Oven for Camper

Jack

Besides poking along back roads and camping where few others do, we like to eat. We like to eat well. We found this backpackers oven to work very well for pizza, brownies, corn bread: whatever food needs an oven. It is very efficient and easy to use. The bottom of the oven doubles as a 10" skillet with cover. (Be sure to get the separate handle - this oven is made for backpackers, so the handle is not standard equipment.) A large wok (with handle) a strainer, and a sauce pot with cover, round out our cooking pots (see 2nd picture - the oven skillet and cover store inside the wok). They run about $60. There is an ultra light model that is about $10 cheaper, but I think this is the better oven.

http://www.basegear.com/backpackers-pantry-outback-oven.html

Attachments

• FWC Oven.jpg
    FWC Oven.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 711
  • 4WC Kitchen storage 2.jpg
    4WC Kitchen storage 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 700
I like to eat, but I don't like to cook.

I sure can't see myself cooking in the oven while I'm camping.

A hot dog on the fire is OK by me (laughs).

A few of the old Keystone Models back in the days actually had ovens built into the camper !

Attachments

• oven 1.JPG
    oven 1.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 629
  • oven 2.JPG
    oven 2.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 628
Looks nice. I think I could build a oven out of scrap metal. Might be a good project :D

I'm with Stan on this one. Even when we had a big cruising boat I never could figure out why we needed an oven at sea. Baking bread is always fun in an 8 foot swell. If it cant be fried, boiled, grilled or barbecued we just dont eat it while camping. I haven missed any meals yet so I guess its working.

there is a lot of stuff you can bake....simple stuff that requires no attention.
everyone has a different opinion.
all the options sure make for broad acceptance.

Im a owner of a 85ish keystone that came with oven stove combo.

when I first got the camper I thought I would get rid off the comb when I remodel.

now its fishing season and cold outside I find myself using the oven in the camper to warm up my fried chicken, hogie sandwitch , and what ever.

that badboy is stayin

Bob

While I don't normally miss having an oven, I think that would change if I was on an extended trip. Never hurts to have more variety.

Dimensions

It's a 10" saucepan and vertical height is about 5". The cloth jacket makes it about 15" in diameter and 8" or 9" tall.

Oven alternative - maybe

We own an Optimus Mini Oven that we bought back in the 70s. It works on any propane burner. It is sort of like a mini bundt pan with a steel base. The heat goes up through the hole in the middle and is deflected by the lid. It has worked great for the last 30+ years. I would strongly recommend it but don't believe it is available in the US anymore. You might be able to find one on ebay or Craig'sList. Here is a picture from a website in the UK, but you better sit down before you look at the price: http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Optimus/minioven.htm

Bob in LA

I know the topic is about an oven for inside the camper but do any of you use a cast iron dutch oven? I love mine and there are so many things you can do with them. Maybe this should be a new topic and share recipes.

Pam has been asking me for one since we started camping but they are so freak'n heavy and neither of us have ever used one. I realize it isnt brain surgery (no offence Brian) but I suppose recipes would help.

Ok guys and gals,think I found the perfect little oven for camping, its designed for the coleman stove but I think it will work just fine ontop of the stove in the camper, it folds nice and compact when not in use and takes about a 10 inch pan and has adjustable oven rack and temp gauge in door.
Its made by coleman and its model 5010 camp oven, picked it up in the city for about $30.00 at sporting good store. posted some pics , last pic is view of bottom where it would sit on burner

Attachments

• camp oven 001.JPG
    camp oven 001.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 299
  • camp oven 002.JPG
    camp oven 002.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 308
  • camp oven 003.JPG
    camp oven 003.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 318
  • camp oven 004.JPG
    camp oven 004.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 306
  • camp oven 006.JPG
    camp oven 006.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 320
BenG,

That looks great. We need a review and some pics of food!

I just wonder how controllable the temperature is. I'm very bad at hovering over things while I cook.

Pretty Nifty Gadget...

...Sure coulda used that instead of jockeying creme brule'e dishes on hot rocks around the campfire on New Years Eve. :rolleyes:

Then again, maybe I had more fun playing in the fire and burning my fingers!:eek:

I have used one of those and works pretty well, a little difficult to control heat. The problem I see is on my new Hawk the stove knobs are on top (don't know about older models) and it may not fit without possibly burning the knobs.

Back
Top Bottom