Over Cab Storage For Privacy Tent

I'm thinking that I may want to lift the camper then. The truck cab roof is rounded, so there is lots of clearance on the sides. And if I imagine how the torque would twist the camper/bed then with 1" clearance in the middle it will sort of "rotate" around that point and get closer at the sides.... and there is lotsa room there. Make sense?

I have a hard side camper at present and they recommend 3" clearance between the cab and camper. I'm rebuilding a 79 Grandby now and plan to keep about the same clearance. I'm sure those that do a lot of off roading have reason to keep the camper roof as low as possible, and the absolute minimum is what they want.

just for giggles...behind the front seat of our Tundra access cab [see above...all rear seats removed] I store my Zamp 80 w solar panel in the very nice semi-hard shell Zamp storage bag...60 " should fit across the width behind you front seat..my Highlift jack easily fits across the cab inside.

Raising center of gravity is only part of the issues created by raising the camper in the bed; it also makes the overall height more and reduces where you can go off road...slickrock over hang on MuleyTwist near Waterpocket Fold in Sept and we cleared an overhanging rock wall by 1-2", going very slowly in the stream bed so as not to rock the camper into the overhang...then the Juniper canopy and oak limbs etc etc overhead...having a small 'profile' really does help off road; sides,top, rear and front.

And you mentioned the frontal area increase and how it will affect the mileage/RPMs/speed...also a very real outcome to raising the camper..independent of side wind loading...

In the end we bought "POPUP" campers to lower the CG and height of the load in the truck...no need to defeat that; work within the design!

But hey, I could be wrong! ;)

Phil

hebegebe said:
3/4" clearance between cab roof and my hanging basket on slightly less than rock crawling trails it has never touched even with 30# of firewood up there. It's a great place if you can make things secure

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Could you possible post a pic of your hanging basket? That sounds like a good setup. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom