Overland Expo East - no destination TR

hoyden

Lady Bug
What fun! Here's my trip report with a bunch o' pics :-D

http://no-destination.org/index.php/2017/10/07/overland-expo-east/

aqr8_D5YCYjNVp_KhSY3wAmq-UvGPHSWYU-BEG3pyMjSaSpiLjLLYFwzGg1tcKjQi6B-JmOFpwz0a1PdmBPS0OzgoucNph_fTv3IRg0aU4vG6wUJjUzbEfeQfECfHIXVMw4ykiOWOf34Hr6g4x-mMbgLPV_e-SBlV6BdKiBTMMpMMTGLdwLzjSPfp_3tEFd7seJ-7eCDfGGVWEhG7t2d9nUhpt4FIcPw84oQlQ_m6ttVinvraOGS2ra0WEB4igEuIBGRw96-Z_XMt2myq5OdkcIPYiTcMlmC1mVtqkIfPd0CgZWZx4B2tvA4uiWeo7ahjiX7nAxxPlNCGBkgJwX0YkqVaF3CyyZ76XYFTD-hl7m-ceCZqq0OVYNFhNlB4FNACyL5VtrSoovsp2n3yThSjduWxl8TFV94WLyX2nfl66LVvxhkxP9w0ls-INRLbNw2l957PzvlqTE3dF3ZU-gF6jNXFMu_YHeoUynbJn5wbrbS-ICRr2zyIFCA5731lH7LEUBRvSQtDTHPvD77DPl6x0-vap7dsTIru75_cwHwgGdXQi2lrYErf2_fU31MRiJ6M5o1je4gx_qSMGcu3J7-eo3vB1Z4LXkvHt7o9NpgRAI=w878-h1552-no

Hi Russ!

No snakes! :-(
I like snakes, but I am definitely more wary when I have the dogs. I can totally see Argos going after a rattler....
Although, he's pretty good with his "leave it" command, so maybe it wouldn't be horrible. I need to do some snake training with him.

I enjoyed your report. Would like to get to an Expo one of these years. Love the story about the leveling blocks!

Nice report, Lady Bug!

And you may be forgiven for missing the Blue Ridge Parkway. Access from Asheville is somewhat convoluted and counter-intuitive, and if you really kept it simple and just jumped right back on I-40 from the Biltmore House grounds then found your way to US 276 and US 441, you'd have driven right into GSMNP without ever crossing the BRP, anyway. But now you've plenty of reasons to return.

You may reach other enjoyable parts of the Southern Appalachians from the Midwest with less distance traveled, in the forms of the Monongahela NF and George Washington/Jefferson NF in WV and VA, respectively.

And sincere kudos on finding your way to the Obed River gorge in the "Tennessee Alps". I pride myself in having a lot of familiarity with the lay of the land in parts of the Cumberland Plateau west and north of Knoxville, but you pretty much found your way to the end of the earth unassisted, and I've never been over there myself. But it's on the list now, thanks to you. You were within a few miles of Brushy Mountain State Prison, where James Earl Ray served time, escaped, and was recaptured. Tough country indeed, and they were not kidding about rattlers and copperheads. Never have I seen so many rattlers anywhere in the Lower 48 than in the Cumberland Plateau country.

Hoping you get the opportunity to get out again soon!

Foy

Back
Top Bottom