Outside window flap - anyone cut these off?!?!

shear

So I have a 2005 Eagle and rolling up the flaps every day is a huge pain. I was curious if there's any real purpose to them? I know the newer models don't have them so I was curious what the difference is and if I'd be screwing myself by removing them?

You can leave them rolled up when you lower the top. I did have to lower mine when I was in a hard rain.

Yep, same as Craig, leave them rolled up till you need them. The top goes down nicely with them rolled.

The new version(s) have them lose and you attach them when you need them. I've never put them on and I've been in some big wind/rain storms but we keep them stored in the camper "just in case".

I use ours as a sun/rain awning.When it's raining and you want some air in the camper it's nice to be able to open the inside flaps
and with the outside ones in awning mode it keeps the rain out but lets the air in.Plus the sun shade is nice also.

I have been in rainy conditions where the wind was blowing the rain hard against the liner and the flaps down kept the rain from seeping through the stitching.

Yes keep them rolled up ,the top lowers and the lined isn't effected buy them.
Frank

I have put the ones on our Ocelot (they are the detachable type) in some heavy sideways rain as it was leaking through the stitching. I have since used Aqua Seal to seal all the seams. That was only a couple of times, so not used very much.

Well, not really cut them off...

When I ordered my ATC Bobcat shell in late 2010, I really, really, disliked the black velcro showing on the side of the soft top material when the flaps were rolled up.

So, I asked Marty & Jeff if they could leave off outside rain flaps and the black velcro, and they said they could do that.

I was aware of the "special" bottom corners that FWC created to keep the rain out when the flaps were rolled up, and that ATC didn't do that process, however, I thought I'd take a chance on not getting rain into the camper with the outside flaps absent.

So, far I've gone through many trips where it rained, the top was up, and no water inside the camper.

A year or two later, I noticed that ATC was offering outside flaps that were removal-able, however, still had the black velcro.

img_172957_1_a31abef11bd86240d50ce41f773389b2.jpg

Yes they're a bit of a pain. And rolling them up can be noisy and draw attention - rrrrip ! - which I dislike, but have left ours on to reduce possible water intrusion.

Full awning mod for ventilation is a good idea I haven't tried yet. For night I usually roll the rear flaps ~1/3rd of the way up and on an angle (for run off). Then I can still have controlled air flow inside with the overhead vents open and maintain the ability to look outside. The fronts I leave firmly down if at all concerned about rain because 1) I really don't want to chance any water in the bedding area and 2) because I hate getting up in the night to close them !

^ Nice ! thanks Tom. What do you use as a foot foot the poles and how does it perch on the camper rim ?

In 2011 Stan posted a video of Tom Hanagan talking about the old-style versus new-style windows. It suggests the flap on the older models was needed to avoid leaks....

Also- As several others have noted, I too have had the problem of wind-blown rain soaking through the lower window-stitching on my 01 Hawk. It has only happened once so far and only on the windward side of the camper in a driving rain (with the exterior flaps left up). But that was enough to tell me I wouldn't want to just cut them off.

Turbocity tom said:
I use simple PVC pipe frames to make them into shade awnings- easy set up, work well

Thanks Tom
That is a great idea, I also would like to know how they are supported at the bottom location.
Thank you

Rock

i used 1/2 inch threaded pvc thru the lower pocket ( replaced the wood slat) the threaded section sticks out an inch or so each side.

those are connected to a couple of 90 deg threaded pvc fittings that i drilled a hole thru for the hold down cord. 1/2 inch pcv pipe is threaded into those 90's with threaded Tee's on the bottom of each pipe. there is a layer of foam glued to the area of the Tee that contacts the camper vinyl at the lower edge. it just rests on the ledge. i installed 3 small "footman loops" on each side on the camper near the top. 1/8 inch nylon cord that is threaded thru the upper 90's has a loop tied in the lower part- small "bungee" cords loop thru the cord and secure the flaps to the footman loops. this gives allows the flap to move slightly.

