Overland Expo East, here I come! Woot!

hoyden

Lady Bug
Realized today that I have a bunch of vacation time to use (IBM is "use it or lose it" with all vacation time) so I looked at the calendar and maps and said "where could I go?" I considered heading West to my beloved Canyonlands or Valley of the Gods, but that's a loooooong drive.

Then I realized that the Expo East is coming up - and it's only about an 11 hour drive! That's one long day, or two relaxed days drive.

So I emailed Cyan - the Volunteer Coordinator, and who I worked with last time I volunteered at Expo West, and she said Yay! and gave me an assignment :D I'll be at the Visitor's Center helping people plan their days and tell them about fun stuff going on. I'll be a Julie McCoy, Cruise Director (heehee)

I'm heading Eastward next week! YAY!

Who of yous will be there?

While it's only 4 easy slabbing hours west of us, it comes at a deadline time involving an October 16 due date, so we can't do it.

Have a ball!

Foy

Take the Blue Ridge Parkway over to Cherokee if you have time. Looking Glass falls is a short way off the parkway as well if you like that sort of thing.

_D3S9095-Edit.jpg

Advmoto18 said:
We can't make it either.

Foy, we so detest I-40, we take 64 out of Cary when we head up to Waynesville and Robbinsville.
If we were starting from the western side of Cary/Apex instead of North Raleigh we'd do the same, even when headed for Boone/Blowing Rock. But the gauntlet of the Beltline and all of the stoplights to and beyond Jordan Lake takes some of the shine off of that option.

Foy

hoyden said:
Boo deadlines!

Now I'm trying to decide which way to go / back.

https://goo.gl/maps/z8KqZ46DhxH2
Ladybug,

Having developed some notions of what appeals to your traveling sensibilities may I suggest a visit to Hot Springs, NC on your way to or from Asheville/Biltmore. Hot Springs is a trail town and a river town where the Appalachian Trail crosses the French Broad River. It's less than an hour's drive from ExPo East at the Biltmore House grounds. The AT, in fact, goes right down the 4 block long main street. The Hot Springs Resort campground is overpriced but offers campsites right on the river and just a 3-5 minute walk from some cool cafes, restaurants, and bars. Also overpriced, but heavenly, is an hour or two reservation in one of the hot spring tubs, Jacuzzi style outdoor tubs with the natural mineral spring waters pumped into them. The tubs are fully privacy screened for CO use. Also just a short walk from the campground or from town. If you're willing to drive a few miles, the Rocky Bluff NF campground is just 3 miles south on NC 209. You might also consider a hike up Max Patch Bald, about a 45 minute drive south of Hot Springs and just north of I-40. Max Patch is reached by a network of paved and gravel roads and is but a half-mile or less walk, picking up a few hundred feet of elevation, with 360 degree views of the Blue Ridge and Smokies. The AT goes directly over the top of Max Patch. And i'd probably avoid it altogether on Sat or Sun. By the way, easy return to (or from) I-40 from Max Patch via Cold Springs Road, joining I-40 at the Harmon Den exit just 7 miles inside of the Tennessee state line.

Of the two routes you wonder about, I vastly prefer the Paducah/Nashville/Knoxville route. It's a good bit flatter than the parts of I-64 crossing southern IN, and the stretch of I-75 from Lexington to Knoxville can be downright terrifying due to highballing trucks running 80-90 mph down the long grades from London/Corbin into K-town. I avoid that stretch whenever I can. Nashville and Knoxville can be tedious during rush hours, but so can Louisville and Lexington.

Foy

Hi Charlie! I've been wanting to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway - thanks for the reminder!

OOooooh, thanks Foy! I /hate/ those super fast superslabs. I think 55--> 40 West was like that, if my memory serves. Got onto it last winter and it was terrifying. And I'm a good driver who loves driving, and rode motorcycle year-round in Chicago for 7 years!

I probably won't have time for something as enjoyable as the Hot Springs resort area, but a nice short hike would probably make the doggies pretty happy :-D Okay, I just read the part about hot springs tubs. Wish it wasn't all so pricey!

I'll map out those places today and see what all it looks like. Thanks!

Hi gaylon!

I hope so!

My old back injury - the one that re-appeared in Cathedral Valley last year and I was lucky that Goblin Valley campground wasn't too too far... hard to even pop-up. - it's re-re-appeared. Ugh. Crept up on my yesterday (or Sat eve?) and got somewhat worse today. Yay lower back locking up. That's fun. Went to a Chiro today and got poked and prodded and electro-shocked. Not sure it did much, but she did pop my upper back and that felt good.

Walking helps, standing not so much. Tried to work, but sitting locks it up. Did almost 9000 steps today. Ha!
Spent today walking, icing, lying flat - that's where I am now. Took some ibuprofens a few hours ago. Flat, watching Star Trek Next Generation (TNG for ya geeks) with the doggies. Eyeballing the Flexeril I still have from original injury in 2011. I assume it's still good?

I'm scheduled to leave Wednesday morning for Expo.
I might need stronger drugs.

Drat!!!! Ice is good. Hot bath and easy stretching will help too. Keep IB's in you for inflammation.

Sorry to hear Hoyden
Genial twisting and holding that position in a warm-hot shower has helped me. Just be careful. Also suck in your gut and keep it pulled in holding those muscles tight..
Russ

Edit sp

Back
Top Bottom