Owyhee June 2010

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I spent 3 nights and 4 days In the Owyhee area on the Oregon/Idaho border. This is how it went down:

Notice: this is an area that straddles the Oregon/Idaho border. Since the wtw area system can only have one gallery per area, photos end up in the Idaho gallery. Sorry for any confusion this may cause.

I made plans to meet Home Skillet at the Succor Creek State Natural Area (or Succor Creek State Park depending on what map you are looking at). I arrived early to secure a spot and get dinner started in my new dutch oven.

Entering Succor Creek Canyon:
gallery_2_94_203272.jpg

Snagged a good spot right on the creek:
gallery_2_94_410601.jpg

Home Skillet arrives and the dutch oven and fire are well under way. You can check the results of my dutch oven work in my dutch oven thread.
gallery_2_94_164115.jpg

With the help of a little beer and a little whiskey, we had a great night:
gallery_2_94_99871.jpg

The next morning Home Skillet tries his luck in the creek:
gallery_2_94_561065.jpg

There is a lot of rockhounding in this area. Here's a shot of the campground at Succor Creek from a talas slope where we were hunting thundereggs:
gallery_2_94_60471.jpg

Heading south, looking back at the campground:
gallery_2_94_225945.jpg

I was blown away by Leslie Gulch and I could post a hundred photos and not even begin to capture it so I'll post some here but I encourage readers to check out additional photos in the Owyhee gallery. The fabulous Leslie Gulch:
gallery_2_94_138077.jpg

Slocum Creek aerial view:
gallery_2_94_120822.jpg

Inspired by Ted I picked up a video camera and did some initial messing around with it:
[media]

We took the dogs to the lake but I wasn't too impressed. Typical reservoir stuff: garbage, dead fish, and enough thorns and stickers to literally render Diego immobile with crap jammed up between his toes.
gallery_2_94_179210.jpg

What I was impressed with were the opportunities to take some cross country routes up some of the adjacent mountains. The views up here are some of the best I have ever seen anywhere. Climbing the mountain:
gallery_2_94_200924.jpg

However we did pay for these views in one way - this is likely the foxtail capitol of the world:
gallery_2_94_158415.jpg

Next we headed east into the mountains and drove to Silver City. The road from Jordan Valley, Oregon to Silver City is a narrow rough road with a lot of great primitive camping:
gallery_2_94_377014.jpg

Lunch at the historic Idaho Hotel:
gallery_2_94_223057.jpg

Silver City was HOPPING on this weekend day - the town was packed with four wheelers and 4wd vehicles of all sorts:
gallery_2_94_295911.jpg

Silver City is an amazing place - check out more photos at Western Mining History if you are interested: Silver City.

We found a great spot on the creek that night:
gallery_2_94_471644.jpg

I parted ways with Home Skillet and headed out to drive the Owyhee Uplands Scenic Byway. This is a very remote drive through a lot of ranch land and some occasional canyons. An indicator of good times ahead:
gallery_2_94_69099.jpg

Lots of flowers all over:
gallery_2_94_418533.jpg

After the loop I hit some pretty nasty weather and rather than setup in the rain I headed home a day early. Another great trip!

Good stuff as usual. Too bad we rushed by that area on our way home last week.

Inspired by Ted I picked up a video camera and did some initial messing around with it:

A good start, but we need to see you in it.

GEEZ!!!! I JUST missed you guys!!! I spent Sunday night at Slocum campground. Some of those rigs in your pics were still there!!! I did get to meet GSBfree and his wonderful family!!!! Also got my FIRST look at a FWC HAWK!!!!! Funny, I saw his rig at Sportsman's Warehouse in Meridian Friday before I left. Wondered whose rig it was an if they were associated with WTW!!!! Small World!!!

I then went on to Northfork campground and Juniper Mtn. Just got home today so will be working on a TR the next day or two.

Sure sorry I missed you guys!!!! :(

GEEZ!!!! I JUST missed you guys!!! I spent Sunday night at Slocum campground. Some of those rigs in your pics were still there!!! I did get to meet GSBfree and his wonderful family!!!! Also got my FIRST look at a FWC HAWK!!!!! Funny, I saw his rig at Sportsman's Warehouse in Meridian Friday before I left. Wondered whose rig it was an if they were associated with WTW!!!! Small World!!!

I then went on to Northfork campground and Juniper Mtn. Just got home today so will be working on a TR the next day or two.

Sure sorry I missed you guys!!!! :(

SilverTip....We enjoyed meeting you and chatting.....you're right, it's a small world. Hope to see you around and out exploring! G

Back
Top Bottom