I store all of the PVC parts in a small bag. the pvc pipe stays in the flap- takes about 10 minutes to set up (all the parts are identified so they go back in the same place each time.

i have been thru several severe thunder storms with these and the have works great.

i can post some closer pictures of the set up if you would like.

Thanks Tom

I have been using PVC tubing to hold the flaps also since the camper was new,one of the first mods.
Mine are made so they fold up with the liner and you don't have to take anything apart and find a place
to store them.
I use a short strip of Velcro to hold the bottom to the liner Velcro.

Also if you make the flap braces and want to keep them on with the top down the support shouldn't be longer then 10"
so it will fold into the liner without any problem.You will need to do some trial/error on this.

My first braces I didn't use the threaded "Ells" but have gone to them as they don't come apart.

This set up makes a great improvement on the use of the flaps,IMO.
Frank

^, ^^ Excellent. Thank you Tom and Frank.

This awning idea is reason enough to leave the flaps on imo.

And Tom, good looking set up. Nice to see a reg cab short box out there ...

klahanie said:
^, ^^ Excellent. Thank you Tom and Frank.

This awning idea is reason enough to leave the flaps on imo.

Good decision ,once you remove them you might want them back.
Just roll them up or do the awning style.
Here is my awning.I have them on all 4 windows.I usually can reach them from the ground to raise or lower them or just use the step stool.
DSCN6740.jpg

I carry a shovel on the back of the camper. In an emergency thats what I use to lower the flaps. On my way to GBNP I camped in an intense thunderstorm.Only time in my life I really thought the camper might get hit by lightning. It was worth the risk go outside and lower the flaps, otherwise things would have been pretty wet inside. Only time I thought about lowering top. Would it be safer to have the metal roof closer?

We had a lightning expert pop up on WTW a while back. I'd be curious about his opinion on leaving the top popped or lowering it.

Turbocity tom said:
i used 1/2 inch threaded pvc thru the lower pocket ( replaced the wood slat) the threaded section sticks out an inch or so each side.

those are connected to a couple of 90 deg threaded pvc fittings that i drilled a hole thru for the hold down cord. 1/2 inch pcv pipe is threaded into those 90's with threaded Tee's on the bottom of each pipe. there is a layer of foam glued to the area of the Tee that contacts the camper vinyl at the lower edge. it just rests on the ledge. i installed 3 small "footman loops" on each side on the camper near the top. 1/8 inch nylon cord that is threaded thru the upper 90's has a loop tied in the lower part- small "bungee" cords loop thru the cord and secure the flaps to the footman loops. this gives allows the flap to move slightly.

I store all of the PVC parts in a small bag. the pvc pipe stays in the flap- takes about 10 minutes to set up (all the parts are identified so they go back in the same place each time.

i have been thru several severe thunder storms with these and the have works great.

i can post some closer pictures of the set up if you would like.

Thanks Tom
That's perfect, I have a pretty good idea and now we have storm flaps and shade awnings. Plus the best location for storing would be in place.. I am not sure ATC has a opening sewn in at the bottom, I don't remember seeing one. I still think it would be worth the effort to sew in a few loops for this. Also remember if you are using pvc glue, both pieces get a dab for better adhesion.

Rock.

Rockcod said:
That's perfect, I have a pretty good idea and now we have storm flaps and shade awnings. Plus the best location for storing would be in place.. I am not sure ATC has a opening sewn in at the bottom, I don't remember seeing one. I still think it would be worth the effort to sew in a few loops for this. Also remember if you are using pvc glue, both pieces get a dab for better adhesion.

Rock.
all the parts screw together- no glue. i elected to remove them and store in the propane locker when traveling , as then you can use a longer support to prop the flap out further. the max length is about 1/2 the window width if you leave them installed (because of the fold)

I also didn't want anything additional laying on the vinyl when it is folded- my camper is 21 years old and has the original vinyl- if you take care of it, they will last for ever.

Thanks Tom

Back
Top Bottom