Outside Stove

Flyfisher

Hi Folks - Thinking of putting an outside stove on my FWC. Not sure if this realistic or if it is just easier to buy another stove and deal with the extra storage space needed. Ideal would be to use inside stove and propane and mount it to outside of camper. Not sure if it is possible to make that a quick and easy process. Searched the archives without much luck - maybe that should tell me something. What do you folks do?
Thanks,
Gregg

I've long wanted an easy out door kitchen on my fwc but haven't found a great or simple solution. I would be very interested to hear what others have come up with. I've seen lots of bbq's for tail gating that slide into your receiver hitch but as I'm almost always towing that's not an option for me. Currently I use cabelas deluxe camp kitchen and a portable cook stove when I want to cook out side. I know drj had a system that had a table and grill system on a toy hauler he used to have, but not sure if that could be used on a fwc. ImageUploadedByWander The West1462654256.016694.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1462654293.621961.jpg

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Those are from the Thule RV set. They were pretty great setup. Still sorry that I sold all of the tables with my last trailer.

They don't make them anymore and they are hard to find.

What I would love to see is if someone can develop a true outdoor kitchen as part of our campers.

I designed one and gave thought to ordering a shell and building out as such. I think it's a great design as I just don't see us cooking inside.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462655036.072949.jpg

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462655049.711118.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

The propane tanks are secured with Velcro straps which make it super quick and easy to move them as needed.

You could do a hinged fold down table with stove on the other side of the door accessed from the rear maybe? It would pivot out and fold down.

How about something that would mount to the underside of the portion of the camper that extends out wider than the bed rails?

gallery_5772_2_1019807.jpg

I thought you might get a kick out of my roadside bacon photo, from Jasper, Alberta this winter.

I'm not the classiest guy... but I never go hungry :)
It's funny how many friends you make, when you are cooking bacon in public :)

In all seriousness though, I love having the Coleman stove. I only the camper stove for boiling water. I live in bear country.

As you can see I use the 10lb bottle from the camper. I make due wherever I have to.
Often we will use a cookhouse at a campground in the winter or during bad weather. We will light a fire and do the cooking on the Coleman. We use the heck out of that stove and it only costs pennies to use.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Of course others may want to build some sort of outdoor kitchen, but I like the freedom to cook wherever I see fit.

I have a 22" Partner Steel stove that I use inside and out on my Eagle shell with 1 lb. cylinders. I use it on a fold down table on the rear swing away and inside on the countertop when I must. It's nice having the flexibility outside to move where ever I want with the stove and kitchen, be it a rock or a table. Ron

I saw someone had a build here where the counter top was removable. Legs were under the top and could easily swing out when using standalone outside. Neat idea.

I plumbed in a propane port that we can connect either our Magma bbq or our Camp Chef Sport Stove to. Can see it *just* behind the bbq below. There is a valve inside the cabinet just inside the door that turns this port off. I 'T'd-in before the regulator for the camper to get true bottle pressure at the port.

For the bbq I poked a short piece of boat life-rail up thru the bumper as it's mount is designed to work with those. The spare tire carrier didn't exist at the time of doing that or I'd have attached to it instead.

i-p5xzWs6-L.jpg

My wife found that Magma makes a teflon coated griddle to fit this bbq that is smooth on one side and ribbed on the other. I expect that we (well she as she likes to cook) could cook any of our normal camp fare on the bbq. I only pack the Sport Stove for group events.
These Magma's are self-cleaning, turn it on full blast for 5-10 mins with the lid closed and it incinerates anything stuck to the grill.

fireball said:
I designed one and gave thought to ordering a shell and building out as such. I think it's a great design as I just don't see us cooking inside.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1462655036.072949.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1462655049.711118.jpg

This is geniusness! The whole indoor kitchen could slide outdoors and your could lay a mattress pad down for an extra sleeping spot inside.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

You get more use from your ironing board than I ever got from mine....lol Maybe have to try that :)

I am a minimalist sort of guy. I have a small single burner Coleman that fits nicely under the sink (storage). Like Bill D., when I cook meat, etc. I do it outside. Non-stinky stuff I cook inside. I cannot imagine going outside to boil water for coffee in the morning (of course I camp pretty far north where it is COLD in the morning. LOL.
Chris

We have a shell camper and do all our cooking outside. We have a roll-up table and an action packer that makes our kitchen. We hook up the partner stove to the propane tank outside. The hose stays connected to the tank and rolled up in the propane cabinet most of the time. Sometimes we use a 1 lb bottle if we want to set up on a picnic table or away from the camper. We have a screen house that attaches to the camper iin case of bad weather or bugs.

100_1851.JPG

Takesiteasy, I have pretty much your same setup... be interested in what screenhouse setup you use? We have an awning but screened in would be nice. Do you just carry a big standalone one?

Based on a suggestion here we bought a Clam Quickset Traveler with the additional wind/rain panels. It is 6' x 6' and we plan to use it for a shower enclosure as well. We've it up twice and it gets easier every time.

Back
Top Bottom