Over cab bed storage

I think FWC demonstrated storing the little table that came with my camper up there by sliding the bed out. I sometimes slide it out some and put a few items up there.

I sometimes leave the bed out. It just makes it a little harder to pop the roof up.

I understand that the bed keeps the canvas up (higher than the hard side of the camper) allowing the water to drain out of the camper. If the bed is not there the canvas will be lower than the side of the camper and will drain into the camper. I have had this problem after taking down my camper in heavy rain storms. That said my canvas is just about warn out and I do not need to open the windows to get good cross ventilation.

Kolockum said:
I sometimes leave the bed out. It just makes it a little harder to pop the roof up.

I understand that the bed keeps the canvas up (higher than the hard side of the camper) allowing the water to drain out of the camper. If the bed is not there the canvas will be lower than the side of the camper and will drain into the camper. I have had this problem after taking down my camper in heavy rain storms. That said my canvas is just about warn out and I do not need to open the windows to get good cross ventilation.
I'm terribly sorry but you post has left me confused. How is water getting into camper to need to be drained out?

100acrehuphalump said:
Can the slide out bed in the Hawk be kept in the extended position when the top is down and traveling, or would it interfere with ceiling stuff? I'm wondering if it would be a good place to store my rolled out sleeping bag or pillows lengthwise east to west. Thanks Dan
I've travelled like that before and had no problems so far, even through rain and snow on my way across Colorado and just rain back and forth to the Smokies. I do have to slide the bed in to lift the front of the roof, though.

We're just the opposite. I removed the bed extender, and we don't carry those extra two cushions either. We still have a twin sized mattress up there, which we keep made up with a mattress topper (made the difference, or I would have replaced the hard OEM foam), sheets and a down comforter. It all fits when we drop the top. Pillows would never fit up there, so they go behind the couch.

Side note: that slide out extended is just a piece of 1/2" ply with a 1x3 piece of oak on the front edge. What I thought was odd is that it creates a 1/2" tall bump that can be felt through the mattress.

Off topic some but I added a piece of carpet pad to reduce that bump, which was not enough. I found some other material, which I put on the carpet pad and it is much better now. And I am sure many others have done similar things

Steve

I cut a piece of Marine Hyper vent to fit with the slide pulled out. It is 1/2" thick and things are level. This allows good air circulation and prevents condensation under the bed pad. When I close the slide, I have to lift the marine hyper vent and push the slide back.

I like the idea of storing some things in the slide out area. I don't use the extension (extra) cushions. I do use this space for my blankets/sleeping bags....the soft items that will compress some. Kolockum, forgive me, but your post confuses me...what are you saying about water and leakage?

Thank you.

NorCalHawk said:
I like the idea of storing some things in the slide out area. I don't use the extension (extra) cushions. I do use this space for my blankets/sleeping bags....the soft items that will compress some. Kolockum, forgive me, but your post confuses me...what are you saying about water and leakage?

Thank you.
What he said..

100acrehuphalump said:
I'm terribly sorry but you post has left me confused. How is water getting into camper to need to be drained out?
[SIZE=10.5pt]It only happens when I put the canvas down while the canvas is wet (as in a night of Pacific Northwest rain). The water on the canvas and in the Velcro drains into my camper through the Velcro around the window unless I prop the canvas up to allow water to drain outside of the camper. Also keep in mind my canvas is just about warn out and I have not heard of this problem from newer camper owners[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hope this helps.[/SIZE]

I don't think that can happen with the new campers. They don't have canvass they have PVC. It is a lot like the PVC covers for pontoon boats.

Back
Top Bottom