 1 shorter piece for the prop, and one shorter piece for the end of the prop to velcro onto the side piece to hold it open. Three hinges articulate the pieces and let it all fold up when not in use.

Crude drawing, but lengths you can get by measuring the flap and camper velcro. The prop can be whatever length you like as long as the assembly will fold up when not in use.
Flapholder.jpg

I have an ATC Panther with the outside storm flaps and like them as well. The only problem I have had with them is that one side will not stay up as the velcro hook side that holds the rolled flap has lost its holding ability for some reason. I plan on replacing the tabs this winter, not a big deal. I like the ability to have the flaps propped open as well in the rain. I also find on a windy day it helps keeps the blowing sand out of the camper when the inside window flaps are open. IF ATC is making them removable this seems like the best of both worlds.
Dsrtrat

Here is what I did.Put velcro on ends of wooden closet dowels to hold them in place.One end is cut about 45 degrees ,Have had no problems

Attachments

• 62115.jpg
    62115.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 222
Our out side storm flaps can now be removed and put back on any time or not at all if you never need them. The first proto type is in our shop now. It looks good and still works very good when needed.
Marty

Very cool Marty. As dsrtrat says: The best of both worlds!

Darryl, my flaps are held open by strips of plywood, painted black, with velcro stapled to the ends--super simple.

_IGP0525.JPG

This one flap is not for sun or rain but to keep bright moonshine out of my eyes.

i was in oregon and it was raining super hard. we had the flaps open at first, but it rained so hard we were getting wet inside, i closed the flaps and no more problems. if we didnt have them or had internal ones, we would have been in trouble. it can rain very hard in oregon, especially in the winter, and i wouldnt have the flaps any other way, even though they take an extra minute (litterally) to roll up

Back
Top Bottom