Outside table

bimmeryota

Advanced Member
IMG_3094.JPGIMG_3098.JPG
I adapted a JKU tailgate table to have an outside table. I posted more of a description on the Facebook project group but this is how it turned out!

IMG_3091.JPGthis is the table I bought.
I thought it was all aluminum but turns out it’s an alloy but it’s still fairly light since it has a bunch of holes in it.

IMG_3095.JPG
Here is the bracket that I made. It is aluminum and an L bracket being supported underneath the overhang of the side of the camper.
The good part of this is that I did not have to drill any holes in the aluminum siding or the window frame, I just used a screw that was already there.
I used this instead of the one that it came with so that while the table is down it does not interfere with the flip out windows.

ok, i like this.
like doghouse bro, i would appreciate a few more photos. the rh brkt seems a bit lite with just tieing into a screw into the side of the camper.
i am getting a camper shell soon, and my thinking is that i would like to do a lot of cooking outside.
am just worried about things like this hanging out there, and banging around, and wearing things out over time. i like tieing in to the jack brkt., but the other one is a long ways away :)

Nice job bimmeryota.
a comment to goinoregon:

I use the Tailgator Tire table, available on Amazon for $139.95. Originally I was going to do something similar to bimmeryota, but then when attending the Overland Expo in AZ a few years ago, I found the Tailgator Tire table and have been very happy with it. Yes the hassle is you have to store it somewhere, but I strap it against the back wall in my cab where the 2/3 seat used to be. It is very quick to set up, but more importantly, even easier to move from one side of the truck to the other. While camping in the Big Bend area, I always faced the truck south, which gave me the ability to drop the front of the camper roof to tilt my solar panels, ( got a 2 amp gain with my 200 watts of solar at mid day). Back to the table, I would cook on the western side in the evening to get sunset, and then after dinner it took less than a minute to move the table to the east side. In the morning I would cook breakfast on the "sunny side".

The ability to move the table quickly also came in to play on windy days, I would move the table to the leeward side of the truck. I think all of us would agree, that there is no perfect solution, everything is a compromise with gear.

IMG_3189.JPG
Here is a picture from underneath for the forward bracket. I used an L bracket lag screwed in 2 spots on the wood that is meant to compress it to the side of the camper and take up some of the downward load. The screw I used from the window holds very little of the load because I’ve compressed the L bracket against the side. The only downward force in a single spot is where the table hinges, the same as it would have been in using the original full bracket. I will monitor it as we go but I don’t anticipate it seeing much load in its stowed position.

IMG_3190.JPG
This is a rubber bumper that is supposed to go on the original bracket that I attached to the table instead that touches the glass. I my determine this is not enough padding and change it but this way there’s not a super hard surface that can come in contact with the glass.

larryqp said:
Nice job bimmeryota.
a comment to goinoregon:

I use the Tailgator Tire table, available on Amazon for $139.95. Originally I was going to do something similar to bimmeryota, but then when attending the Overland Expo in AZ a few years ago, I found the Tailgator Tire table and have been very happy with it. Yes the hassle is you have to store it somewhere, but I strap it against the back wall in my cab where the 2/3 seat used to be. It is very quick to set up, but more importantly, even easier to move from one side of the truck to the other. While camping in the Big Bend area, I always faced the truck south, which gave me the ability to drop the front of the camper roof to tilt my solar panels, ( got a 2 amp gain with my 200 watts of solar at mid day). Back to the table, I would cook on the western side in the evening to get sunset, and then after dinner it took less than a minute to move the table to the east side. In the morning I would cook breakfast on the "sunny side".

The ability to move the table quickly also came in to play on windy days, I would move the table to the leeward side of the truck. I think all of us would agree, that there is no perfect solution, everything is a compromise with gear.
Great description of how your table choice was made based On your needs. I too considered the tire table and as you mentioned the downside of having to store yet another thing was something I tried to avoid. I’ve got a small camper and a small truck with a growing family and somethings gotta give haha. With that said I like the height of it for sitting next to so I could see myself having one but I think I would go with an aluminum one to save some weight.

larryqp said:
Nice job bimmeryota.
a comment to goinoregon:

have you thought about stowing the table in the pickup box, between camper and the front of the pickup box? i read a post somewhere, where the fellow made a narrow box that fit in that spot, and he dropped in various things, with a hinged top with lock.

goinoregon said:
have you thought about stowing the table in the pickup box, between camper and the front of the pickup box? i read a post somewhere, where the fellow made a narrow box that fit in that spot, and he dropped in various things, with a hinged top with lock.
When I had the camper in my other truck there was space there but in my T100 the front of the bed is not flat and tapers in from the top so the bumpers actually barely keep the camper from touching the top of the front of the bed. I'm glad I don't have much of a gap from an aesthetics standpoint, but I wish I could have some wasted space to use up. It is too close to even install the AT Overland rotopax mounts that bolt to the front jack mounts and fit between the camper and the cab of the truck.

Back
Top Bottom